or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1696

post #25426 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgp001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Top mentality, people need to understand they are shoes at the end of the day, they get worn and the creases will take the attention away any small non perfection there are on the shoes.
I'm sorry but AE is a premium product, and if you're buying a premium product you shouldn't be forced to accept flaws just because "they're shoes." A car is just "a car" but if I'm paying a premium for a Lexus or an Acura (which I would equate to the same level of modest premium that AE is), I don't expect it to come with dents and rock chips just because "it's a car." 

Hm, AE is not a premium product, it sits in the entry level of various decent Goodyear welted shoes; but with its variety of styles and fittings, good quality control and customer service, made in USA and widely available, it's one of the best brands in its price range.

And since they are hand crafted with machines, what myself and some other members are saying is to have the right expectation that not everyone pair is going to be matching and perfect.

And with defects, fair enough, no one deserves them and they should be returned.
post #25427 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

Thanks just found out my cappuccino leeds had be rejected bur should be out in two weeks

Cool. It's weird that you are like the third or fourth person (myself included) to be told that. Either AE has an extremely high rejection rate, or they are way behind and using that to buy some time.
post #25428 of 46509

I just received my walnut Strands and when looking them over, I found what looks like a small gouge in the toe. (see pics below) If you received these, would you exchanging them?

 

post #25429 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

I just received my walnut Strands and when looking them over, I found what looks like a small gouge in the toe. (see pics below) If you received these, would you exchanging them?

 

 

 

If its gonna bother you, exchange them. Nothing is worse than having a pair of shoes that you hate looking at.

post #25430 of 46509
Let's make this the walnut Strand problem hour.

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:


I wore them one time and that same shoe is creasing like so:



While the other shoe still looks like this:


Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!
post #25431 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Let's make this the walnut Strand problem hour.

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:


I wore them one time and that same shoe is creasing like so:



While the other shoe still looks like this:


Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!

The first quality Strands I owned had much worse creasing than that in the toebox and on the sides higher up.

 

Allen Edmonds mailed me replacements. The new ones have creasing elsewhere and it looks like the leather has dried out in a spot and is about to start chiping. AE is about the make a third exchange.

 

I don't know what advice to offer except keep exchanging your Strands until you get a good pair. When AE looked at my shoes they were not concerned about the creasing in your first pic, they say that is normal, they were more concerned about the creasing in the toebox which looked 100X worse than your creasing.

post #25432 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post




Brown shell strand

 

 

Great looking shoes. Too bad the Leeds are delayed. I received an email notice last week that one of my shell MTO's had shipped. There wasn't any tracking number included, but I thought I would receive them by Monday at the latest. When they still had not arrived yesterday I sent an email asking about status, and was told the email was a mistake and the shoes are still in production. I feel like Lucy just pulled the leather (football) away.

 

post #25433 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww21943 View Post

I ordered my first pair of AE seconds. Here is a picture of the defect. It's pretty deep. I'm guessing this should be exchanged for another pair. I'm not expecting perfect, but I don't think this could be covered up of would happen with normal wear.

 

Surprised these made it through, even as seconds. That's awful; I would definitely return them

post #25434 of 46509
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Let's make this the walnut Strand problem hour.

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:


I wore them one time and that same shoe is creasing like so:



While the other shoe still looks like this:


Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!

 

 

 

That crease in the waist of the shoe is a common feature of Strands, most pairs have that, it's a result of tension in the leather when it's strecthed around the last. As for the creases, shoes crease when you wear them. Use some shoe trees to minimise it, but if you want shoes without creases, stop wearing them.

post #25435 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfudge View Post

That crease in the waist of the shoe is a common feature of Strands, most pairs have that, it's a result of tension in the leather when it's strecthed around the last. As for the creases, shoes crease when you wear them. Use some shoe trees to minimise it, but if you want shoes without creases, stop wearing them.

I don't really appreciate responses like this. Obviously shoes crease and I'm of course using shoe trees. One is creasing in a much different way than the other and different from my pair of McAllisters. The way it is creasing concerned me so I posted to ask about it. I'd appreciate a response either saying it is normal, or it's not normal, that's it. Unfortunately your post did neither.
post #25436 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Hm, AE is not a premium product, it sits in the entry level of various decent Goodyear welted shoes; but with its variety of styles and fittings, good quality control and customer service, made in USA and widely available, it's one of the best brands in its price range.

And since they are hand crafted with machines, what myself and some other members are saying is to have the right expectation that not everyone pair is going to be matching and perfect.

And with defects, fair enough, no one deserves them and they should be returned.

 

I get that not every pair will be the same, and a certain amount of that is just character, but I still stick by the fact that AE is a product you pay a premium for, and that you should expect a higher level of attention for that premium. Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden, Aldo, these are run of the mill shoes, the kind people pay $70-100 for. I would not expect anything from these shoes. Allen Edmonds run 3-4 times that amount, and for that premium, I do expect something.

 

To follow the car analogy, I wouldn't expect anything from a Nissan Versa, but I would from a Lexus ES350. Yes, an ES350 is barely luxury, and I wouldn't expect Rolls Royce levels of fit and finish, but I do expect it to be a step up from the Versa. Example: orange peel in the paint, mis-matched panel gaps, fine for the Versa, not so for the Lexus. Defects in the leather or finish, frayed stitching, fine for Aldos, not ok for AE.

 

Bottom line, if I'm paying $200-300 or more for a pair of shoes, I want something nice (relatively). AE recognizes this, and that's why they have such a generous return policy.

post #25437 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post


I don't really appreciate responses like this. Obviously shoes crease and I'm of course using shoe trees. One is creasing in a much different way than the other and different from my pair of McAllisters. The way it is creasing concerned me so I posted to ask about it. I'd appreciate a response either saying it is normal, or it's not normal, that's it. Unfortunately your post did neither.

Agreed.  No reason for that kind of sarcasm on this thread.

post #25438 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post

Let's make this the walnut Strand problem hour.

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:


I wore them one time and that same shoe is creasing like so:



While the other shoe still looks like this:


Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!

 

 

If there is one thing I have learned when dealing with AE, there customer service is great. I think you should just take them in to a store or send them the same pics and see what they say, whats the worse that can happen?

post #25439 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

 

 

If its gonna bother you, exchange them. Nothing is worse than having a pair of shoes that you hate looking at.

I'm assuming not, but is there any chance this is something that can be covered with polish/cream? Its small, but I feel there is a chance I'll end up fixating on it.

post #25440 of 46509
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

I'm assuming not, but is there any chance this is something that can be covered with polish/cream? Its small, but I feel there is a chance I'll end up fixating on it.

I've dinged up a pair, it's possible to cover it up with creme and wax but it's never permanent. You will need to patch them up as wax and creme get either worn away or brushed off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread