or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1957

post #29341 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

Yeah, from looking around I think it does need the split reverse.  Now I just need to decide between a double butyl sole and a single butyl.....I think the single will make it look less bulky, but we'll see.

 

A LW with a split reverse needs a double sole or else the proportion will be off.  If you really want a single sole, then I would suggest doing a flat welt.  I can see a LWB split reverse with single sole working with suede.  But why would you be afraid of the bulk?  IMHO, the "bulk" is part of what gives a LWB it's character.  That's why we call them gunboats, right?  If I want a streamlined shoe, then I'll get a balmoral.  

post #29342 of 48496
How often do shell cordovan seconds go on sale?

I ordered a pair of daltons in a 11.5D and my first impression is that they are half a size too big. (I'm a 11.5B in the calf patriot/strand for reference.)

I also have a 11.B shell cordovan patriot coming in the mail, I hope its not big. frown.gif

How much should I be able to press down on the middle of the laces? Here is a picture for reference.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Edited by CalTex - 9/17/13 at 11:01pm
post #29343 of 48496

I have a burgundy shell Bradley on the way - seconds at $299.  After seeing the pics of some "on the hoof" a couple of pages back, I'm pretty excited.  In the mean time, another "Shoe Bank" bargain.  Anyone else have a Strawfut? They're super light and comfortable, but feel very slack around the arch compared to the Broadstreet.  Are they the same last?  I guess it's just the looser structure of the mesh.

 

post #29344 of 48496

Anyone have actual pictures of the BB Longwings (MacNeil) in Brown/Chili? Also, would you know if it has a double sole? There's not much info from BB's website. Thanks!


Edited by jasonmx3 - 9/18/13 at 5:15am
post #29345 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

How often do shell cordovan seconds go on sale?

I ordered a pair of daltons in a 11.5D and my first impression is that they are half a size too big. (I'm a 11.5B in the calf patriot/strand for reference.)

I also have a 11.B shell cordovan patriot coming in the mail, I hope its not big. frown.gif

How much should I be able to press down on the middle of the laces? Here is a picture for reference. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I can't answer your questions, but let me know if you consider letting them go. 

post #29346 of 48496
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
  Anyone else have a Strawfut? They're super light and comfortable, but feel very slack around the arch compared to the Broadstreet.  Are they the same last?  I guess it's just the looser structure of the mesh.
 
The broadstreet is on the 3 last whereas the Strawfuts are on the 5 (most Balmorals are on the 5 last).
 
post #29347 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

How often do shell cordovan seconds go on sale?

I ordered a pair of daltons in a 11.5D and my first impression is that they are half a size too big. (I'm a 11.5B in the calf patriot/strand for reference.)

I also have a 11.B shell cordovan patriot coming in the mail, I hope its not big. frown.gif

How much should I be able to press down on the middle of the laces? Here is a picture for reference. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

This is the best shell seconds deal this year, and the best since they ran an identical sale roughly 12 months ago, as they were going to the "MTO" approach to shell cordovan shoes.  Prior to that they attempted to keep an inventory of shell in their retail locations and therefore there were lots of seconds floating around.  Separately, I think 2x per year the outlet mall locations run a 20% off sale, which brings the price down to the mid- $300's.  

 

Only you can assess your fit,  but I would say that if you are a B width in your 5-last shoes, a D width in your boot will probably be too wide.  

post #29348 of 48496
Can I glue a heel tap back on myself or should I take it to a cobbler?
post #29349 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post
 

 

Most helpful, thank you.  Technically the Broadstreet is an oxford and the Strawfut is an adelaide.  Neither is a balmoral, although I know the term is frequently used in the US to mean any kind of closed lacing/oxford style.

post #29350 of 48496
Has anyone considered the Niles for MTO? Basically a captoe Oxford with heel detail, but on the 8 last. I would be interested to see how it looks opposed to the Park Ave., or of they can still make it...
post #29351 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post
 

 

A LW with a split reverse needs a double sole or else the proportion will be off.  If you really want a single sole, then I would suggest doing a flat welt.  I can see a LWB split reverse with single sole working with suede.  But why would you be afraid of the bulk?  IMHO, the "bulk" is part of what gives a LWB it's character.  That's why we call them gunboats, right?  If I want a streamlined shoe, then I'll get a balmoral.  

I don't think this looks too bad.....it's an Alden LWB with a flat welt and single sole.  Decisions, decisions.....

 

post #29352 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbhrb View Post

Can I glue a heel tap back on myself or should I take it to a cobbler?

call AE & send them back... The 2 times this happened to me (once on a new pair, once on a recrafted pair), they not only fixed the heel, they included a $35 off coupon in the box! Coupon is redeemable at the outlets & is accepted during sales, YMMV
post #29353 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post

Also, does anyone here find that the shell version of a shoe fits bigger than the calf version? the dalton in 12D in calf for me was snug at first, and has now stretched to be the perfect fit. But the shell dalton in 12E was way way way bigger. Even with wool socks, it wasn't snug. Seems like it shouldnt has increased in girth so much with only one size up in width.

This is pretty standard, as you will see this question asked quite frequently in this thread, The belief is that shell doesn't mold/fit/wrap as tightly around the last, causing the looser fit in comparison to calf or suede. Many folks will go down a width in cordovan as a result.
post #29354 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Anyone have actual pictures of the BB Longwings (MacNeil) in Brown/Chili? Also, would you know if it has a double sole? There's not much info from BB's website. Thanks!

The BB MacNeils have a double sole, but in addition also have the rubber topy and a dove tail heel. Here are two pictures of my chili BB MacNeil's (sorry I don't have a picture of the soles):

post #29355 of 48496
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post
 

 

Thanks for the input. How does cappuccino differ from dark brown shell? Anybody have a side by side comparison? I just bought the Patriot in dark brown shell (shipping from shoebank).  I'm now wondering which AE shell is closer to Alden Cigar, cappuccino or dark brown.In terms of edge trim, I'd like to replicate this shade. I'm thinking that light brown is pretty close. Natural was too light, IIRC.

 

 

 

 

 

Sadly, I just returned the above Alden PTB to TSM for refund.

 

Edited to add:

 

Just found this cigar vs. AE brown shell for reference:

 

 

Patrick, how's the shell on your cappuccino Leeds look? I am debating whether I should get Leeds or MacNeil MTOs and Allison told me that the imperfections of the shell will be more visible on the Leeds, which makes sense. I wonder how yours look like?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread