Thanks, Michael! That would be most helpful.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 11:41 am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Carlyle, University, Mora 2.0, McTavish,... Last post on 2/21/15 at 7:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- *** FINAL PRICE DROP *** ALLEN EDMONDS CAMBRIDGE SHELL CORDOVAN. EXCELLENT CONDITION. SIZE 9 Last post on 4/16/13 at 11:59am in Marketplace
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1812
Styleforum Top Picks
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. My collection so far is Byron (black), park ave (brown), Larchmont (chocolate), McAllister (burgundy), Manhattan (walnut) and Dover (brown suede). I'm always looking to add though...
My question is - what are the best websites for discounted firsts, closeouts, clearance, etc? I'd like to build a little list of places to check back every so often. I'm a 10B so it's marginally more difficult for me to track down sale items than a "D" width, in my experience. Here's what I have so far:
- 6pm.com (best I have found so far)
- Allenedmonds.com (some decent sales from time to time)
- Amazon.com (not sure about the hype here, I never see much of a discount here when I search)
- eBay (used to be way better, I don't see much in way of heavily discounted unworn items any more)
- Brooksbrothers.com (they seem to have shoes on clearance occasionally, also some sales)
STP doesn't seem to carry AE any more. I'm aware of the Shoebank for seconds, though I haven't bought anything yet (apparently they run even better sales from time to time?). Any input is appreciated!
Do you have access to a Brannock device? I have found that AE stores use the Brannock as a measurement device. So I think if you have your Brannock measurement, you can refer to this when you talk to the AE people. When you measure, don't forget to measure arch length as well, not just foot length.
So I'm curious about a pattern that I've noticed ever since I joined Style Forum, and I've never asked, but I'm finally going to. I don't mean to sound condescending or snarky, I'm strictly curious. Periodically, when someone seeks sizing advice, the Brannock device is brought up as if it is new information, or as if it isn't universally used and available. I can't remember not being familiar with the Brannock device. I remember playing with it when I was a kid in a shoe store while waiting for my parents. I don't know of any shoe store (from Foot Locker to shoe warehouses like DSW) that don't have a Brannock device on hand. Also, the Brannock is the only measurement tool that I've ever seen used in my lifetime.
I think it is fairly common for sale associates these days to just take your word for it when you walk into a store and tell them what your size is. You tell them your size, they go get it, and if it feels comfortable they ring you up and put your shoes in a bag before moving on the next customer. However, if you act like you aren't certain about your size, they will invariably go get a Brannock device and measure you.
I'm not trying to say that everyone (including sales associates) actually knows how to properly use the Brannock. But that's not the same as presenting the Brannock to people who ask sizing questions as if it's a newly invented tool.
Is this not pretty much everyone else's experience? Just curious.
Long time Alden lover and collector. Finally decided to pick up a couple of pairs of AE this summer (the price with gift certificates was too good to pass up)...
Walnut Shell Daltons
I really like the unlined shaft of the Dalton... Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan stamp is pretty cool...
Still prefer my Aldens, but have a much greater appreciation for AE.
So I massaged some (lots) Renovateur into the vamps with my bare finger, then just brushed the you-know-what out of them, and what a difference! Shoe on the right is done...
It's freshly done, so still very dark. And the photo makes the difference look much more dramatic. Not so in real life. I'm going to give them a wear or two before deciding on tackling the entire shoes this way. I'm afraid of turning a 'rough collection' shoe into a dress shoe!?
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 22 seconds ago
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 5 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 6 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 8 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...