or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1688

post #25306 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvisa2002 View Post

Someone asked this couple of days. But I don't remember seeing the answer. Could anyone please comment on this.
Will AE price match Walnut Strand with combination tap sole ? (The Nordstrom sale has Walnut Strand with regular sole)


Thanks

There is no official price match policy, so it is hard to say. Give it a shot. The worst they can say is no. You can always buy the regular version and add a topy. Should run about $35.
post #25307 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Titan View Post

 

Beautiful boots! But I don't see any glow...

Soft Glow - the boots straight out of the box, like most AE shoes, have a matte shine.  Although the outdoor light of the photo is pouring more harsh sunlight onto the boots, they are a better shine than how they came.
 

Same photo date, but different angle.

 

Long Branch Boots:  Reg $350, got price match from Nordstrom when AE had them at $246.00

post #25308 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post

Which local Nordstrom store gave you the card for the free professional shoe shine?  The Nordstrom web site doesn't show any Nordstrom stores in Montana.

Spokane, Washington.  The free shine was provided to me by the manager, Brett.

post #25309 of 48282
When does Allen Edmonds have sales on accesories?
post #25310 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post


They are sweet! My experience is that you should size up 1/2 a size.

This shoe is on the 5-65 last which is long and narrow.   I have a pair in size 10D, which is my normal AE size.  These are definitely longer. I have had Kenilworth and Fairfax AE's in 10D and they fit snuggly and perfectly.  The lack of a lining seems to be what makes them a bit roomier.  They are ok in width, but the unlined leather seems stretchy.  Very light and comfortable.  I probably could have safely went 1/2 size down with 9.5D.  

post #25311 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvisa2002 View Post

Someone asked this couple of days. But I don't remember seeing the answer. Could anyone please comment on this.

Will AE price match Walnut Strand with combination tap sole ? (The Nordstrom sale has Walnut Strand with regular sole)

 

Thanks

 

I am looking for the same thing. I have spoken to a manager at Nordstrom to have him look into it... have yet to talk to AE about price matching on their end.

post #25312 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

 

 

Nah, they're not the same. I think OptoDoc mistakenly thought the Neumok's ran big. I merely suggested he may have been thinking of the McTavish. 

 

My experience is that the McTavish runs big and the Neumok actually runs a bit small width wise. 

 

The size difference is accounted for by the nature of the leather that the shoe is made from.  Lined calfskin is the "standard" on which the measurements are based.  To use the same design pattern and last as an example, consider the McAllister, McTavish, and Neumok.  The McAllister would be the "standard" size, being made of lined calfskin.  The McTavish tends to run about a half size larger (on average, but not always), because it is heavier being lined cowhide.  The Neumok is made form a thinner and more flexible cowhide, with no liner, so it makes sense that it would end up a bit more snug during the lasting process.    


Edited by MoneyWellSpent - 7/23/13 at 8:00am
post #25313 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnslater View Post

This shoe is on the 5-65 last which is long and narrow.   I have a pair in size 10D, which is my normal AE size.  These are definitely longer. I have had Kenilworth and Fairfax AE's in 10D and they fit snuggly and perfectly.  The lack of a lining seems to be what makes them a bit roomier.  They are ok in width, but the unlined leather seems stretchy.  Very light and comfortable.  I probably could have safely went 1/2 size down with 9.5D.  

My experience (with the Neumok) was the exact opposite as yours. I don't have the Mctavish.
post #25314 of 48282

I had a different experience fit wise: I found the McTavish smaller than my PAs and the Neumok to be appreciably larger though perhaps it's a function of where you run into fitting issues and even tolerance variations between pairs.

 

10EEE Neumoks felt noticeably larger (to the extent that I returned them for 9.5 EEE) than 10EEE PAs which feel slightly bigger than 10EEE McTavish which are somewhat larger than 9.5 EEE neumoks.  I have a very high instep and an obviously wide foot.  I brannock ~9-9.3 lengthwise.

post #25315 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailstorm View Post

I had a different experience fit wise: I found the McTavish smaller than my PAs and the Neumok to be appreciably larger though perhaps it's a function of where you run into fitting issues and even tolerance variations between pairs.

 

10EEE Neumoks felt noticeably larger (to the extent that I returned them for 9.5 EEE) than 10EEE PAs which feel slightly bigger than 10EEE McTavish which are somewhat larger than 9.5 EEE neumoks.  I have a very high instep and an obviously wide foot.  I brannock ~9-9.3 lengthwise.

 

Sizing advice is one of the most frequent questions in shoe threads.  This discussion is precisely why it should all be taken with a grain of salt.    

post #25316 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by basiameda View Post

Do you know that Macneil is cordovan based off the number code? I have a pair of similar hue that has a nice patina and is developing rolls as opposed to creasing but like this pair, mine does not have dove tail heels...
Hmm. You know what. I just assumed they were cordovan because they were advertised that way and they seem pretty close to cordovan to me. I will double check the style number tonight. I just assumed that the heels were replaced and were not original. My recollection is that they are not similar to AE rubber heels, but maybe they are an older style.

Confirmed, they are Cordovan MacNeils.

pe3u8ana.jpg
post #25317 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvisa2002 View Post

Someone asked this couple of days. But I don't remember seeing the answer. Could anyone please comment on this.

Will AE price match Walnut Strand with combination tap sole ? (The Nordstrom sale has Walnut Strand with regular sole)

 

Thanks

Nordstrom has black Mcallisters on sale. I wanted Mcallister in merlot. AE price matched.

 

Nordstrom was unwilling to sell any different color at sales price.

 

There was a time when Nordstrom was willing to do anything to keep a customer happy. The last year Nordstrom sucks in customer service. The sales associate wouldn't look to see if they had a shirt in my size during Christmas because according to her, they don't ship sales/clearance items. She told me I would have to go home and find it on their website and order it myself.

 

BTW, last year Nordstrom was selling seconds as firsts during the sale.

post #25318 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post

Nordstrom has black Mcallisters on sale. I wanted Mcallister in merlot. AE price matched.

 

Nordstrom was unwilling to sell any different color at sales price.

 

There was a time when Nordstrom was willing to do anything to keep a customer happy. The last year Nordstrom sucks in customer service. The sales associate wouldn't look to see if they had a shirt in my size during Christmas because according to her, they don't ship sales/clearance items. She told me I would have to go home and find it on their website and order it myself.

 

BTW, last year Nordstrom was selling seconds as firsts during the sale.

 

Why do you keep pushing this false information?  You didn't respond to my post from several days ago regarding your initial comment on this.  Maybe you didn't see it.  Regardless, this isn't the case.  

post #25319 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Sorry for your bad experience.  However, it is completely incorrect that they were secretly selling seconds.  Seconds are clearly branded with a "shoe" mark on the waist of the sole, from the factory.  If such a conspiracy were taking place, it would be coming all the way from the top.  Additionally, your experience constitutes a potential defect in the leather (I say potential because I can't see the shoe and many people blow creases out of proportion).  This can happen in a first quality shoe just as easily as it can in a second quality one.  Often, defects aren't discovered until the shoe is worn.  It's the nature of leather.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post

Nordstrom has black Mcallisters on sale. I wanted Mcallister in merlot. AE price matched.

 

Nordstrom was unwilling to sell any different color at sales price.

 

There was a time when Nordstrom was willing to do anything to keep a customer happy. The last year Nordstrom sucks in customer service. The sales associate wouldn't look to see if they had a shirt in my size during Christmas because according to her, they don't ship sales/clearance items. She told me I would have to go home and find it on their website and order it myself.

 

BTW, last year Nordstrom was selling seconds as firsts during the sale.

 
Just in case you did miss it, see above.   
post #25320 of 48282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Why do you keep pushing this false information?  You didn't respond to my post from several days ago regarding your initial comment on this.  Maybe you didn't see it.  Regardless, this isn't the case.  

You want proof that Nordstrom sold seconds during the last sale?

 

Go to any Allen Edmonds corporate store and ask their manager. It helps if they have a Nordstrom close by, as AE stores got some of the Nordstrom sold shoes exchanged and have first hand experience. I told a sales guy at Nordstrom how badly my strands were creased after 2 wearings and he said once the shoes are worn once there is nothing they can do. The AE manager took one look at the shoes and said they NEVER should crease that way. He exchanged the Strands even though by that time it was six months later and I wore the shoes 10 times, and the shoes weren't even purchased at AE.

 

A salesperson I know at Nordstrom also said they sold out quickly and they pushed AE to send whatever they had available. Many people got stuck with seconds they purchased at Nordstrom if they did not make the presale.

 

BTW, this was my first time in an Allen Edmonds store. I was very loyal to Nordstorm in the past but they did not have Mcallister in merlot and I did not want it in black, and the sales associate didn't care if I purchased or not because there were 10 other shoppers. I went to AE to purchase the Mcallister in merlot. I asked the sales guy at AE if the Mcallister would crease the same as my Strands and he requested for me to bring in the Strands. At no time did I ask AE to exchange the shoes. The manager offered to exhange them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread