or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1698

post #25456 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

There is no need to buy a different colour for the same shoe yet, so have some variety, if it's mainly for suits, I highly recommend black Fifth Avenue or McAllister. MacNeils ain't really appropriate for suits.

I agree with this advice and as I love the merlot McAllister, wouldn't recommend getting it in black. If black is a must then get the Fifth Avenue and wait to get the McAllister in a different color.

On another note, if you haven't already, take a look at some forums discussing oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes. Myself and a large percent of others prefer that color over black shoes in most settings.
Edited by tietherope - 7/25/13 at 3:31am
post #25457 of 43071
Would you / could you make a pair burgundy cordovan Cambridges coexist in your closet along side a pair of (brand new!) merlot calfskin McAllisters?

The Cambridges are in stock now which is making the proposition tempting. I'm trying to resist..
post #25458 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

Would you / could you make a pair burgundy cordovan Cambridges coexist in your closet along side a pair of (brand new!) merlot calfskin McAllisters?

The Cambridges are in stock now which is making the proposition tempting. I'm trying to resist..
I'd probably never wear my Mcallisters again. If they have never been worn, I'd return the Mcallister and get the Cambridge.
post #25459 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

For a third AE pair (to add to a black PA and dark brown Strand), which would you recommend: Black Strand or Black MacNeils. I'll be using it mostly with suits, so I prefer to get black. Thanks!
There is no reason you can't wear non-black shoes with suits. As others have said, a merlot Mcallister is a good next shoe.
post #25460 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I'd probably never wear my Mcallisters again. If they have never been worn, I'd return the Mcallister and get the Cambridge.

Well they are not quite that new; they have perhaps 3 wears on them. I love them though.
post #25461 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

Well they are not quite that new; they have perhaps 3 wears on them. I love them though.
If the money is burning a whole in your pocket, maybe get something else, like shell macneils? You could also get a pair of calf C&Js.
post #25462 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

 

 

If there is one thing I have learned when dealing with AE, there customer service is great. I think you should just take them in to a store or send them the same pics and see what they say, whats the worse that can happen?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Not a single pair of my shoes creases exactly the same, so it's quite normal.

Our feet are different, and there will be some variances in the leather too.

But if you are not comfortable with it, yeah, just return it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwash View Post


That seems completely normal to me. All my shoes crease much more than that, it's one of the things I enjoy about leather footwear--its "personality". Also, there's always variation between the creases between my left and right shoes, they never match exactly. If anything is abnormal at all, it's the fact that the one shoe doesn't show any creasing...
yet.

Thanks for the prime advice everyone. My concern was never that the shoes were creasing differently from each other, but more so that the one shoe was creasing incorrectly altogether. I wanted to see if the way it is creasing to look sort of like cracks was normal sometimes or possibly a defect in the leather. Your responses have cured my fears. 

post #25463 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

I agree with this advice and as I love the merlot McAllister, wouldn't recommend getting it in black. If black is a must then get the Fifth Avenue and wait to get the McAllister in a different color.

On another note, if you haven't already, take a look at some forums discussing oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes. Myself and a large percent of others prefer that color over black shoes in most settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

Would you / could you make a pair burgundy cordovan Cambridges coexist in your closet along side a pair of (brand new!) merlot calfskin McAllisters?

The Cambridges are in stock now which is making the proposition tempting. I'm trying to resist..

I haven't had a lot of time lately so have not seen the thread on oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes but can guess that I would fall into the camp that also prefers them to almost all other colors. Although there is nothing wrong with black IMO either, especially in cap, perf toe or plain toe. You could pick up the burgundy Cambridge and use the calf McAllister's for wet rainy days so yes I feel they can live in harmony together in your closet.

post #25464 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post



Walnut Shell Dundee

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post




Brown shell strand

They turned out great and look fantastic Michael, Congrats!!

post #25465 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

 

Brown Glasgow loafers

Chili Regent Street

Tan Suede Neumoks

Blue Neumoks

Brown/Brown Grain Hamptons

Black Cole Haan Captoe

Burgundy Patriots (likely being returned)

 

I think I need another captoe which is why I am leaning towards the strand; just worried bourbon may be too dark(like brown) and that is why I like the walnut.

 

Thoughts anyone?

I think you're right in saying that you need some walnut in your rotation. If your collection was smaller I may have advised against it as walnut is not as versatile as other colors and if it's 1 of 2 shoes you own it can hinder your wardrobe, but you'll be fine. Also, as you pointed out, you've got the wingtip category covered already. Strands sound like a great idea, especially at the current sale price of firsts. 

post #25466 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

I haven't had a lot of time lately so have not seen the thread on oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoes but can guess that I would fall into the camp that also prefers them to almost all other colors. Although there is nothing wrong with black IMO either, especially in cap, perf toe or plain toe. You could pick up the burgundy Cambridge and use the calf McAllister's for wet rainy days so yes I feel they can live in harmony together in your closet.

There is no specific thread, I was just saying there is a lot of advice out there on burgundy shoes and endless debates on burgundy vs. black. Sorry for the confusion.

post #25467 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Walnut (cordovan) Wednesday



I didn't get the memo yesterday about walnut shell dang it!! smile.gif

 

They look great and well done good sir! 

post #25468 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Yes, for all the hassle, you might as well return them.

So I re-ordered a pair of Strands this morning prior to returning them in store and was wondering if I am able to mix and match the pairs? (ie replace the scuffed left one with the new pair and then pick the best between the two right shoes) Are these shoes uniquely numbered as a pair or just with the model and size number?

post #25469 of 43071
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Yes, for all the hassle, you might as well return them.
So I re-ordered a pair of Strands this morning prior to returning them in store and was wondering if I am able to mix and match the pairs? (ie replace the scuffed left one with the new pair and then pick the best between the two right shoes) Are these shoes uniquely numbered as a pair or just with the model and size number?

no, shoes are not made together in pairs, should be fine.
post #25470 of 43071

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Glad I posted that question here.

 

I'm now seriously considering getting the McAllister in Merlot. The more I look at it, the more I'm getting to appreciate it. I just need to get another belt to match.sly.gif

 

The only reason I started considering the MacNeil was because it seemed like such a versatile shoe -- can be either dressed-up or down. Considering that I still have other office pairs in rotation (To Boot, J&M, etc.), I thought I could use a "dual purpose" AE pair.

 

As for the Strand, I really like my dark brown pair (fit, shape, design, etc.), which is why I thought of getting another one in a different color.

 

Thanks all!
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread