or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1971

post #29551 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmann View Post
 

 

 

 

Here are a few more pictures of my cappuccino Strands. I did go with a chili welt instead of the standard brown, and also added a wheeled edge.

 

 

 

 

 

Sweet!!!

 

Great choice.

post #29552 of 53218

Would attaching a slightly higher heel sole affect the shoe (other than making the heel slightly higher)? I am thinking of having the heels of my AEs replaced when they get worn-out (I wear out heels really quickly), and I would prefer using the J. Rendendach toplifts as I have them on my other pairs and they are really well-made.

 

My concern is the JR heel soles are higher by about 2-3mm (c .08 of an inch) when compared to the original AE heel soles. Would that have any affect on the shoes at all?

 

These are the ones I'm referring to:

 

post #29553 of 53218

Anyone know how long the 2/250 is continuing? What are the odds that a stock list I received on monday is still relatively current?

post #29554 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogz View Post


Mac method is overrated and not proven over a longth period of time or wear.

+ he gets no credit for the words "wear in good health". Those words have been spoken for many years across many interwebs.

 

my version of break in method is lace up and hit the pavements. that being said, my toe end of the sole does tend to wear aggressively. *maybe* the 'mac method' of wearing for a couple hours on a carpeted surface would help break the sole in and minimize that wear. my amount of care on the matter is nil.

 
concerning the aggressive brushing etc. I cannot achieve a shine that has been displayed by Mac, and others throughout the alden thread. I employ no paste, just some reno from time to time..
 
I'd honestly love to send a pair of well worn shoes to a forum member to see what can be accomplished. either that, or I'll wait for alden or B. Nelson to do a resole and just refinish the uppers then.
 
just my .o2
post #29555 of 53218

The only part about the "Mac Method" I believe in is the constant brushing. Brushing shell for long periods of time DOES bring out a shine. However, I have not had any luck using the method to remove factory finishing or old polish and gunk from the leather. 

 

Mayhaps the method is only something that works on Aldens?

post #29556 of 53218
Burgundy Cambridge today
post #29557 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocky View Post
 

Anyone know how long the 2/250 is continuing? What are the odds that a stock list I received on monday is still relatively current?

 

Until sept 22nd, as far as odds, it really depends on your size (if its popular like 10D then odds are probably low) and depends on the amount they had of the model youre looking at.

post #29558 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post
 

The only part about the "Mac Method" I believe in is the constant brushing. Brushing shell for long periods of time DOES bring out a shine. However, I have not had any luck using the method to remove factory finishing or old polish and gunk from the leather.

 

Mayhaps the method is only something that works on Aldens?

 

 I used the Mac Method to remove the factory polish from my shell patriots.  It took a long time (at least a month or more) before the cloth came back clear, but it did eventually work.  That said, I am a huge believer in using  Saphir's cordovan creme on shell occasionally to nourish the shell and bring out a nice shine.

post #29559 of 53218
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 

Got my factory seconds Allen Edmonds Cambridges in Black Shell Cordovan the other day... Finally had a few moments to snag a few pictures of them today. They are my first pair of Black Shell Cordovan. I have most other shades of Shell Cordovan, but have never made the plunge into Black. These will be replacing my well used Black McAllisters (which are calf). Hope that you enjoy them! They look terrific especially for being seconds. The right shoe has some ever so slight creasing in them and that is why I think that they are seconds... Nothing that wouldn't happen in the first three minutes of doing the carpet break-in and they are well placed, so I have no gripes here. Definite keepers! Without further ado, I will let the shoes speak for themselves this time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hope that you all have a terrific night!

 

Thanks,

Mike

 

Congrats! You take great pix.  Look forward to getting some "worn in" pix with the rolls showing.

post #29560 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Got my factory seconds Allen Edmonds Cambridges in Black Shell Cordovan the other day... Finally had a few moments to snag a few pictures of them today. They are my first pair of Black Shell Cordovan. I have most other shades of Shell Cordovan, but have never made the plunge into Black. These will be replacing my well used Black McAllisters (which are calf). Hope that you enjoy them! They look terrific especially for being seconds. The right shoe has some ever so slight creasing in them and that is why I think that they are seconds... Nothing that wouldn't happen in the first three minutes of doing the carpet break-in and they are well placed, so I have no gripes here. Definite keepers! Without further ado, I will let the shoes speak for themselves this time.




















Hope that you all have a terrific night!

Thanks,
Mike

Niiicee, that crease won't be a factor since you going to develop your own creases from wearing, beautiful!
post #29561 of 53218
Have a quick fit question. I got a pair of Daltons via the Labor Day sale that fit beautifully in every respect except one: The arch of my left foot is (apparently!) higher than my right, so the seam and 'lip' of leather where the tongue is sewn in digs in pretty painfully on that foot as the day progresses.

I've only worn them for 2 workdays, so I'm not sure whether to think more wear plus a couple layers of moleskin will get that area stretched without wearing a divot in my foot, or if that's a job for a cobbler, or a total lost cause.
post #29562 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


It's because of McArthur or Uncle Mac. Pretty sure he is the one who started it and frequently posts it. Everyone else follows suit out of respect for him and his amazing collection of shells and creation of the Mac polishing and break-in methods for caring for your fine shell cordovan shoes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

When you get older you will understand what it means. Although getting old is a privilege that not everyone gets to enjoy so IMO you shouldn't complain about getting older if your fortunate enough to do so. My Grandmother used to preach that there was nothing more important than your health. At the time it didn't make sense to me, it certainly does now. But I'm not old, at least not yet. :)

 

 

Thank you gentlemen; informative responses as always. This certainly explains its particular prevalence in the Alden thread. 

 

 

And...nice pick up on the black shell cordovans Mdubs. There have been a few postings recently that have increased my interest in black shell.

post #29563 of 53218

Really enjoying my brown shell strands today. What are the chances of the walnut shell, or any lighter shade of shell coming back as a webgem any time soon, knowing that AE is almost out of their current walnut stock? I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on it when it came out 2 years ago. A walnut dundee or leeds would be perfect for my collection.

post #29564 of 53218
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

Really enjoying my brown shell strands today. What are the chances of the walnut shell, or any lighter shade of shell coming back as a webgem any time soon, knowing that AE is almost out of their current walnut stock? I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on it when it came out 2 years ago. A walnut dundee or leeds would be perfect for my collection.
I'm fairly certain that AE is out of Walnut and currently running out or out of cappuccino.
post #29565 of 53218
FYI, here's the list I just got of 2 for $250 shoes in 10E:

Size: 100 E
Dept: 001 - Allen-Edmonds
Quality: 2nd
Type: Closeout

RETAIL INVENTORY
Dept: Allen-Edmonds - Dress Welts
Style Description Color Retail Price On-Hand
1 0202S Brooks Presidio Black Black 179.00 3
2 0217S Brooks Grayson Black Calf Black 269.00 2
3 0262S Brooks Presidio Brown Brown 179.00 9
4 0851S Brooks Shelton Tan Saddle Tan 179.00 2
5 1139S Cahill Walnut 199.00 2
6 4203S Neumora Black 199.00 4
7 4859S Randolph Grey 159.00 1
8 5057S Jermyn Walnut 199.00 3
9 5893S Parkway Grey 129.00 1
10 8754S Mcgraw Black Calf Black 279.00 1
11 91011S Singleton Black Calf Black 259.00 4
12 91012S Singleton Brown Calf Brown 259.00 4
13 91013S Singleton Tan Calf Tan 259.00 2
14 91023S Slaton Tan Calf Tan 259.00 4
15 91030S Sanderson Tan Calf/Khakki Tan 259.00 1
16 91031S Sanderson Black Calf Black 259.00 1
17 91072S Immingham Brown Calf Brown 259.00 2
18 9824S Mcgraw Walnut 199.00 1

Dept: Allen-Edmonds - Casual Welts
Style Description Color Retail Price On-Hand
19 0944S Dornoch Natural 159.00 1
20 0991S Winnetka Brown 149.00 4
21 1215S Brooks Mctavish Black Black 179.00 1
22 8022S Aberdeen Dark Brown 159.00 1
23 9072S Ashbury Brown 159.00 1

Dept: Allen-Edmonds - Dress Casual Welts
Style Description Color Retail Price On-Hand
24 6134S Quinton Bit Choc Suede Chocolate Suede 279.00 12
25 91066S Illford Tan/Khakki Tan 224.00 5

Dept: Allen-Edmonds - Dress Casual Handsewns
Style Description Color Retail Price On-Hand
26 42581S Naples Black 149.00 1

Dept: Allen-Edmonds - Casual Handsewns
Style Description Color Retail Price On-Hand
27 43435S Yuma Grey Grey 154.00 1
28 46881S Westbrook Black 149.00 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread