or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1877

post #28141 of 46559
I think it's been asked by others before but the answers didn't seem that clear, how do the RL Sanderson fit compared to the AE 5-last shoes. I'm an 11D/E in the 5 last. Thanks!
post #28142 of 46559
I received a catalog today from ae that was advertising their clothing options. I must say, as much as I love their shoes, the clothing doesn't do it for me. They did have a few pictures of the new shoe offerings for the fall which looked nice.
post #28143 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

I think it's been asked by others before but the answers didn't seem that clear, how do the RL Sanderson fit compared to the AE 5-last shoes. I'm an 11D/E in the 5 last. Thanks!

They are a tad shorter than the 5 last, but much narrower. I would just go up one width.

post #28144 of 46559

^^Thanks, Spitshine. Looking at your pics, I though I'd try to see if they have any Sandersons at the shoe bank.

post #28145 of 46559

So what is the process for getting a hold of the BB and RL collabs? Calling an outlet and asking what is available?

post #28146 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchapiro View Post

So what is the process for getting a hold of the BB and RL collabs? Calling an outlet and asking what is available?

That's it.
I got BB MacNeils and BB Sheltons for $169 each.
post #28147 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

Thanks for any input!

Was wondering about this myself so I recently decided to try out the AE combination tap soles. They are not thin at all and the rubber material is very robust, so I think they'll last for a while.

I wasn't really sure which sole I'd like best, so I had my cobbler install some tap soles and rubber toe taps on my other pairs. I'll probably know in a few months which sole is most preferable and which would last the longest.

First, a pic of my test AE pairs (all recently acquired after I found this thread):



With the different soles installed (L-R: Toe taps, OEM combination tap sole, vibram tap sole):


Edited by jasonmx3 - 9/1/13 at 12:34am
post #28148 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

They are a tad shorter than the 5 last, but much narrower. I would just go up one width.

 

I wear an 8.5D in most AEs, and the Sandersons width is fine for me. The heel is a tiny bit loose if anything. There are several versions of the Sanderson.  I recommend them all. The "tan" color is more like a "walnut," which is my favorite color du jour.

 

CH

post #28149 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

Thanks for any input!

Was wondering about this myself so I recently decided to try out the AE combination tap soles. They are not thin at all and the rubber material is very robust, so I think they'll last for a while.

I wasn't really sure which sole I'd like best, so I had my cobbler install some tap soles and rubber toe taps on my other pairs. I'll probably know in a few months which sole is most preferable and which would last the longest.

First, a pic of my test AE pairs (all recently acquired after I found this thread):



With the different soles installed (L-R: Toe taps, OEM combination tap sole, vibram tap sole):


Thanks for the comparison!
post #28150 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Thanks for the comparison!

You're welcome. I also posted a similar question a few months back and no one really got to answer it. So, I thought I'd just try it out and see how the various soles compare.
post #28151 of 46559

You had me at the title, should have stopped typing and put a picture in the post instead of that tripe.

24.gif

post #28152 of 46559

OK, Sunday morning first-world problem for you fellow addicts.

 

I ended up with an approximate 200$ credit from the jeffersonville outlet from a recent return. I requested store credit instead of a refund because I was doubtful they would take the shoes back in the first place (based on dark sole smudges from my carpet), but Kristle was cool enough to do so.

 

My recently-culled rotation (thinned out from 8 pairs due to sizing problems related to losing 50 lbs):

 

Black Neumora

Dark Brown Neumora (both seconds from the 2/250 sale)

Chili Regent Streets

Grey McTavish (for casual jeans)

 

Since I'm a professional musician (not a banker), I don't have a need for too many of the more conservative styles. My current lineup doesn't have any lighter brown or burgundy/merlot shoes, so I was considering using the credit towards Walnut Sheltons, as the style lends itself to being dressed (reasonably) up or down.

 

BUT, I noticed a new addition to my size list yesterday: burgundy shell Cambridge 2nd, and my resolve wavered. I'm a musician, so I don't really have a practical need for too many traditional dress shoes, and the Neumoras fit the needs of my occasions just fine (one agency I work for requires black shoes always but is not picky on the type of shoe. I once wore a black LWB and no one batted an eye), and the walnut Shelton would probably suit my current needs a little better. But...

 

...I can't imagine another opportunity any time some in my current budget to get something in shell. The Cambridge fits a color gap in my cycle, but it'll be my third wingtip, and my third dark dress shoe, so a little redundant. There is also a burgundy shell leeds in my style, but I'm really not into the look of the shoe.

 

Advice? I'm going to make the call sometime today.

 

I also briefly considered walnut Rutledge or walnut Flatiron, as I like the 3 last for my feet.

post #28153 of 46559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

It's a brand new boot. It was available, then pulled from the site and only out back up within the last few days. I don't think anyone has it in the hands yet

Fair enough - what about a comparison between 3 last and 5 last. Let's say 10D in 5 last, shoe what would be the size recommended for a 3 last boot?
post #28154 of 46559

Just got an email blast about AE apparel.  Sport coats look like they could be promising - anyone have any idea on construction?

post #28155 of 46559

The various brands of aftermarket rubber soles come in several different tread patterns.  This is how the TOPYS that I had put on last Winter look now...... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread