Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds ANNIVERSARY SALE!!!! Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Mora 2.0, McTavish,... Last post on Yesterday at 5:23 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Le Noeud Papillon
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1909
Styles mentioned in this thread:
Here is a link from their website.
Thanks for the link. I think beside the Portland boot, there isn't much for me this fall (thank the Lord).
Edited by spitshine123 - 9/9/13 at 9:15pm
Sure... Just as a disclaimer, I have seen other posts where people will try to bleach out dyes with some success, but my concern was the longevity of the shoe itself, not just removing the color... I don't know what harsh chemicals will do to the leather over time, i can't imagine it is good for it... I really wanted to keep the integrity of the leather intact... The kiowas started dark brown distressed and ended a much tanner brown, I never got all the color out... Since I was dying darker, it didn't really matter that a little brown dye was still there, I just painted over it... I went with fiebings ox blood color, since I was dying over a light brown base, and as you can see from the pictures, I ended up with a nice dark burgundy... Just consider the base color when selecting a new color... This method will work for merlot, brown, navy, etc... Dark colors... I make no promises if you want to dye walnut, tan, etc...
The acetone was used with cotton pads (makeup pads) to remove the layers of polish added to the shoes... Deglazer is a product sold by fiebings to help remove unwanted dye... It is nasty, smelly stuff... But works wonders when coupled with the 000 steel wool (triple zero)... The steel wool (found at Home Depot) is rough enough to help the deglazer penetrate into the leather, but not rough enough to scratch the actual leather... The best piece of advice I have, is while the shoes are still wet from the deglazer, brush them well with an old brush to help redistribute the remaining dye evenly throughout the shoe... It will help make an evenly dyed surface for your new dye... The dying process was really easy, get some small craft brushes, don't use the dauber that comes with the dye... I used an old baby food jar to put the dye in, you need a lot less than you would expect!... I didn't wait in between coats, painted one shoe, then the other, then immediately did a second coat... I brushed the shoes with an old brush to help remove any excess dye & to make sure the dye as even (fiebings suggest a cotton cloth, but I found the brush more effective)... Then 3 coats of AE merlot cream... Polish as you normally would... Easy enough...
I'm a calf man! I can't wear CG or shell for the same reason... I get overheated... easily...
It looks like Ivy Style is reporting that the Cordovan Webgems are actually Cappuccino, not brown. They report that directly from Allen Edmonds. If this is right, I am now even happier I ordered a pair of the Jeffersons.
Can any of you guys (cough* bucks fan *cough) find out if this is the truth?
There have been other rumors that it's dark brown being offered.
Some clarification from AE on this would lead to a lot more sales, for sure.
I think someone reported yesterday that they are in fact "brown" not "cappuccino" but I will go through my channels (basically the Jville outlet - but I sometimes get prioritized response) and see what I can find out.
Based on my conversation with Allison from AE, I really do not think the webgems are cappuccino. I spoke to her 3 weeks ago when I placed my order and she said there was only enough cappuccino left to make approx. 25 pairs of shoes. I find it hard to believe that 2 weeks or so after that they would be offering a webgem with probably only half of that material left. I believe it is brown. The shades vary quite a bit as we have seen.
Yes - shades vary in various lighting too.
here are my 3 year old brown shell strands, for reference:
All of you guys talking about scoring Shell Daltons for $299, made me want to wear mine today. I got mine for I think $329 a while back.
As for the controversy over the color of the new webgems. I do think the color is their normal brown shell, not cappuccino. I only posted the link from Ivy Style because it was wishful thinking on my part. The AE website does not have a separate shell brown patriot or strand, which they normally offer, only the webgem. So I would assume it is their normal brown.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Friday Challenge 20140425: Yellow Fever 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker 4 minutes ago
- › 2014 50 Book Challenge 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 6 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Hong Kong Restaurant Recommendations 10 minutes ago
- › Pal zileri jacket brand new with tags 11 minutes ago
- › Creepy Sartorial Images 11 minutes ago
- › Insurrection / Thurston Bros., Aero Leather Jackets North America -... 13 minutes ago
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers) by alyssaw