or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1997

post #29941 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

What does this usually entail?

I just got my catalog in the mail today! Roughly 15% off all AE branded items, with 13 styles marked deeper. Also, some leather goods and all socks 25% off.
post #29942 of 49594

I posted all shoes and prices for the upcoming rediscover america sale several pages back. 

post #29943 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

What does this usually entail?

EVERYTHING will be on sale a minimum of 15% There are 13 featured 1st quality up to 30% off. Leather goods and appearal is also on sale.

post #29944 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBear View Post

Looking for thoughts, impressions, and experience with the Norwich (single monk), especially brown shell.
I just bought a pair in brown cordovan a month ago. They are fantastic. Great fit and style. The nearly whole cut design of the Norwich really shows off the cordovan.
post #29945 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

I believe I've decided on my shell cordovan MTO......thoughts?  Opinions?

Cappuccino cordovan MacNeil
Double butyl sole
Split reverse welt
Light brown transparent for sole edge dressing (think about what the Neumok welt/sole looks like).

So, basically, take a cappuccino MacNeil and put it on the sole/welt of a Neumok.  I'm aiming for a more casual shoe, hence the lighter sole/welt. 

Sounds gorgeous. My order is not far off from that.

Cappuccino Leeds, split reverse, chili edge trim and double butyl. I'm hoping it doesn't take the 6-8 week estimate. My order went in the beginning of Sept.
post #29946 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Sounds gorgeous. My order is not far off from that.

Cappuccino Leeds, split reverse, chili edge trim and double butyl. I'm hoping it doesn't take the 6-8 week estimate. My order went in the beginning of Sept.

 

Patrick, would you mind posting pictures of your Leeds once you get them? I am thinking of the Cappuccino Leeds as well, but will be curious to see yours first. Sadly, AE might be out of cappuccino shell by then...

post #29947 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbhrb View Post


I just bought a pair in brown cordovan a month ago. They are fantastic. Great fit and style. The nearly whole cut design of the Norwich really shows off the cordovan.

 

Pics? I see you had a heel tap problem...fixed? Are your initial concerns of the elastic at the strap resolved?

post #29948 of 49594
Does anyone have an opinion on how the Mora 2.0 fits compared to something on the 5 last? I have a pair of 8D Fifth Aves that are very snug width and volume wise - not enough to make me not wear them, but enough to ensure I'd want something a little bigger for my next pair!
post #29949 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


Sounds gorgeous. My order is not far off from that.

Cappuccino Leeds, split reverse, chili edge trim and double butyl. I'm hoping it doesn't take the 6-8 week estimate. My order went in the beginning of Sept.

 

Based off of my last few MTO's I would not be surprised if it is close to 10-12 weeks...

post #29950 of 49594
Rl sandersons in brown today!

3u9ydede.jpg
post #29951 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

I wasn't aware that the lining could be changed....good to know, even though I'm not sure if I'll opt for another color. 

 

As far as sole edge colors go, my impression is that  natural is the lightest, followed by light brown transparent, followed by chili.....right? 

 

Any reason why you went with one over the other? 

 

And did you go with a wheeled edge?

 

So I asked Allison about the JR vs. butyl and here's what she said:

 

The JR Rendendbach outsole is made with a higher grade leather, it’s a little more “heavy duty”. The Double Butyl is our standard double oak leather outsole used on our Calf version of the Leeds, impregnated with oils to help repel moisture. I would not say one is superior to other, it’s based on how you will be wearing the footwear, and person preference. I feel if you are going to invest in the upper being shell cordovan, you are better off going with the Rendenbach outsole. 

post #29952 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post


Oh I wouldn't call that the dark #8. It's not as light as it sometimes is, but my wallet and watch strap are both much, much, much darker than that, much closer to the #8 pictures AE has on their website. My 721s are more like the picture you sent. Though, they've gotten a bit darker over the past year, from sunlight I suppose. Anyway, that is a gorgeous color of #8, I hope my MacNeils are like that.

 

Thanks - I like they way they turned out too, but they are certainly darker than my older AE burgundy shell: 

 

700  700 AE Macneil  cambridge 1.jpg

 

Good luck with yours!  If they arrive darker than you would like, do some damp cloth + brushing... 

post #29953 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Does anyone have an opinion on how the Mora 2.0 fits compared to something on the 5 last? I have a pair of 8D Fifth Aves that are very snug width and volume wise - not enough to make me not wear them, but enough to ensure I'd want something a little bigger for my next pair!

mora 2.0 is on the 108 last: most people are familiar with this last on the Delray. It is a fuller fit than the 5 last that your Fifth Aves are on, and just a bit shorter.
post #29954 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

 

So I asked Allison about the JR vs. butyl and here's what she said:

 

The JR Rendendbach outsole is made with a higher grade leather, it’s a little more “heavy duty”. The Double Butyl is our standard double oak leather outsole used on our Calf version of the Leeds, impregnated with oils to help repel moisture. I would not say one is superior to other, it’s based on how you will be wearing the footwear, and person preference. I feel if you are going to invest in the upper being shell cordovan, you are better off going with the Rendenbach outsole. 

 

Thanks for the research, and I agree with her.  I always go with JR if I can.  

post #29955 of 49594
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBear View Post
 

 

Pics? I see you had a heel tap problem...fixed? Are your initial concerns of the elastic at the strap resolved?

 

I emailed AE and they immediately provided a UPS shipping label to have it fixed.  I didn't have a box to ship it in so I kept putting it off until I decided to just have a cobbler glue it on for a few bucks.  The heel tap kind of caught on my desk chair and it came off.  I was a little miffed as it didn't take very much force for it to come off. However, I wouldn't let that deter you from getting them.  I'm picking it up from the cobbler tomorrow so I could take pictures then.

 
As far as the strap goes it just seemed like a weird thing for elastic to be part of a cordovan shoe.  Some people on here explained they had durability issues with the noriwch when they were using fully leather straps.  The elastic fixed that.  I emailed AE and they confirmed the elastic can be replaced during recrafting so I'm not worried.
 
Basically, if you are looking for a shell monk strap the Norwich is a great choice.  I'm very happy all things considered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread