or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1679

post #25171 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

I currently have the following shoes and need to decide which ones to keep and which to return, or if I should get others.

Fifth Avenue in Brown
Strand in Walnut
McCallister in Black

I don't wear suits to work, just pants and a button down.  I wear suits for other occasions, but rarely.

I was leaning towards the Fifth Ave for everyday wear as simple brown shoes, but now I can't decide if I want to keep the others or not...

Thoughts??

(These are my first AE's!!)

well, it has to be the FA in brown, the bit of brogue on the toe cap gives a subtle variance to the standard cap toe, can be worn in office and casually.
post #25172 of 49398


Sitting here at my desk and I noticed this. Is this a defect or normal?
post #25173 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

well, it has to be the FA in brown, the bit of brogue on the toe cap gives a subtle variance to the standard cap toe, can be worn in office and casually.

agree with this. I love the strand and it would be a bit more casual, but I think the brown FA is more versatile if you are only keeping one
post #25174 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

I currently have the following shoes and need to decide which ones to keep and which to return, or if I should get others.

 

Fifth Avenue in Brown

Strand in Walnut

McCallister in Black

 

I don't wear suits to work, just pants and a button down.  I wear suits for other occasions, but rarely.

 

I was leaning towards the Fifth Ave for everyday wear as simple brown shoes, but now I can't decide if I want to keep the others or not...

 

Thoughts??

 

(These are my first AE's!!)

 

My first shoes were black captoes because they are the most formal. If you go to a black tie event, religious event, marriage, you will want black captoes. I would exchange the FA for black. After that, I would go walnut or merlot. I agree with people who said to return the black mccallisters, they are a nice shoe in merlot. The strand is a good shoe and I would keep it.

post #25175 of 49398

Thanks for the replies.  I can keep more than one!  As of now I plan to keep the FA in brown and the Strand in Walnut.  (These are from the Nordstrom sale and the AE Tent Sale).  This should hold me over until next year's sale when I can get a pair of black, or I can get the Black PA from Nordstrom now....)

post #25176 of 49398

Totally normal. It's where the 360 degree welt end/begins. AE and most companies try to hide it on the instep.
 

post #25177 of 49398
Great. Thanks for the fast reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Totally normal. It's where the 360 degree welt end/begins. AE and most companies try to hide it on the instep.

 
post #25178 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

Thanks for the replies.  I can keep more than one!  As of now I plan to keep the FA in brown and the Strand in Walnut.  (These are from the Nordstrom sale and the AE Tent Sale).  This should hold me over until next year's sale when I can get a pair of black, or I can get the Black PA from Nordstrom now....)

Looks like you do have the resources, should definitely get the black PA as the third pair, or return the FA and keep PA black and Strand Walnut.
post #25179 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatravel View Post

Totally normal. It's where the 360 degree welt end/begins. AE and most companies try to hide it on the instep.

 

All Goodyear welt shoes have them, it's just the higher end ones hide it better with smooth finishing.
post #25180 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Those are some of the ugliest shoes I have ever seen. I feel like I am in the twilight zone after reading people's positive impressions of them on this thread. Really??

I don't get it either but figure that maybe they have some appeal to the younger crowd? I will stick to my Wilbert's however. Rotated them with my burgundy shell Patriot's while in Florida last week. One of my sisters asked me to take my 8 yr. old nephew gator hunting one morning and like OptoDoc I prefer to go barefoot when gator hunting but I find it hard to drive barefoot. Nephew was ready though at this age he is more gator bait, in 4-5 years bet he will have them out of the water, cleaned and on the grill in under 10 min.

 

Another sister was driving the last day there and she blew a tire late at night. I did the change in ~5 minutes on very rough blacktop and managed to tear the shoes up pretty badly.

 

When I got home I saddle soaped them and when dry hit them with 3 coats of AE leather lotion, but no change at all they were still damaged. They have never seen polish or cream, the first couple of years I used nothing but AE leather lotion but the last 2 years have been using Bick 4. I have often said Bick 4 and AE leather lotion appear to be the same thing. They are not I was wrong. The AE leather lotion did nothing at all, I was starting to think I would have to break out the cream. Switched to 2 coats of Bick 4 instead and they are pretty much done now. Over time they should even out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

I haven't seen the downside to it yet, but my oldest Filson item is only 2 or 3 years old, so I don't have any experience with the older stuff.

Most people that own Filson gear would be shocked to see folks in the city with it.... It is still good gear for durability and busting through brush and thickets. I own tin cloth, shelter cloth, cover cloth, safari cloth and feather weight cloth. Some is pretty old especially the tin cloth. I also have a container in the garage with my grandfathers waxed cotton hunting pants and vest made by DuxBak in Utica NY which is almost 100 years old now.

post #25181 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Looks like you do have the resources, should definitely get the black PA as the third pair, or return the FA and keep PA black and Strand Walnut.


Just for reference, my current work shoes are a pair of Black Ecco and pair of Brown Ecco.  I also have a pair of Brown J&M's that I'm wearing today with jeans.  I tend to wear my brown shoes the most that's why I went with the brown FA.

post #25182 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post


Just for reference, my current work shoes are a pair of Black Ecco and pair of Brown Ecco.  I also have a pair of Brown J&M's that I'm wearing today with jeans.  I tend to wear my brown shoes the most that's why I went with the brown FA.

 

I still think the dark brown Fifth Ave is a bit formal for what you plan on wearing it with. There are plenty of other shoes in brown that are not quite so formal.
post #25183 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldude33 View Post



A pic of my walnut Rutledges

 

I need me a pair of these.

post #25184 of 49398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post

2nd day wearing my pair of AEs (strand) purchased from Nordstrom online.  I've noticed that the left shoe squeaks.  You guys think I'll have trouble returning them to my local Nordstrom and getting an exchange?

If your local Nordstroms won't take them back, call AE customer service and explain the issue. This wouldn't be the first time that have had this issue
post #25185 of 49398
Should I keep my Black Players that I bought from last year's Anniversary Sale (that I haven't worn once) , or exchange them for a pair of Daltons that will replace the PS Corso's that I lost in Vegas one weekend?

I already own a pair of black/brown Park Avenue's, haha. Maybe I should just keep the Players and cop the Dalton's anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread