or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1944

post #29146 of 46519

Anyone has experience with the Amok ? Looking at a size comparison with the 5 last, not too sure if I should size up, width up or just take the same size.

post #29147 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

The sale includes shell? Doesn't that mean the current Strand webgem will actually be cheaper during the sale than now?

The webgem offer will expire when the sale starts.
post #29148 of 46519
Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Out of 11 pairs of my Allen Edmonds and several Aldens, Yuketens and Trickers none has received more compliments in just one day then the "rough" MacNeils I got off eBay two weeks ago (brand new but with a few nicks). I guess it's the contrast between the uppers and the welt, as well as the laces and brass eyelets that make them really eye-catching. Given this "success", I am thinking of getting an MTO pair in brown cordovan with the chili welt, similar to the GOP's pair. Given that I have also preordered Alden LWB in tobacco calf (can be cancelled),do you think MacNeil in cordovan would be an overkill?  





ey really need to make these a regular part of their lineup. Just a great looking shoe.
post #29149 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

What kind of shoes are you normally wearing? For instance I wear a 10 in sneakers, but I am an 8D in most Allen Edmonds. I would base the size of the McTavish off the size of the AE you already have. I'm not sure what last the Fairfax is on, but you should be within a half size of the McTavish.

Thanks, that's good info. I was a bit surprised by the stark contrast in sizing from my normal casual shoes, like vans. The fairfaxes are my first pair of nicer dress shoes, the next nicest would be like some Eccos that I used to wear, and I wear like a 9.5-10 in those too. Onteresting
post #29150 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

The webgem offer will expire when the sale starts.

But my point is that the Strand shell is usually what, $595? Take off 15% for the sale and you end up with $505.75, which is cheaper than the webgem.
post #29151 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtttt View Post
 

Anyone has experience with the Amok ? Looking at a size comparison with the 5 last, not too sure if I should size up, width up or just take the same size.

 

I'd go one size up.

post #29152 of 46519

reposting my question from earlier:

 

I already have brown suede malverns (chukkas) and tan suede amoks...would it be overkill to get the amok in brown suede as well?  I LOVE the weight (or lack thereof) of the amoks.

post #29153 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Out of 11 pairs of my Allen Edmonds and several Aldens, Yuketens and Trickers none has received more compliments in just one day then the "rough" MacNeils I got off eBay two weeks ago (brand new but with a few nicks). I guess it's the contrast between the uppers and the welt, as well as the laces and brass eyelets that make them really eye-catching. Given this "success", I am thinking of getting an MTO pair in brown cordovan with the chili welt, similar to the GOP's pair. Given that I have also preordered Alden LWB in tobacco calf (can be cancelled),do you think MacNeil in cordovan would be an overkill?  






I too get great comments when wearing my fairly new rough McNeils I scooped from a fellow member here. Love them!
post #29154 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post


I stopped home at lunch today to see my walnut shell seconds Macneils. These are the ones I had made that didn't pass inspection for some reason. They arrived, though they are a bit darker than I expected.

Here is a my walnut shell Macneils thy did pass inspection.

Before anyone points out the obvious, that the welts are different, I know, I had them change it on the order.

Could it be the color was to dark to pass as walnut and that is why they are considered seconds? Clearly I haven't laced them yet, but barring any lacing line up issues, I can't see why these are seconds. They are darker than the walnuts I received with the MTO program...

 

Interestingly, a pair pretty much identical to your walnut shell MacNeils (albeit a bit lighter) and also with the natural welt just showed up on eBay. I wonder if this also was a special makeup that didn't pass the inspection or whether AE used to make a similar design at some point? Sadly, they are 12EEE. 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTY1YTAzMWEwNTIxZTA0Mjg5NjdmMDA1MjMzNWNjOTg2NzkyfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1oaXRjaC0tbi0tcG9zdHx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9OS8xMy8xMyAxMTo0NiBBTQ==

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMONDS-MACNEIL-WINGTIP-BLUCHER-OXFORD-CIGAR-SHELL-CORDOVAN-12-EEE-EX-WIDE-/360738552619?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53fdb17b2b

post #29155 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post

reposting my question from earlier:

I already have brown suede malverns (chukkas) and tan suede amoks...would it be overkill to get the amok in brown suede as well?  I LOVE the weight (or lack thereof) of the amoks.

On the positive side of buying it: If you want an Amok in brown you're running out of time to get one. It will extend the life of your Malverns by splitting the duty between the two.

Negative side: The money could be used to fill a hole in your rotation.
post #29156 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Out of 11 pairs of my Allen Edmonds and several Aldens, Yuketens and Trickers none has received more compliments in just one day then the "rough" MacNeils I got off eBay two weeks ago (brand new but with a few nicks). I guess it's the contrast between the uppers and the welt, as well as the laces and brass eyelets that make them really eye-catching. Given this "success", I am thinking of getting an MTO pair in brown cordovan with the chili welt, similar to the GOP's pair. Given that I have also preordered Alden LWB in tobacco calf (can be cancelled),do you think MacNeil in cordovan would be an overkill?
When I used to wear mine more I used get a lot of compliments also. I also have a pair of burgundy shell MacNeils. I don't think getting a pair of brown shell MacNeils is overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

But my point is that the Strand shell is usually what, $595? Take off 15% for the sale and you end up with $505.75, which is cheaper than the webgem.
The webgem is showing as $545 right now. I think peppercorn's point is that you wouldn't be able to get the brown shell Strand after the webgem is over.
post #29157 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

But my point is that the Strand shell is usually what, $595? Take off 15% for the sale and you end up with $505.75, which is cheaper than the webgem.

Yep. But with the 25$ shoe trees thrown in.
post #29158 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Interestingly, a pair pretty much identical to your walnut shell MacNeils (albeit a bit lighter) and also with the natural welt just showed up on eBay. I wonder if this also was a special makeup that didn't pass the inspection or whether AE used to make a similar design at some point? Sadly, they are 12EEE. 
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTY1YTAzMWEwNTIxZTA0Mjg5NjdmMDA1MjMzNWNjOTg2NzkyfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1oaXRjaC0tbi0tcG9zdHx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9OS8xMy8xMyAxMTo0NiBBTQ==

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMONDS-MACNEIL-WINGTIP-BLUCHER-OXFORD-CIGAR-SHELL-CORDOVAN-12-EEE-EX-WIDE-/360738552619?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53fdb17b2b
Hmm, I'm usually 11.5EEE but I am a 12EEE on the brannock. How is the macneil last?
post #29159 of 46519
Those w
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Interestingly, a pair pretty much identical to your walnut shell MacNeils (albeit a bit lighter) and also with the natural welt just showed up on eBay. I wonder if this also was a special makeup that didn't pass the inspection or whether AE used to make a similar design at some point? Sadly, they are 12EEE. 
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTRmNjc4MmQ3YTY1YTAzMWEwNTIxZTA0Mjg5NjdmMDA1MjMzNWNjOTg2NzkyfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1oaXRjaC0tbi0tcG9zdHx8T1JJR0lOQUxfRUJBWV9RVUFMSVRZX1NDT1JFPTR8fENSRUFUSU9OX0RBVEU9OS8xMy8xMyAxMTo0NiBBTQ==

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMONDS-MACNEIL-WINGTIP-BLUCHER-OXFORD-CIGAR-SHELL-CORDOVAN-12-EEE-EX-WIDE-/360738552619?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53fdb17b2b

Those were mine! There's a wave in the leather on the inner outside of the left shoe. I was told they were out of spec so they sent me a replacement pair. I ordered them right before Paul's MTO program began.
post #29160 of 46519
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

Those w
Those were mine! There's a wave in the leather on the inner outside of the left shoe. I was told they were out of spec so they sent me a replacement pair. I ordered them right before Paul's MTO program began.
How bad is the wave?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread