or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1995

post #29911 of 53263
I'm a newb to AE, and this thread just runs to fast to keep up. Is the 2 for $250 sale still on? I emailed shoebank a few days ago, but have yet to receive a response.
post #29912 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

I'm a newb to AE, and this thread just runs to fast to keep up. Is the 2 for $250 sale still on? I emailed shoebank a few days ago, but have yet to receive a response.

 

Give them a call for faster service- if the sale is still going on, you dont want to waste more time waiting.

post #29913 of 53263
Has anyone discussed with AE their ability/willingness to use natural shell cordovan? Not walnut, but true natural, like Rancourt has been known to use? I'm thinking how awesome a pair of natty shell MacNeils with a natural welt, double oak sole would look.

Just to check, is Allison's email the obvious first name at allenedmonds.com? And is it spelled with one L or two?
Edited by wdahab - 9/25/13 at 7:48am
post #29914 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Has anyone discussed with AE their ability/willingness to use natural shell cordovan? Not walnut, but true natural, like Rancourt has been known to use? I'm thinking how awesome a pair of natty shell MacNeils with a natural welt, double oak sole would look.

Just to check, is Allison's email the obvious first name at allenedmonds.com? And is it spelled with one L or two?

 

I have been told from a few different people at AE that they have no interest in carrying difficult to get cordovan. Moving forward they will only be carrying: Dark brown, burgundy and black

post #29915 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Has anyone discussed with AE their ability/willingness to use natural shell cordovan? Not walnut, but true natural, like Rancourt has been known to use? I'm thinking how awesome a pair of natty shell MacNeils with a natural welt, double oak sole would look.

Just to check, is Allison's email the obvious first name at allenedmonds.com? And is it spelled with one L or two?
Actually it is ameyer@

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I have been told from a few different people at AE that they have no interest in carrying difficult to get cordovan. Moving forward they will only be carrying: Dark brown, burgundy and black

AE told me this is as well. They have no plans to get any other color shell besides the three mentioned in the future.
post #29916 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

I believe I've decided on my shell cordovan MTO......thoughts?  Opinions?

 

Cappuccino cordovan MacNeil

Double butyl sole

Split reverse welt

Light brown transparent for sole edge dressing (think about what the Neumok welt/sole looks like).

 

So, basically, take a cappuccino MacNeil and put it on the sole/welt of a Neumok.  I'm aiming for a more casual shoe, hence the lighter sole/welt. 

 

This is exactly what I came up with, except for an even lighter sole edge (somewhere in-between natural and chili). I also opted for the metal eyelets and blue lining. 

post #29917 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

 

This is exactly what I came up with, except for an even lighter sole edge (somewhere in-between natural and chili). I also opted for the metal eyelets and blue lining. 

 

Also, I opted for the JR sole rather than double butyl. 

post #29918 of 53263
Disappointing, especially as natural shell isn't really "difficult to get" if you aren't trying to get a specific shade (like, not trying to get ravello or something hand-dyed) but rather just get a plain piece.
post #29919 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Disappointing, especially as natural shell isn't really "difficult to get" if you aren't trying to get a specific shade (like, not trying to get ravello or something hand-dyed) but rather just get a plain piece.
I don't think it's a matter of it being difficult to get. If you aren't dying it, you have no way to cover the imperfections. That is the reason #8, black and brown are so relatively "plentiful".
post #29920 of 53263
Yeah, I understand that. But it's not as rare as the colors that have to be darkened from the natural, like ravello or whiskey, and where people flip out if its not the exact shade they want. Okay, well I'm sending her the request anyway, and I'll put in the caveat that I don't mind if there are minor imperfections in the natural shell.
post #29921 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Yeah, I understand that. But it's not as rare as the colors that have to be darkened from the natural, like ravello or whiskey, and where people flip out if its not the exact shade they want. Okay, well I'm sending her the request anyway, and I'll put in the caveat that I don't mind if there are minor imperfections in the natural shell.
I am pretty sure the only reasons those colors are rare is because of the shells you have to start with. The colors themselves are not rare. Natural shell would be even more rare for this reason. Not sure how Rancourt does it, tho...
post #29922 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

 

This is exactly what I came up with, except for an even lighter sole edge (somewhere in-between natural and chili). I also opted for the metal eyelets and blue lining. 

I wasn't aware that the lining could be changed....good to know, even though I'm not sure if I'll opt for another color. 

 

As far as sole edge colors go, my impression is that  natural is the lightest, followed by light brown transparent, followed by chili.....right? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

 

Also, I opted for the JR sole rather than double butyl. 

Any reason why you went with one over the other? 

 

And did you go with a wheeled edge?

post #29923 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

Disappointing, especially as natural shell isn't really "difficult to get" if you aren't trying to get a specific shade (like, not trying to get ravello or something hand-dyed) but rather just get a plain piece.

 

I am personally not a huge fan of natural shell. I have seen it pretty aged and I dont think it develops much in the way of patina. I am guessing because there is no color added there is not much in the way of contrast that develops

post #29924 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

 

I am personally not a huge fan of natural shell. I have seen it pretty aged and I dont think it develops much in the way of patina. I am guessing because there is no color added there is not much in the way of contrast that develops

 

Interesting, would you care to share some examples? I've always just assumed natural shell to look somewhat like walnut

post #29925 of 53263
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

I am almost positive the Independence sale will only apply to the firsts. Moreover, there's no reason to buy 2nds with the 15% discount, since you can get 25% off coupon at Jeffersonville OH store any time. 

 

How can one get this 25% off coupon at any time?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread