or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2151

post #32251 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post

Maybe I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just spotted the Merlot webgems on the AE site.
Quick question, since it's hard to tell the exact colour from their photography, is the merlot close to burgundy?
I already have some MacNeils in chili. Would the merlot be too similar?



Chili McAllister and BB Merlot McAllister. They look nothing alike but both look amazing.
post #32252 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post



Chili McAllister and BB Merlot McAllister. They look nothing alike but both look amazing.

Great.
Thanks.


One further question though. Do the webgems ever turn up at the Shoebank, or Jeffersonville as seconds?
post #32253 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post


Great.
Thanks.


One further question though. Do the webgems ever turn up at the Shoebank, or Jeffersonville as seconds?

 

I wouldn't imagine there would be a lot of them. Remember, seconds only occur when defects or manufacturing errors happen. Webgems are MTO which means there aren't many being made, lowering the chances there being some with defects available.

post #32254 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post

Maybe it is simply that the heel is loose? Replacing them might fix it. I had a heel squeak problem with a pair once and that fixed it.

It's not a heel loose, I can duplicate the squeak by pinching the leather between my fingers on the upper heel area. Where they stitch the leather together at te back. I think it's in the construction.
post #32255 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogz View Post


It's not a heel loose, I can duplicate the squeak by pinching the leather between my fingers on the upper heel area. Where they stitch the leather together at te back. I think it's in the construction.

I've never experienced that. How does it happen? What pieces are rubbing against each other?

post #32256 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post


Great.
Thanks.


One further question though. Do the webgems ever turn up at the Shoebank, or Jeffersonville as seconds?

I got my cognac and orange webgem Ridgeway seconds from the Port Washington, WI factory outlet store.  This was long before Ridgeways went into regular production, just after they were webgems.  And right off the top of my head I can say that I've seen with my own eyes the red, white, & blue webgems and also the jingle bell moc webgems on the seconds shelves in the Port Washington factory outlet store.  So there are three examples that I can think of. 

post #32257 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by salgy View Post


Did you make any changes to the "standard" setup?

I did, I went with a black welt and light brown edge. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'm excited non the less.

post #32258 of 53276

After trying many lasts (1, 5, 8) in many sizes, I can't find one that fits my feet because they are so low volume, especially around the heel and ankle.  This leads to the dreaded topline bulge with every downstep I make.  I have a pair of Macneil's coming in (last 7), and I'll see if those work.  Other than that, I am thinking I might just need to stick to boots.  

 

How do you all feel about fifth street boots with a suit? I wish they didn't have the broguing, but I think I can deal with it so that my shoes don't bulge at the topline.

 

Alternatively, any good recommendations for low volume lasts, or balmoral captoe boots without broguing?

post #32259 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1KTA222 View Post

After trying many lasts (1, 5, 8) in many sizes, I can't find one that fits my feet because they are so low volume, especially around the heel and ankle.  This leads to the dreaded topline bulge with every downstep I make.  I have a pair of Macneil's coming in (last 7), and I'll see if those work.  Other than that, I am thinking I might just need to stick to boots.  

How do you all feel about fifth street boots with a suit? I wish they didn't have the broguing, but I think I can deal with it so that my shoes don't bulge at the topline.

Alternatively, any good recommendations for low volume lasts, or balmoral captoe boots without broguing?

I wear my brown fifth street boots almost exclusively with suits. I've never had a problem at all with bulge. I also wear several higher boots with suits as well (i.e. Carmina Balmoral Boots & Alden Captoe Boots).
post #32260 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1KTA222 View Post
 

Alternatively, any good recommendations for low volume lasts, or balmoral captoe boots without broguing?

 

Have you tried shoes on the 3 lasts? It's not a boot, but  Harrison is a cap toe balmoral on the 3 last. Not sure if its a low volume last as I havent tried it personally.

post #32261 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

I've never experienced that. How does it happen? What pieces are rubbing against each other?

It's almost like the outer leather stitched to the inner leather lining has movement between the peices. What ever is used to form the heel in structure and shape between the pieces of leather has movement between the layers. That's when I can pinch the layers on the heel and create the squeak.
post #32262 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1KTA222 View Post

After trying many lasts (1, 5, 8) in many sizes, I can't find one that fits my feet because they are so low volume, especially around the heel and ankle.  This leads to the dreaded topline bulge with every downstep I make.  I have a pair of Macneil's coming in (last 7), and I'll see if those work.  Other than that, I am thinking I might just need to stick to boots.  

How do you all feel about fifth street boots with a suit? I wish they didn't have the broguing, but I think I can deal with it so that my shoes don't bulge at the topline.

Alternatively, any good recommendations for low volume lasts, or balmoral captoe boots without broguing?

The 2-222 last is very low volume. There aren't many current models left that are based on it, but outlets should have more models available.
post #32263 of 53276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post

The 2-222 last is very low volume. There aren't many current models left that are based on it, but outlets should have more models available.

MTO anyone?
post #32264 of 53276

Thanks for the advice guys.

 

For the 3 last, I think I'll try the Harrison or Rutledge next and see if they fit.  

 

For the 2 last, actually, my most well fitting shoes (at least in the ball and forefoot) are the Ralph Lauren Saunders, which I am told are on the 2 last.  Do you guys know of names of any balmorals from the 2 last that I might be able to find at the outlets?

 

Lastly, I think I remember seeing in the past couple of weeks that someone was able to make a captoe MTO without broguing (ie strand or fifth street without the broguing). Is that the case? I would really think hard about a fifth street shell MTO without the broguing.  

post #32265 of 53276
Just noticed the Franciscan monk strap is now available in merlot...
I've not tried on the 333 last before, I only have Park Aves and Strands. How different is the sizing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread