or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2134

post #31996 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post


I agree with this. I rarely use Renovateur on my shell shoes. It seems like the neutral Saphir cordovan creme does a good job moisturizing the shell.

Regarding the deer bone, I have one but rarely use it. You can see it adding fat/oil when using it, but I tend to find that brushing and occasional cordovan creme gets the job done by itself.

Good to know thanks. I was going to use the deer bone mostly for smoothing out some imperfections on my daltons since they were seconds. I'll post before and after if it works..or doesn't :)

post #31997 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

I think I'm unsubscribing from this thread for a bit. I've spent way too much money on shoes lately and think I'm in a good place as far as what I own goes.

I went to the CH and AE stores today, but ended up getting a pair of much cheaper Aldo black boots. For now, I think I'm happy with my one pair of AE daltons. When I start interviews for medical school next year, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park avenue's for interviews. Maybe they'll have a shaker height in black by then. For now, I think I'm good. You guys rubbed off on me in the sense that I'm not the biggest fan of black shoes, so skimping on those was a good idea for me for now.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably pop in every now and then and then have to wipe the drool off my keyboard :)


I just got an idea for my masters degree project in psychology.  I want to do a case study involving this thread!

 

The people running Allen Edmonds sure know their stuff when it comes to sales psychology.  I realize they aren't the ones who started this thread, but putting us in connection with Allison was a genius business move on their part.  Yes, I know, we make up a very small portion of Allen Edmonds' earnings... but you get the point.

 

and no, I don't have a problem with them aiding my shoe addiction.

post #31998 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post
 

Yeah. They look like blobs. I wasn't going to say anything, but...


yeah me too.  The cap looks waaaaay to short to me...  Makes the shoe look very bulbous.

post #31999 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Thanks for the advice, SB. I was also convincing myself that the bone is unlikely to possess any magic properties, and the fact that it transfers "oils" to the shell, is probably a myth. I wonder if anyone compare the effect achieved from the bone vs. a tea spoon? Sounds like a worthy experiment. 
I am a professor of anatomy and physiology. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of bone and can tell you all about the molecular structure, etc. I can also assure you that bone does not have any oils to transfer. Any oils one might see when boning are being squeezed from the cordovan.
post #32000 of 42907
Hey guys, after wearing poor quality shoes for so long I finally stepped up and bought my first two pairs of allen edmonds during the rediscover america sale with a 20% off coupon. I decided to go with these two instead of going with a black and brown park avenue since I wanted something with a little more impact that I could wear with a suit as well as business casual. I really like them so I don't want to return them but I wanted some opinions on whether or not the shoe is too big for me. My toe comes up to around the red line. I also bought one half a size down with the same width and that feels a lot more natural and snug, but my pinky toe seems to be pushing against the outside of the shoe so I think it will probably start to hurt after wearing it for awhile. For the bigger size, as long as I lace the shoes tightly it doesn't seem to be falling off my foot, but I'm wondering if I should just give up the shoes and wait awhile for another good deal on a size E width. Thanks for your help.



post #32001 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBear View Post

I am a professor of anatomy and physiology. I've spent a lot of time with a lot of bone and can tell you all about the molecular structure, etc. I can also assure you that bone does not have any oils to transfer. Any oils one might see when boning are being squeezed from the cordovan.

Aren't the bones used in shoe care oil infused after the fact?
post #32002 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post




Aren't the bones used in shoe care oil infused after the fact?

 

I'd imagine. the bone I got from hangar project recently definitely left the pair of shells I used it on with an oily substance. I cant see it being brought up out of the shell with how little force I applied.

post #32003 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

I think I'm unsubscribing from this thread for a bit. I've spent way too much money on shoes lately and think I'm in a good place as far as what I own goes.

I went to the CH and AE stores today, but ended up getting a pair of much cheaper Aldo black boots. For now, I think I'm happy with my one pair of AE daltons. When I start interviews for medical school next year, I'll probably pick up a pair of AE Park avenue's for interviews. Maybe they'll have a shaker height in black by then. For now, I think I'm good. You guys rubbed off on me in the sense that I'm not the biggest fan of black shoes, so skimping on those was a good idea for me for now.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll probably pop in every now and then and then have to wipe the drool off my keyboard :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by losrockets View Post
 

 

 Pick something comfortable - you're going to be on your feet all day during the interview - the Rockports are good for that. I've found very little use for black captoe bals in medical school, I just think they're too formal for clinic-wear and you won't have time to do much in terms of evening banquets and such.  

 

Most of the people on SF (or regulars on this thread with a fetish for MTOs, at least) would never consider them, but the Fenways may be worth considering.  As for wanting something in black that isn't usually available in that color, you could do an MTO during the spring sale, getting the shoe you want in any color at 20% off.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post

 My toe comes up to around the red line. I also bought one half a size down with the same width and that feels a lot more natural and snug, but my pinky toe seems to be pushing against the outside of the shoe so I think it will probably start to hurt after wearing it for awhile. For the bigger size, as long as I lace the shoes tightly it doesn't seem to be falling off my foot, but I'm wondering if I should just give up the shoes and wait awhile for another good deal on a size E width. Thanks for your help.

On a lace-up, your toes need not be all the way forward in the shoe.  The problem you may encounter, however, is that the shoe will flex in the cap, which doesn't look great and can pinch your toes.  I would probably go a half size down and have the shoes stretched to accommodate your pinky toe.  AE will do this for free.  I had it done on one pair with very good results.

 

 

 

A different issue altogether: why does AE sell pre-tied bow ties and gaudy cummerbunds?  We've let go of the discussion on brand prestige, but if anything would diminish my respect for the brand, this would be it.

post #32004 of 42907

Thanks to everybody who responded to my comment. Didn't mean to offend any sensibilities w/ my mention of Rockport et al. (All of my shoes are currently AE w/ a pair of Alden on the way) I was just throwing it out there based on personal experience in a similar situation. If you can wear leather sole shoes for extended periods of time without discomfort, go for it!

post #32005 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

 

I'd gladly sign that. Even though I don't have a MTO, I do have this:

 

 

I have been gone for months, but I wanted to follow up on round 4 of these McAllisters. Here they are made with the new experimental pattern to remove the toe ridge. Proof that it can be done:

 

 

The only possible blemish I saw was a particularly wrinkled piece of leather in the lacing, either from weaker leather or just sitting in the box wrong, but after some Reno and lacing them properly, I think it's not a big deal:

 

 

Looking forward to wearing these for the first time not-this-but-next weekend at a good friend's wedding!

That's awesome that they agreed on the ridge being an issue.  I noticed the ridge on my AE's wingtip models.  It's great to see that AE is doing things to change this. 

 

Thanks for being the catalyst for this change! 


Edited by beyond - 10/17/13 at 1:56am
post #32006 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Aren't the bones used in shoe care oil infused after the fact?

That is what I understand. Otherwise, I know enough hunters, that I could just get them to harvest this deer bone for me, and I would sell them to all of you and make a fortune... They are infused, they aren't just a deer bone.

 

I set mine on my desk after I first got it, and a few days it left a couple of oily spots where the bone touched the desk.

post #32007 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

 
Yeah. They look like blobs. I wasn't going to say anything, but...


yeah me too.  The cap looks waaaaay to short to me...  Makes the shoe look very bulbous.

agreed, not a fan of the toe shape at all, way too short and round.
post #32008 of 42907

I did try a pair of park avenue's. The salesman told me to size down to an 8E from the 8.5E of my daltons. They fit pretty well, but my heel was coming up. He said that'd go away once the cork bed broke in.

 

I compared the shoe to the fifth street and I'm not sure how i felt about it. The boot was awesome, but there wasn't much to it in terms of the height. It's just like a chukka in that sense. I wanted something more hefty.


Thanks again for all your help folks. I'll probably be back in a year or so heh.

post #32009 of 42907
I would be leery of a salesman who said, don't worry it will get better. It's true that with leather soles there is a break in period, even more so with double leather, but the shoes should be comfortable before you leave the store.
post #32010 of 42907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I would be leery of a salesman who said, don't worry it will get better. It's true that with leather soles there is a break in period, even more so with double leather, but the shoes should be comfortable before you leave the store.
+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread