or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1887

post #28291 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Received 5 pairs. 2 pairs on Saturday and 3 pairs today.

Sanford – Walnut
PA – Grey Cloud
Players – Navy suede
RL Illford – Tan Khaki
LaSalle - Chili Burnished

I should permanently leave this thread…

How on earth did you find a pair of navy players? I may see about a mto order of those.
post #28292 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post


They do. Simply email CS about the Style Forum MTO and you can order them at no up charge. Problem solved smile.gif

 

Therein lies my dilemna.  I love the look of the Ralph Lauren Lindrick and the Dalton in brown shell, but the reality is that I probably wouldn't wear them very much.  I'm in suits too much to wear them for work and typically dressing casual enough on weekends where a more casual boot like the Long Branch makes more sense.  It's impractical for me to spend $800 for a boot that I would not wear very much.  Now, if it went into mass production, I'm sure I could find a way to justify $400 for a pair of seconds.

post #28293 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

 

Therein lies my dilemna.  I love the look of the Ralph Lauren Lindrick and the Dalton in brown shell, but the reality is that I probably wouldn't wear them very much.  I'm in suits too much to wear them for work and typically dressing casual enough on weekends where a more casual boot like the Long Branch makes more sense.  It's impractical for me to spend $800 for a boot that I would not wear very much.  Now, if it went into mass production, I'm sure I could find a way to justify $400 for a pair of seconds.

I like the look of the Fifth Street boot in brown shell. That would be more suit friendly for you...

post #28294 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post


I assume that a local cobbler installed the toe taps. How much were they and are you located in Chicago by chance? Anybody have recommendations for a Chicago cobbler?

 

Yes, a local cobbler did that; however, I am currently not in the US. The cobbler charged me about $10 for the rubber toe tap. I've been to B Nelson before when I was still living in nyc. They do excellent work there too (although turn around was a little slow). If you can't find a good cobbler in Chicago, you may want to consider just sending all your shoes to nyc in one go.

 

For reference, this was how they were starting to look like before the toe taps (worn 2x):

 

post #28295 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

How on earth did you find a pair of navy players? I may see about a mto order of those.
Pure luck. Ever since I saw navy suede players , I knew I had to have a pair. During labor day sale I found 1 last pair in 8.5 EEE (seconds). I am a 8 EEE but still pulled the trigger(I had to). They fit ok. Just a tiny bit long. They are beautiful - I just love them. I can't wait to wear them. I will take a group photo tomorrow.
post #28296 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

I assume that a local cobbler installed the toe taps. How much were they and are you located in Chicago by chance? Anybody have recommendations for a Chicago cobbler?

I used Beehive on Wells (I think) for a re-heel on my AEs and they did a good job and I've used Gus New Quality Shoe Repair on Clark to get rubber topys on my Alden boots, which was also okay (though the sole appears to be splitting a year later, which is probably unrelated). When my Alden cordovan LWBs needed toe taps, however, I just bit the bullet and sent them to B Nelson to make sure it was done right. Couldn't be happier with them.
post #28297 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post


I guess it's hard to say. For me Carmina 8UK in Rain, Inca, and Forest lasts all translates to US 9D in AEs. I do have a pair of Bradley's in 9.5D that fits fine as long as I tighten the laces pretty good. I guess you should give size 9.5D a try and see if it works out.

 

Thank mate, I think I will go with the 9.5D. Hope to share some pics of the Dalton's soon! :D

post #28298 of 46570
"A restocking fee of $10 will be applied to each pair of factory second shoes shipped back to us for return."

I just received a pair of RL Saunders seconds where the vamp was stitched on improperly, and thus the lacing is a bit skewed. Anyone know if they'll charge the restocking fee of $10 for exchanges, and not just returns?
post #28299 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by uunngghh View Post

"A restocking fee of $10 will be applied to each pair of factory second shoes shipped back to us for return."

I just received a pair of RL Saunders seconds where the vamp was stitched on improperly, and thus the lacing is a bit skewed. Anyone know if they'll charge the restocking fee of $10 for exchanges, and not just returns?

I would imagine that they would. I mean, there is a reason the shoes are seconds. What you described is why. I think they are trying to discourage people from buying seconds then sending them back and sending them back till they get a pair that are close enough to firsts that they can live with. IMHO.

post #28300 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post
 

Will anybody here venture into the new AE clothing lines?  I think they have a nice niche in the shoe market, but I'm not sold on Allen Edmonds clothes.  It seems like they are trying to expand for the sake of expanding only without really bringing anything special to the table.  

 

I don't plan on it. Paul has stated that the inclusion of clothing at AE stores is because their market research shows that most men prefer "one-stop shopping". However, I would imagine that this is not so for men who are willing to pay over $300 for shoes.

 

I would venture to say that most on this site at least have a favorite manufacturer of shirts, pants, socks, ties etc.

 

If AE were able to fill the same niche they do with their shoes...the most budget friendly way to get high quality craftsmanship while continuing to be American Made...then they may be on to something. I know that when I go into an AE store to purchase a pair of shoes, that I will walk out with a high quality item that fits perfectly. I don't feel this would be the case with their sport coats.

 

 

Although, this could be interesting...

Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

One of the best posts on AAAC in that thread was someone saying they were going to wait for the blazerbank to open before he purchased a sportcoat from AE.


Edited by OptoDoc - 9/4/13 at 9:18am
post #28301 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

I don't plan on it. Paul has stated that the inclusion of clothing at AE stores is because their market research shows that most men prefer "one-stop shopping". However, I would imagine that this is not so for men who are willing to pay over $300 for shoes.

 

I would imagine that most on this site at least have a favorite manufacturer of shirts, pants, socks, ties etc.

 

If AE were able to fill the same niche they do with their shoes...the most budget friendly way to get high quality craftsmanship while continuing to be American Made...then they may be on to something. I know that when I go into an AE store to purchase a pair of shoes, that I will walk out with a high quality item that fits perfectly. I don't feel this would be the case with their sport coats.

I agree. I don't want AE to reduce their stock of shoes at their retail locatations to make room for clothing stock.

post #28302 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

I don't plan on it. Paul has stated that the inclusion of clothing at AE stores is because their market research shows that most men prefer "one-stop shopping". However, I would imagine that this is not so for men who are willing to pay over $300 for shoes.

 

I would imagine that most on this site at least have a favorite manufacturer of shirts, pants, socks, ties etc.

 

If AE were able to fill the same niche they do with their shoes...the most budget friendly way to get high quality craftsmanship while continuing to be American Made...then they may be on to something. I know that when I go into an AE store to purchase a pair of shoes, that I will walk out with a high quality item that fits perfectly. I don't feel this would be the case with their sport coats.

I somewhat disagree here. Maybe for us, but for your average guy buying up into a pair of AE from Cole Hans (thinking like a 2nd year iBanking analyst here) they do just want to shop around for high quality products. AE certainly fills that niche. I'm not sure if it makes more sense for them to make their own clothes than retail a few other examples of high end clothing, but they probably did a make vs buy analysis and the numbers looked good. It looks to be very well done casual and I think would be very popular with many academics I have known.

post #28303 of 46570
Got my Cronmoks a week ago and gave them a wax.


post #28304 of 46570

^what did you use?

post #28305 of 46570
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Received 5 pairs. 2 pairs on Saturday and 3 pairs today.

Sanford – Walnut
PA – Grey Cloud
Players – Navy suede
RL Illford – Tan Khaki
LaSalle - Chili Burnished

I should permanently leave this thread…

How did you size the players compared to the park aves?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread