or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1724

post #25846 of 49731

After purchasing 3 balmoral AEs, I've come to the conclusion that because of my higher instep, I can't wear balmorals. At the end of the day the top of my foot will be red because of the pressure from the top of the shoe pushing down behind the toes. I would love the Park Aves or the Strands in this thread but those aren't part of my collection and I think I should stay away now and look at their bluchers. I have a wedding in maybe a year so I'll make do with not being totally correct and going with the bluchers. 

post #25847 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

First pair of AE ,black Maccallisters,was undecided between these or PA's.

What do you think about the lacing and fit around heel, these are 9.5EE.

Thanks.

They look to be good fit, no big gap. Nice
post #25848 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder187 View Post

After purchasing 3 balmoral AEs, I've come to the conclusion that because of my higher instep, I can't wear balmorals. At the end of the day the top of my foot will be red because of the pressure from the top of the shoe pushing down behind the toes. I would love the Park Aves or the Strands in this thread but those aren't part of my collection and I think I should stay away now and look at their bluchers. I have a wedding in maybe a year so I'll make do with not being totally correct and going with the bluchers. 

Have you got photos? And what size you wear? People with high insteps should look at English shoes, they generally cater for that better.
post #25849 of 49731
What size would recommend I wear in the Neumok, McAllister and Strand if my pinky toe is pinched ever so slightly in a 9D in the Townleys (1-last) and 9E in the New Orleans (2-last)? I tried 9D (other sizes were not available in store) in the Strand before but it was too tight, I'm not sure if I should go for 8.5E or 9E.
post #25850 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post

Beautiful!!!

What pants are you wearing? The black and grey looks very good.

Thanks,these are cheap Express pants smile.gif
post #25851 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

Has anybody purchased a wallet from AE?  If so, can you comment on the quality vs price (about $110)? 

Actually, I might go with a Saddleback Leather Wallet.  Seems like a better value.  

Take a look around the Saddleback thread for examples of their wallet. The two have fundamentally different design aesthetics; AE is more appropriate to use in more upscale settings, while Saddleback gear will be roughly twice as thick and can allegedly survive massive amounts of abuse but won't fit quite so well in a fancy restaurant.

I found a viable alternative from Mitchell that I use daily... it was nice to email the owner and select the specific leathers used in its construction.
post #25852 of 49731
Also check out Ashland Leather for a variety of cool Horween leather and shell wallets
post #25853 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post

Has anybody purchased a wallet from AE?  If so, can you comment on the quality vs price (about $110)? 


Yes - I have one - about 6 months old.  A bit too early to form an opinion other than:  it isn't junk.  But, a few years too early to tell if it is worth $110.  I will say it's an oddly light color for a wallet to begin with but it's aging rather nicely.

post #25854 of 49731

My larger feet is 25.5cm in length. 8.5 for the park avenues sounds about right?

post #25855 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Take a look around the Saddleback thread for examples of their wallet. The two have fundamentally different design aesthetics; AE is more appropriate to use in more upscale settings, while Saddleback gear will be roughly twice as thick and can allegedly survive massive amounts of abuse but won't fit quite so well in a fancy restaurant.

I found a viable alternative from Mitchell that I use daily... it was nice to email the owner and select the specific leathers used in its construction.

Mitchell might be a good idea too.  Nice and small.  I'm looking at it. 

 

Thanks for all the replies on wallets.  

post #25856 of 49731
Pulled the trigger last night on shell #8 Kenwood firsts and shell belt. Called the Riverhead Tanger and 20% applied to both, plus the firsts Kenwood price had already been cut to under 500 before the discount (no seconds in stock, but would have been the same price apparently). I guess the shell Kenwoods are discontinued, which is too bad, since its their only shell beefroll.

Was going to go with Rancourts, but sizing indecision killed that idea, since I've had bad luck with the 114 last running too small, while I know that the 800 last fits me fine. The AE return policy, plus it being in stock and cheaper made the decision for me.

Downsides to AE vs Rancourt, though, is that I'd prefer a neutral stitching on the toe, and a natural color welt. Otherwise the Kenwood is identical, down to the perfing, tothe Rancourt, even though they insist that they share no common lineage.
post #25857 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by poena View Post

I don't know why but every 8.5D I try on in strands and park aves flare open at the ankle opening.

 

It sounds like the 5-last doesn't fit your foot properly.

post #25858 of 49731

FIFTH AVENUE:  $239.00 with 15% off coupon (EB2S1)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogz View Post

Just used "EB2S1" for 15% off AEs on 6pm.com

Excellent coupon find!

 

That increases the potential savings of other styles to nearly $200 OFF on the Long Branch and other styles!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

These aren't seconds are they? 6pm.com site?

No, they are all FIRSTS and come from the inventory overages at zappos.com - which owns 6pm.com

post #25859 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgrim View Post

What size would recommend I wear in the Neumok, McAllister and Strand if my pinky toe is pinched ever so slightly in a 9D in the Townleys (1-last) and 9E in the New Orleans (2-last)? I tried 9D (other sizes were not available in store) in the Strand before but it was too tight, I'm not sure if I should go for 8.5E or 9E.


The best suggestion is, find an AE store and try on both sizes. If that is not a viable option order both and return the ones which don't fit well.

 

Why? : I wear 10 E in Park Avenues and Strands, 9.5 EE in McAllisters and 9.5 E in Nuemoks. Though they are all same 5 last, it differs from style to style, Lined vs Unlined etc.

Consider Starnds and McAllisters, both are lined 5 last, but people suggest going down half a size for McAllisters.

 

What I am trying to say is, it's all about individual fit.

post #25860 of 49731
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

FIFTH AVENUE:  $239.00 with 15% off coupon (EB2S1)

Excellent coupon find!

That increases the potential savings of other styles to nearly $200 OFF on the Long Branch and other styles!

Note that coupon seems to have expired or is not working correctly. 6PM only appears to accept 4 character codes, at least in the browsers I tried.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread