or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2039

post #30571 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc121 View Post


I had a discussion with my SA which seemed to indicate this very thought. I mentioned that I had been looking for some Moras for sometime and that there seemed to be some demand for them. He stated this was a little funny because the Moras did not sell very well (at least to his knowledge), which is most likely why they were discontinued originally.

 

 

Though they don't always seem to discontinue shoes based solely on their sales.  They seem to have at least a little bit of the "take it away to increase the appetite and reintroduce it later" approach at times.  Sort of like Disney putting their classic movies in "The Vault" only to be released every decade or so.  Granted, some of this is conjecture, but every now and then, a shoe that seems to be quite popular will be eliminated.

 

Take the Sanford as an example.  When it was reintroduced after being discontinued, their webpage said the following:

 

 

"Believe it or not, once and a while even we make mistakes - like discontinuing this shoe after offering it for more than 15 years. But thanks to our loyal customers, who asked for its return more than any other shoe, we brought back this classic in 2010 and now it is more popular than ever. 
 
"The high demand is no doubt a result of combining its more versatile blucher style with the business-ready brogue detail and a dressed up cap-toe. Comfort also plays a big role in its success given that we designed this model to fit a little bit wider through the ball of the foot - meaning the Sanford ideally suits broader feet or ones with higher insteps or arches. 
 
And yet, less than 3 years later it is discontinued again. :paranoia:
post #30572 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

Interesting interpretation. I would have taken that to just be a tagline, but I'm not saying you are wrong.  Where do they say this by the way?

 

I don't recall, but the accompanying image showed a pair in white (and perhaps other colors--but only the white double-monk emblazoned itself on my memory).

post #30573 of 47098

In response to the posts on Allen edmonds value a page or two back:

 

I just purchased 2 pairs of seconds and a pair of firsts. On one of the pair of cordovan seconds(Strands), there is an excess of material in the stitching of the cap. So the cap looks like it has an extra 2mm to 3mm of material that slightly flares upwards. I was hoping to receive a shoe with a scuff or two, but I received this. Although you will definitely notice it if your face is two or three feet away AND you are actively searching for imperfections, it is harder to see from normal view (standing upright). Once I wear the shoe a couple times, the creases in the cordovan will mask it anyways. I say for half the price of firsts, they are worth it AT THE MOMENT  because I am a grad student.  HOWEVER, once I graduate and start making some money, I would much rather pay full price for firsts and not have these little quirks. I still see the shoe as being a $345 shoe and will be purchasing firsts in the future.

post #30574 of 47098

Can anyone give some advice on the Dundee fit vs. the 5 last? There may be a seconds for me depending on the answer, thanks for any help. 

post #30575 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

 

I don't recall, but the accompanying image showed a pair in white (and perhaps other colors--but only the white double-monk emblazoned itself on my memory).

 

 

Perhaps it was the color they were referring to! :uhoh:

post #30576 of 47098

In comparison to the Park Avenue, AE owners report that the Dundee fits larger, wider and longer.

The Dundee is on the sale last as the Dalton. I've found that the 1-last fits my foot very, very well and is great for those who have a slightly higher instep. 

 

Source: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF3611_1_40000000001_-1

"Ratings Summary."

post #30577 of 47098

On the Mora discussion...  I was just skimming through the AE CEO's blog and his most recent post just happens to mention it:

 

"Speaking of the MORA, it's back by popular demand as another of our new styles this fall.  We discontinued the first Mora edition a few years ago because, frankly, we didn't think we had the fit just right.  After quite a bit of pattern work and "fit trials" on a lot of feet, we felt the style was ready for an overdue comeback.  The MORA 2.0 is the result -- a very classy and unique statement shoe for the office or special nights out."

 

http://allenedmondsblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/sole-with-capital-s.html

post #30578 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

 

Though they don't always seem to discontinue shoes based solely on their sales.  They seem to have at least a little bit of the "take it away to increase the appetite and reintroduce it later" approach at times.  Sort of like Disney putting their classic movies in "The Vault" only to be released every decade or so.  Granted, some of this is conjecture, but every now and then, a shoe that seems to be quite popular will be eliminated.

 

Take the Sanford as an example.  When it was reintroduced after being discontinued, their webpage said the following:

 

 

"Believe it or not, once and a while even we make mistakes - like discontinuing this shoe after offering it for more than 15 years. But thanks to our loyal customers, who asked for its return more than any other shoe, we brought back this classic in 2010 and now it is more popular than ever. 
 
"The high demand is no doubt a result of combining its more versatile blucher style with the business-ready brogue detail and a dressed up cap-toe. Comfort also plays a big role in its success given that we designed this model to fit a little bit wider through the ball of the foot - meaning the Sanford ideally suits broader feet or ones with higher insteps or arches. 
 
And yet, less than 3 years later it is discontinued again. :paranoia:

 

What happened to Sanford is a shame. According to Paul, this was the shoe most requested by the old-time customers and store managers alike. Yet, after just a few years it has been discontinued once again. 

post #30579 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Can anyone give some advice on the Dundee fit vs. the 5 last? There may be a seconds for me depending on the answer, thanks for any help. 
For me, personally. I am the same size in 5 and the Dundee. I am in between sizes, though. I am about an 8.25. The only 5 last I have is a balmoral and considering my high instep I probably should have gone with the 8E. But as far as length and width, the 1 and 5 fit the same for me. The only issue I have with the fit of my 5 last is the lacing gap, although that is subjective.
post #30580 of 47098
Wearing my cappuccino Dundees from the original WebGem today. These now look pretty close to the color of my walnut shell Kenilworths:


I take the same size (9D) in the Dundee as the 5-lasted shoes, but the Dundee feels a little bit roomier around the ball and heel area.
post #30581 of 47098

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (1st post) but given the theme of this thread I figured I would elicit some opinions.  I purchased my first pair of AEs (McAlllister in Walnut) a few weeks back.  I love the fit and have been receiving compliments on them virtually everywhere I go.

 

With that being said I am looking to make two other purchases: one bourbon and one black.  I'm leaning towards the Larchmont in both and the Shoe Factory has them in my size at $179 each. 

 

I love the design of the shoe and view them as both versatile and a design that toes the line between traditional and fashion forward.

 

Who has experience with this style?

post #30582 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

Does anyone know if AE employees work on commission? I got my first pair of AE (Rutledge in walnut) a couple weeks ago and now with the sale I want to pick up a second (Stands in black I think, maybe Mcallister). I was pleased with the guy helping me out and if they are going to be the same price whether I order them online or through the store I see no reason why not to help him earn a commission.

Second question; Strands or Mcallisters (in black)? hmmm....For use with suits.

 

Was hoping someone with a more definite answer could assist you but they are all caught up in a conversation about AE's value and if it is depreciating with the constant sales. :nest: On that topic, I know that retailers and manufacturers bake in sales and defectives into the costs of their products. There for there is a strict equation used by AE to factor in such events and is in no way hurting their bottom line. Of course like any business, you want to make the most money possible but being able to hit margin goals is the first requirement. I frequent different AE locations in NYC and see people buying full price all the time... if you have the money than spend it!!

 

Now back to your question- I dont believe they are on commision. But again, I dont truly know.

post #30583 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmza2 View Post
 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (1st post) but given the theme of this thread I figured I would elicit some opinions.  I purchased my first pair of AEs (McAlllister in Walnut) a few weeks back.  I love the fit and have been receiving compliments on them virtually everywhere I go.

 

With that being said I am looking to make two other purchases: one bourbon and one black.  I'm leaning towards the Larchmont in both and the Shoe Factory has them in my size at $179 each.

 

I love the design of the shoe and view them as both versatile and a design that toes the line between traditional and fashion forward.

 

Who has experience with this style?

Apologies for responding without experience to answer your specific question but: 1) I do like the style and 2) are you sure you would want all three shoes to be full brogue wings? I'd suggest introducing more variety...cap toe...PTB...monk...

post #30584 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmza2 View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (1st post) but given the theme of this thread I figured I would elicit some opinions.  I purchased my first pair of AEs (McAlllister in Walnut) a few weeks back.  I love the fit and have been receiving compliments on them virtually everywhere I go.

With that being said I am looking to make two other purchases: one bourbon and one black.  I'm leaning towards the Larchmont in both and the Shoe Factory has them in my size at $179 each. 

I love the design of the shoe and view them as both versatile and a design that toes the line between traditional and fashion forward.

Who has experience with this style?

in my experience owning both the larchmont and strand, the larchmont definitely runs bigger. its on an elongated last and is also more forgiving in width because its a blucher. I kept the same size in both, but definitely could have gone a half size down.
post #30585 of 47098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post
 

 

Was hoping someone with a more definite answer could assist you but they are all caught up in a conversation about AE's value and if it is depreciating with the constant sales. :nest: On that topic, I know that retailers and manufacturers bake in sales and defectives into the costs of their products. There for there is a strict equation used by AE to factor in such events and is in no way hurting their bottom line. Of course like any business, you want to make the most money possible but being able to hit margin goals is the first requirement. I frequent different AE locations in NYC and see people buying full price all the time... if you have the money than spend it!!

 

Now back to your question- I dont believe they are on commision. But again, I dont truly know.

 

I was told that AE SA do get commission on sales that they make, but not when the AE has sales.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread