I don't try to get a high shine usually, except on my black park aves. When I do go for a high shine, I use kiwi black polish and spit shine the toe.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 10:20 am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:30 am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 6/27/15 at 11:31pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2121
Styleforum Top Picks
I wore mine this weekend and realized how disappointingly dull they are. Tonight or later this week I'm going to try to spend a lot of time stripping the factory finishing to see if I can't get down to the shell. I don't have Saphir Reno'Mat, but I'm going to try to git it down with AE Conditioner/Cleaner if possible.
Don't use conditioner/cleaner as that is intended for calfskin. All you need to do is invest the time applying a couple coats of Renovateur to get most of the factory polish off and then regularly wiping them down with a damp rag and brushing them. Once you get down to the bare shell, you can enjoy the modest glow you will get as is, apply Saphir neutral cordovan creme or apply a little paste wax.
Amazon sells first quality shoes, but what you get is a mixed bag. It's not unusual to get shoes with defects and/or creases suggesting someone has them worn around their house for a few days. Amazon is great with free returns, but the problem is that, by the time you have decided you need to order another pair, the sale price is frequently over or your size is sold out. I think someone previously commented that he orders two pairs when he orders from Amazon to deal with this issue.
I'm glad you didn't take that personally. You certainly have an awesome collection of shell cordovan shoes (and non-shell)! I shouldn't have taken your post as one solely directed at me. Good day my friend...
There is no difference in structural integrity between different types of welts used in Goodyear-welted shoes. They are all attached at the inseam in the same manner. Split-reverse welts are sometimes touted as being a bit more weather resistant. However, all they really add is a few millimeters of additional height that may help prevent some water entry when walking on wet surfaces (which can be valuable). A true storm welt does butt up more tightly against the leather upper, creating a better seal than a split-reverse welt, but even it is only providing a marginal amount of additional weather resistance.
To really increase weather resistance (supposedly), you have to move beyond Goodyear-welted shoes into Norwegian-welted (also called Goiser), Veldtschoen, or Bentivegna constructed shoes. These are still welted shoes, and are every bit as durable as Goodyear-welted shoes, but they use some different methods for how the uppers are wrapped, where the stitching is placed (additional rows of waxed stitching), etc. Sorry the image below is in Japanese, but it's one of the better diagrams. The names are in English, if you care to research them further, and you can click on them for a larger view. There are a couple of other methods diagrammed in the below pictures that don't fit into the "more weather resistant" discussion (stitch-down, Norvegese, and regular Norwegian (non-Norwegian-welted)).
I have their brush, which is ok (I better like Collonil Crepe Brush, if you can find it). Fwiw, I believe most if not all AE shoecare stuff is made by Collonil. I also scored a Tarrago Suede Protector on ebay for 9.99 shipped (the same Leffot sells for $17). It's a pretty cool stuff; check out the video of youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnOw_sNVG0A
Other than that, I don't think you will need anything else.
Sandersons arrived this morning and look spectacular. I am a bit surprised at their narrowness, however. Another thread indicated that these are made on a 222 (which seems right, as they appear identical to the Williams apart from the Independence frills). Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but has anyone sized up on this last (vis-à-vis the 65 in particular)?
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 41 seconds ago
- › Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO 48 seconds ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Proposal... 49 seconds ago
- › LIVE TV=Copa America 2015 online..Chile vs Peru live stream 1 minute ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 1 minute ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › LIVE===Copa America 2015 online 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 2 minutes ago
- › TV====Peru vs Chile Live 2 minutes ago
- › Chile vs Peru live stream free 3 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...