or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2161

post #32401 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post
 

Horween is the limiter, not AE. Flawless hides are needed for lighter shell colors like walnut, ravello, and whiskey versus the less-perfect ones needed color 8 and black.

 

Please don't post nonsense.  


lighter colors like cappuccino? 

post #32402 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

It's not even Horween per se. The supply has been very scarce in the past year or so due to the number of factors, such as the overall decrease in consumption of horse meet in Europe, new regulations, etc. I was told things begin to look better, especially as Horween is looking for the new suppliers (Ukraine) outside of its traditional markets (France, Belgium and Quebec). However, I doubt we will ever see the prices for the shell go down and the rare colors to be abundant. 


they should buy from Mongolia... There is loads of horses there, and they are treated as livestock, not pets.  Also, hundreds and hundreds die every winter from the cold.  I lived there for a few years and ate horse meat all the time.

post #32403 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post


Where can I get some horse meat so I can increase the supply of shell? smile.gif

I've actually eaten it once, in Japan. Pretty sure it was raw.


I've eaten it dozens of times while living in Mongolia.  It is quite good, more lean than beef. Horse heart is DELICIOUS!

post #32404 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

It's not even Horween per se. The supply has been very scarce in the past year or so due to the number of factors, such as the overall decrease in consumption of horse meet in Europe, new regulations, etc. I was told things begin to look better, especially as Horween is looking for the new suppliers (Ukraine) outside of its traditional markets (France, Belgium and Quebec). However, I doubt we will ever see the prices for the shell go down and the rare colors to be abundant. 


if the rare colors were abundant they wouldn't be rare, and people wouldn't want to buy them as much.

post #32405 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post


I've eaten it dozens of times while living in Mongolia.  It is quite good, more lean than beef. Horse heart is DELICIOUS!

 


Edited by kentyman - 10/22/13 at 8:50pm
post #32406 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 


they should buy from Mongolia... There is loads of horses there, and they are treated as livestock, not pets.  Also, hundreds and hundreds die every winter from the cold.  I lived there for a few years and ate horse meat all the time.

Could transportation be an issue? Mongolia is landlocked, if memory serves. 

post #32407 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

 

 

LMAO.  Awesome

post #32408 of 47084

Wanted to post my experience with some Alden Leather Defender I just purchased.  I was Mac methoding my shell Alden captoes (which I bought new) and the shell Townleys (also bought new).  I bought the Defender to prevent the dots that form when you get some water spots, etc. 

 

You're supposed to apply the Defender with a cloth and then remove it  AFTER you mac method or shine your shell shoes.  For the Alden's it was no problem. I added the Defender and the same luster and shine remained. For the AEs. the white cloth I used had brown stains that were removed by the Defender.  Even more, the shoes were murky and lost the luster.  The shine definitely was reduced. It was like applying butter to some previously shiny shoes. The Alden cloth had no stains after I used it.

 

So, I reMac'd the Townleys and re-attained the shine. Did not re-apply the Defender.  I probably removed the Defender, but not sure.  It may be that the polish that AE adds on came off a bit, but I don't know. 

 

I've probably Mac'd the Aldens 2-3 times and the Townleys 5 or 6.  I've never applied any Saphir products or Venetian creme to either of these. Just Mac'd and some flannel cloths to bring out the shine. 

post #32409 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Where can I get some horse meat so I can increase the supply of shell? smile.gif

I've actually eaten it once, in Japan. Pretty sure it was raw.

Lol
post #32410 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Wanted to post my experience with some Alden Leather Defender I just purchased.  I was Mac methoding my shell Alden captoes (which I bought new) and the shell Townleys (also bought new).  I bought the Defender to prevent the dots that form when you get some water spots, etc. 

You're supposed to apply the Defender with a cloth and then remove it  AFTER you mac method or shine your shell shoes.  For the Alden's it was no problem. I added the Defender and the same luster and shine remained. For the AEs. the white cloth I used had brown stains that were removed by the Defender.  Even more, the shoes were murky and lost the luster.  The shine definitely was reduced. It was like applying butter to some previously shiny shoes. The Alden cloth had no stains after I used it.

So, I reMac'd the Townleys and re-attained the shine. Did not re-apply the Defender.  I probably removed the Defender, but not sure.  It may be that the polish that AE adds on came off a bit, but I don't know. 

I've probably Mac'd the Aldens 2-3 times and the Townleys 5 or 6.  I've never applied any Saphir products or Venetian creme to either of these. Just Mac'd and some flannel cloths to bring out the shine. 

Why not just use we cordovan care cream?

http://youtu.be/uQiZ7_Pq2ug
post #32411 of 47084
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 


lighter colors like cappuccino? 

Cappucino is a subset of brown/cigar, which do need better hides than color 8 or black. Horween likely produces very little of cappucino-finished shell, relegating those hides for brown, cigar, and dark cognac. 

post #32412 of 47084

So I just took a look at my ("Dark Brown") Cognac McTavishes after my trip to Europe and realized the double butyl soles took a real beating. It seems that broken glass shards in the streets and/or pubs of Basel, Switzerland found their way into the outsole and really did a number on them. It looks like they've been through a cheese grater.

 

I've since taken as much of the glass out as I could, but I wonder if there's anything I can to do the damaged sole. Perhaps Conditioner/Cleaner or Leather Lotion to replenish the dry fibers?

 

Right, with glass, with flash:

 

Right, with glass:

 

Right, with glass, closeup:

 

Left, no glass:

post #32413 of 47084

 

Should I use shoe trees in my AE Bayfield (CXL leather)?  My feet tend to sweat more with these than with any others - I've just been wearing them around the house trying to get the new-boot squeak out of them and my socks are damp.  

 

I'd like to dry them out with shoe trees, but I'm afraid they'll deform the boots.  Please advise.

post #32414 of 47084

Yes. Always shoe trees in leather shoes/boots. 

 

If the shoe trees are the correct size they shouldn't deform the shoes.

post #32415 of 47084
My McTavish soles look just like that after 3 days in London last weekend. Was wondering what to do about it (if anything)...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread