or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1860

post #27886 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Correct. biggrin.gif

 

I'm missing out on something huh?

Yes! I am a big suede fan. My ranking of most worn is:

 

1. shell

2. suede

3.cxl/calf

post #27887 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Yes! I am a big suede fan. My ranking of most worn is:

 

1. shell

2. suede

3.cxl/calf

My ranking of most worn is

 

1. shell

2. shell

3. shell

4. calf

 

haha!

post #27888 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Yes! I am a big suede fan. My ranking of most worn is:

 

1. shell

2. suede

3.cxl/calf

 

I've certainly thought about some models in suede, but just haven't ever followed through.  No solid reason, just the way it's worked out.  I had a couple of pairs of oiled nubuck bluchers once upon a time, but that's the closest I've come.  

post #27889 of 48285

Hey guys, first time poster here.

 

I just picked up a pair of McTavish in Natural Wax and am having trouble picking a belt.  I did a few google searches (some of which led me here) that suggested pretty much any color tan or brown belt will go with the shoes, and that the belt does not need to be an exact match, especially in casual settings.  Any of you guys with these shoes have any suggestions, be it AE brand belts or otherwise?  Thanks in advance.  

post #27890 of 48285

I need to get me a pair of those. I already have walnut strands but I really want to get some walnut mcallisters or dalton's. Decisions decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Walnut McAllisters day:

post #27891 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

I've certainly thought about some models in suede, but just haven't ever followed through.  No solid reason, just the way it's worked out.  I had a couple of pairs of oiled nubuck bluchers once upon a time, but that's the closest I've come.  


since you seem like someone with a good handle on most things.  I thought I would ask you your opinion on whether shell is worth the extra money?  At nearly double the price, it's hard for me to imagine that shell shoes are really twice as good as calf ones.

 

For me it seems like 2 pair of calf shoes would be better looking for far longer than 1 pair of shell shoes.  I'm also wondering why the rolling experienced with shell shoes is considered better than the creasing that comes with the wearing of calf shoes.  To me the rolling looks odd.

 

I should also mention that I have yet to see a pair of non-new shells in real life.  I saw a few new ones at the local AE store and they were certainly better looking than their calf counterparts.

 

anyone else who would like to give their .02 is certainly welcome and encouraged to do so!

post #27892 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

since you seem like someone with a good handle on most things.  I thought I would ask you your opinion on whether shell is worth the extra money?  At nearly double the price, it's hard for me to imagine that shell shoes are really twice as good as calf ones.

For me it seems like 2 pair of calf shoes would be better looking for far longer than 1 pair of shell shoes.  I'm also wondering why the rolling experienced with shell shoes is considered better than the creasing that comes with the wearing of calf shoes.  To me the rolling looks odd.

I should also mention that I have yet to see a pair of non-new shells in real life.  I saw a few new ones at the local AE store and they were certainly better looking than their calf counterparts.

anyone else who would like to give their .02 is certainly welcome and encouraged to do so!
From my perspective:
  • Scratches in shell (like chromexcel) tend to buff out. Scratches in calf, by comparison, often gouge the leather or leave permanent marks.
  • I find calf shoes rarely look as good as they do after their first wax polish. Shell on the other hand looks better, with less maintenance, as the years go by. Given the oils imbued into the material during the tanning process it also tends not to crack like calf can.
  • The smell is sublime.
post #27893 of 48285
Quote:

Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

 

  • The smell is sublime.

Biggest selling point for me! I am sitting here at my desk and the cordovan smell wafting up from my boots has kept a smile on my face all day!

post #27894 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post


since you seem like someone with a good handle on most things.  I thought I would ask you your opinion on whether shell is worth the extra money?  At nearly double the price, it's hard for me to imagine that shell shoes are really twice as good as calf ones.

 

For me it seems like 2 pair of calf shoes would be better looking for far longer than 1 pair of shell shoes.  I'm also wondering why the rolling experienced with shell shoes is considered better than the creasing that comes with the wearing of calf shoes.  To me the rolling looks odd.

 

I should also mention that I have yet to see a pair of non-new shells in real life.  I saw a few new ones at the local AE store and they were certainly better looking than their calf counterparts.

 

anyone else who would like to give their .02 is certainly welcome and encouraged to do so!

 

 

Well, we had a stimulating conversation on this topic recently starting with this post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/200_100#post_6514608

 

Also see a recent discussion here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/200_100#post_6514608

 

You will need to scroll through to get the whole conversation and skip over other conversations mind you, but it's probably easier than trying to summarize everything.  

 

Long story short, I think you really have to make your own decision as to whether shell is worth it's price.  I think it probably is.  It won't necessarily last twice as long, particularly due to the inherent lifespan that comes with Goodyear-welted shoes (being that you can only expect ~3-5 recraftings over the life of the shoe).  This inherent lifespan doesn't necessarily change simply because the upper is made from cordovan instead of calf.  Rather, it comes from how many times the upper can be restitched at the inseam during welt replacement.  Every time the welt is replaced during recrafting, the leather around the area that it is stitched becomes weaker and weaker due to the needle "machine gunning" through the leather as the new welt is stitched on.  Think of it like a piece of perforated paper.  The more holes, the easier it is to tear.  

 

However, if you wear your shoes infrequently enough by having a sizable rotation (preferably no less than 3-5 pairs), I think the inherent properties of cordovan will allow it to age much more gracefully than calf.  In other words, if you can get 20 years from a pair of shoes by only having them resoled every 4-5 years, I feel very confident that a pair of shell shoes will look significantly nicer than a pair of calfskin shoes of the same age (assuming the leather upper of the calfskin shoes are well cared for and actually last that long).  

 

To specifically address your point above about the rolling creases...  I think the appearance of the creases being better in shell shoes is subjective.  To each his own.  That said, the rolling creases likely contribute to shell lasting so much longer than calf.  The inevitable cracking leather in an otherwise well cared for shoe that will eventually happen (hopefully after many years) can largely be blamed on microscopic impurities that get imbedded in the creases (dust, dirt, etc.).  These impurities are abrasive and wear out the leather at the microscopic level.  This is why brushing before and after you wear your shoes is crucial (it isn't just for looks).  By doing that, you brush off these abrasive contaminants and prevent them from embedding in the leather and causing abrasion during wear.  Since cordovan tends to roll rather than crease, this abrasive action is decreased.  

 

Finally, I think the size of your shoe rotation has to be considered in your decision.  I agree that two pairs of calfskin shoes will last longer than one pair of shell shoes, if that is all you own.  However, I think that 3 pairs of shell shoes will last longer than 3 pairs of calfskin shoes.  You have to have enough shoes in your rotation to ensure that they are drying out appropriately between wears by "resting."  Not letting your shoes rest between wears so that they are only worn every other day, at the most, is the quickest way to prematurely destroy them.    

post #27895 of 48285

Guys - who do I email or call to place a MTO using our special SF arrangement?

post #27896 of 48285
Shell is definitely worth the cost to me - particularly with AE and Alden, where I have a fairly strong preference for shell versus calf. Whether it's worth it to someone else is up to them. Buy what you like.
post #27897 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

Guys - who do I email or call to place a MTO using our special SF arrangement?


Allison @ 262-235-6128

post #27898 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post


Allison @ 262-235-6128

 

Thanks!  I want to ask about getting the wide basic dress belt MTO in bourbon.  I already have the manistee in bourbon, but really want a wide basic version as well.

post #27899 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post




I emailed tifosi's contact at AE regarding an MTO (possibly shell) and/or to see if they plan to start producing the Jodox again. I'll let you know what I hear.

Here's a couple more pics (sorry - all iPhone shots):



Compared to an Alden Barrie last PTB:


... And it's a no go.

Here's what I was told:

Original plan was to re-release the Jodox in 2012 with "some minor changes to the pattern" (what???);

They changed the last of the shoe as they "no longer have the original form we made it on" (Ugh....);

"Due to difficulties in the (re?)design" of the shoe they had to remove it from our 2012 line;

Apparently the (new) Jodox pattern is "still in development and it is possible you would see it Fall of 2014;" and

MTO is not possible.

Hey Allen Edmonds, you wouldn't take the Mona Lisa and draw a mustache on her, would you? The point was to re-release a classic AE shoe, wasn't it?
post #27900 of 48285
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post


... And it's a no go.

Here's what I was told:

Original plan was to re-release the Jodox in 2012 with "some minor changes to the pattern" (what???);

They changed the last of the shoe as they "no longer have the original form we made it on" (Ugh....);

"Due to difficulties in the (re?)design" of the shoe they had to remove it from our 2012 line;

Apparently the (new) Jodox pattern is "still in development and it is possible you would see it Fall of 2014;" and

MTO is not possible.

Hey Allen Edmonds, you wouldn't take the Mona Lisa and draw a mustache on her, would you? The point was to re-release a classic AE shoe, wasn't it?

Sorry, CEE. That sucks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread