or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 2002

post #30016 of 47007
jasonmx3, what other brands are you thinking? stirpot.gif
post #30017 of 47007
^^^Funny you should ask as I am an avid subscriber to your Black Captoe thread. From what you've reviewed, the shapes of C&J, Alfred Sargent and even Loake appeal to me. I'm afraid to try the higher end pairs (JL, G&G) as I'm quite hard on my leather shoes -- I live in a place where people walk a lot instead of drive.
post #30018 of 47007
I walk and catch the train to work everyday, and walk to see clients, so my shoes get a bit of wear too.

So this is when rotation comes into handy, don't you already have quite a few pair of AEs.
post #30019 of 47007
Yes, I do have a decent rotation (AEs, etc). I wear each pair about twice or thrice a month. But on those days when I wear them, I walk or run to catch trains with them and, occasionally, walk in the rain and puddles during sudden downpours.

I may give JLs and G&Gs a try; but currently I feel more comfortable abusing my shoes when they're not close to the thousand dollar price range. crazy.gif
post #30020 of 47007

I've considered replacing my PAs a few times since they aren't the sleekest. Every time I think about it, I get nostalgic as they are my first pair of AEs and I like the idea of supporting American business with great customer service. I also don't wear a black captoe very often as I work in a "business casual" environment.

 

That being said, if my next pair of shoes aren't a pair of cordovan Strands, I might be looking at AS or C&J for a pair of brown captoes, just to mix up my rotation. Although I probably need to convince myself some moreto spend $600 on one pair of calfskins vs $600 on a pair of AE cordovans, or 2-3 pairs of AE calfs. There lies the dilemma....

post #30021 of 47007

What a lovely sight to behold... :slayer:

 

 

More pics to come...

post #30022 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

Rl sandersons in brown today!

3u9ydede.jpg

 

Those look great! How do they size compared to the 565 last?

post #30023 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

I've considered replacing my PAs a few times since they aren't the sleekest. Every time I think about it, I get nostalgic as they are my first pair of AEs and I like the idea of supporting American business with great customer service. I also don't wear a black captoe very often as I work in a "business casual" environment.

That being said, if my next pair of shoes aren't a pair of cordovan Strands, I might be looking at AS or C&J for a pair of brown captoes, just to mix up my rotation. Although I probably need to convince myself some moreto spend $600 on one pair of calfskins vs $600 on a pair of AE cordovans, or 2-3 pairs of AE calfs. There lies the dilemma....
I wish they'd bring back the Byron. Mine in brown get pulled out almost whenever I'm in a suit during the day (as rare as that is). It was a punched captoe on the 4 last, rather more chiseled and a bit sleeker than the PA; sounds like it might suit your needs.

Maybe see if it's available for StyleForvm MTO...?

post #30024 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

 

I think it's an urban legend that AE and Alden use inferior calf/shell on BB models as they use on the shoes under their own brand (and I believe there was an extensive discussion--and possible not just one--about this in AE and Alden threads). I personally can't think of any compelling reason for AE/Alden to do so.

 

 

I don't think there is any indication that the leather is inferior either.  I can't count how many times I've examined the BB versions, and the leather quality has never struck me as being any different.

 

That said, don't automatically assume your last statement is true when you are considering shoes made for another company by a particular manufacturer.  Unless the manufacturer has specific rules about not changing the quality of their product, then it is the retailer who determines what the final product looks like (for better or worse).  Many retailers sell inferior products compared to what is typically made by the manufacturer as part of their standard line.  Brooks Brothers does sell shoes that aren't necessarily at the same level as their manufacturer's standard product (Peal and Co. Shoes being one of them in my opinion).  The Crockett and Jones shoes I've examined in person have some nicer finishing details than what I see in the Peal and Co. shoes that are made by C & J at Brooks Brothers.  Of course, it can also go the other way...  I think some retailers can have nicer products made by a manufacturer than what is typical for that manufacturer to make.

post #30025 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitown View Post
 

I checked with AE and they stated that really the only difference is going to be your outsole, all the other components are exactly the same as Allen Edmonds shoes.

 

 

Don't forget about the Poron insole...

post #30026 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post



Interesting! I had never noticed how far apart the eyelets are on the Loakes. I find the PA's look more sleek because of the number and placement of the eyelets even though the last is clearly less "chiseled." Thanks for the comparison shot

 



Funny you said that, because I pretty much said the exact same thing over in the Captoe thread when he first posted them.
post #30027 of 47007

Can anyone speak as to the quality of these Peal & Co. chukka boots in comparison to the AE Amok? I was able to snag a pair for $112 on GILT.

 

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.%C2%AE-Chukka-Field-Boots/614H,default,pd.html

 

 

post #30028 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

^^^Funny you should ask as I am an avid subscriber to your Black Captoe thread. From what you've reviewed, the shapes of C&J, Alfred Sargent and even Loake appeal to me. I'm afraid to try the higher end pairs (JL, G&G) as I'm quite hard on my leather shoes -- I live in a place where people walk a lot instead of drive.

Carmina has some great choices as well. I'm probably going to purchase a replacement for my Park Avenues on the Forest last this Fall. Simpson and Rain lasts are nice as well, but I don't like how overly elongated lasts look on my size 12D's.
post #30029 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post
 

 

Those look great! How do they size compared to the 565 last?

 

In my opinion (some may disagree), They run much narrower and a tad shorter than the 5 last. I am usually a 8.5E in the 5 last, and I fit a 9E in the RL bluchers (slaton and sandersons). I had tried the 8.5E and they were just way too tight on my slightly wide foot. 9Es fit a tad loose in the heel, but otherwise are perfect. There are others here who wear the same size as their 5 last size and are fine with it, their feet may be more forgiving than mine

post #30030 of 47007
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post
 

 

In my opinion (some may disagree), They run much narrower and a tad shorter than the 5 last. I am usually a 8.5E in the 5 last, and I fit a 9E in the RL bluchers (slaton and sandersons). I had tried the 8.5E and they were just way too tight on my slightly wide foot. 9Es fit a tad loose in the heel, but otherwise are perfect. There are others here who wear the same size as their 5 last size and are fine with it, their feet may be more forgiving than mine

 

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your insight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread