or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1649

post #24721 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

 

Here we go again. I got my third round of Merlot McAllister firsts, and am still seeing problems. As before, they have the same obvious ridges, and the pinking/stitching is a little wonky again:

 

 

Additionally, the back left panel on the right shoe looks quite different, as if it's a darker, rougher leather that isn't able to sit correctly:

 

 

 

And finally, and I think worst of all, the inside leather of the left shoe is wavy in such a way that they bow out off of my foot:

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty discouraged. Should I just give up trying to get a pair of firsts that I'm comfortable width? Which of these problems would y'all find unreasonable? Is this toe cap ridge here to stay?

 

Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

Unless you paid (near) full retail, I'd recommend letting it go or not buying that shoe anymore. No mass-produced, item with that much detail is going to be perfect...ESPECIALLY if it's leather.

post #24722 of 48244

Do they fit well?  Are they comfortable?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

 

Here we go again. I got my third round of Merlot McAllister firsts, and am still seeing problems. As before, they have the same obvious ridges, and the pinking/stitching is a little wonky again:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Additionally, the back left panel on the right shoe looks quite different, as if it's a darker, rougher leather that isn't able to sit correctly:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally, and I think worst of all, the inside leather of the left shoe is wavy in such a way that they bow out off of my foot:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm pretty discouraged. Should I just give up trying to get a pair of firsts that I'm comfortable width? Which of these problems would y'all find unreasonable? Is this toe cap ridge here to stay?

 

Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

post #24723 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmann View Post

 

My guess is that the Strands will still be in stock. This is not a limited or discontinued item. Last year I noticed that some sizes did show out of stock during the sale, but it was just temporary and a day later is was back in stock at the sale price. 

 

You should be able to order any size that they have listed on their website (which I think is all sizes made by AE). This sale is available on-line too. At my local Nordstroms, they rarely have the exact pair of shoes I'm looking for, and they order it. Sometimes it comes from another Nordstrom's store, and sometimes directly from AE. Sometimes I just order from the website myself, especially if I know exactly what I want.

 

This.  Nordstrom does this sale every year.  Both Nordstrom and AE can estimate the volume of shoes that will be sold and adequately prepare.  There will be Strands and Park Avenues for you to buy when the sale opens to the public.  So, for all of you freaking out about this, come down off the ledge and put away the sleeping bag and other gear you were planning to use to camp out in front of Nordstrom.

post #24724 of 48244

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... I recently picked up a pair of AE Strands in walnut. They are some magnificent shoes, but when I was lacing them up, I noticed some darkening in the leather flap that covers the metal eyelets. The darkening is right over the eyelets, almost like the metal caused it.  Is that normal and just a property of the leather that it's contact or pressure on another surface would cause discoloration? Or should I send them back?

 

Thanks in advance for any info!

 

-Scott

post #24725 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmann View Post

 

My guess is that the Strands will still be in stock. This is not a limited or discontinued item. Last year I noticed that some sizes did show out of stock during the sale, but it was just temporary and a day later is was back in stock at the sale price. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

This.  Nordstrom does this sale every year.  Both Nordstrom and AE can estimate the volume of shoes that will be sold and adequately prepare.  There will be Strands and Park Avenues for you to buy when the sale opens to the public.  So, for all of you freaking out about this, come down off the ledge and put away the sleeping bag and other gear you were planning to use to camp out in front of Nordstrom.

 

That's good advice New Shoes. For those eagerly awaiting July 19, you could just a Nordstrom's card and then buy them today. The debit card is free, and as a bonus you get $100 of tailoring each year (more if your purchase a lot), and some cash coupons based on how much you spend. And of course early access to these types of sales. 

post #24726 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... I recently picked up a pair of AE Strands in walnut. They are some magnificent shoes, but when I was lacing them up, I noticed some darkening in the leather flap that covers the metal eyelets. The darkening is right over the eyelets, almost like the metal caused it.  Is that normal and just a property of the leather that it's contact or pressure on another surface would cause discoloration? Or should I send them back?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Scott

Photo please? It's around the eyelets.... No one will notice and it most could be darker polish when they burnish the shoes.
post #24727 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Photo please? It's around the eyelets.... No one will notice and it most could be darker polish when they burnish the shoes.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get the DSLR out tonight to snap some shots, and I just so happen to be borrowing an awesome macro lens (105mm 2.8 for any photo buffs out there) so I should be able to get a decent pic.

 

Maybe I'm just being picky, but for $300 I want them to be right! lol.

 

-Scott

post #24728 of 48244
Keep in mind they are shoes
post #24729 of 48244

Or order the pair you want now and then get the price adjusted once the sale price is opened to the public.

post #24730 of 48244
Got the official word today AE is now out of walnut cordovan and not taking any additional orders. Bummer...I had been trying to order a pair of walnut Leeds.
post #24731 of 48244

Time to start panicking  .  .  .

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Got the official word today AE is now out of walnut cordovan and not taking any additional orders. Bummer...I had been trying to order a pair of walnut Leeds.
post #24732 of 48244

If it helps at all, I have a pair of Mac's in Bourbon and the color near the laceholes seems to be Walnut - not Boubon (and the tongue as well).  I picked them up on sale for $250 and they seem fine but wouldn't have considered them as first at full price.  If you paid full price for those Macs in Merlot I would not keep them, but based only on the bowing of the shoe and the dark spot on the back.

post #24733 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb06 View Post

If it helps at all, I have a pair of Mac's in Bourbon and the color near the laceholes seems to be Walnut - not Boubon (and the tongue as well).  I picked them up on sale for $250 and they seem fine but wouldn't have considered them as first at full price.  If you paid full price for those Macs in Merlot I would not keep them, but based only on the bowing of the shoe and the dark spot on the back.

 

That would make sense.  All AE bourbon shoes start out walnut.  AE then polishes and burnishes them to create the bourbon color.

post #24734 of 48244
Just ordered a pair of Dalton's from my local Nordy's.. I typically wear a 11.5 D (strand) but ordered a 11 E in the boots. They are being shipped from AE. Anyone with experience know the turn time?
post #24735 of 48244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barroomheroes View Post

Just ordered a pair of Dalton's from my local Nordy's.. I typically wear a 11.5 D (strand) but ordered a 11 E in the boots. They are being shipped from AE. Anyone with experience know the turn time?

Weird... I took an 11.5D in Long Branch (same last as Dalton) and 11E in McAllister (same last as Strand), so the exact opposite of you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread