or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1640

post #24586 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

My AE brown shell patriots have broken in very nicely. They loosened up a good bit from when I first wore then and they are now very comfortable. The only issue i've had is that the creases are different on each shoe. I actually tried to crease them the same before I really wore them out but on these it didn't work. I have the Burgundy shell version as well that i'm trying to break in and each shoe creases different on that pair as well. It doesn't bother me at all but it looks a little funny.

Those look good to me. I have had the brown shell patriots for a couple of months now and am breaking mine in also. I am curious, how long have you been breaking them in and are you using the mac method on them or a different method to clean/shine them up. 

post #24587 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

Those look good to me. I have had the brown shell patriots for a couple of months now and am breaking mine in also. I am curious, how long have you been breaking them in and are you using the mac method on them or a different method to clean/shine them up. 

I kept them at my office for a few weeks and wore them for several hours each day. Mostly on the carpet but i'd go outside in them. I didn't really baby them much. They were a tad tight when I got them so I wanted them to loosen up a bit which they did after about 10 wears. After a few weeks of wearing them around the office I took them back home and put them into my shoe rotation. Since it's summer I wear them 3-4 times each week now. As far as maintenance goes I brush them when I take them of and i've used Sapphire Renovatoure on them a few times to get all the excess dye off but most I just brush them. I really do like them.

I'm doing the same thing to the burgundy pair now.
post #24588 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

My AE brown shell patriots have broken in very nicely. They loosened up a good bit from when I first wore then and they are now very comfortable. The only issue i've had is that the creases are different on each shoe. I actually tried to crease them the same before I really wore them out but on these it didn't work. I have the Burgundy shell version as well that i'm trying to break in and each shoe creases different on that pair as well. It doesn't bother me at all but it looks a little funny.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have the same issue with all my shoes; but, then, one foot is a half size larger than the other. Unless your other shoes don't have this characteristic. I would just chalk it up to the fact that our bodies are all going to have some asymmetry somewhere, especially in regards to our gait. Even the shoes aren't going to be perfect mirror images of each other either; so, those two considerations together, different creasing patterns are understandable.
post #24589 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

Excellent comparison! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I *think*I like the new finish more as it removes the light cherry/pinkish tones of the old finish. since you own both, what are your thoughts? that said, The lighting in the picture makes the new one look a bit flat / lacking luster. Do you find that to be the case in real life?

I like the new burgundy finish better, by a mile. Same with the new black finish vs. old black finish.
post #24590 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have the same issue with all my shoes; but, then, one foot is a half size larger than the other. Unless your other shoes don't have this characteristic. I would just chalk it up to the fact that our bodies are all going to have some asymmetry somewhere, especially in regards to our gait. Even the shoes aren't going to be perfect mirror images of each other either; so, those two considerations together, different creasing patterns are understandable.

Yep- I wouldn't worry about it at all.
post #24591 of 46882

Finally got my first two AE pairs. Several posts back, I was asking for suggestions on which first two pairs to get (to be worn regularly with suits). I ended up getting the black Park Avenue and Strand in burnished dark brown. Had a hard time deciding on the Park Avenues, but was instantly sold on the Strands.

 

Interestingly, I was originally set on getting them with the V-tread tap soles. However, when I tried on the Park Avenues (which came with the tap soles), the fit was a bit off -- esp. the left shoe. When I tried another pair with the regular leather soles, they fit perfectly. So decided to just get both pairs with leather soles. The SA told me that it's possible that the tap soles slightly changed the shape of the shoes. I think it's also possible that I just tried on a "bad" pair.

 

Anyway, I know these pairs are not that exciting, but here they are:

 

 

 

post #24592 of 46882
Good looking shoes. Welcome to the club!
post #24593 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Anyway, I know these pairs are not that exciting, but here they are: Warning: New Shoes! (Click to show)





Here's to the first of many. Excellent shoes & good choices!

ps: consider bar-lacing at least the Park Avenues. It looks really clean.
post #24594 of 46882

the burnished dark brown looks very nice  thumbs-up.gif

post #24595 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

Good looking shoes. Welcome to the club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi27 View Post

the burnished dark brown looks very nice  thumbs-up.gif

 

Thanks, guys! The d. brown Strands are really beautiful. Decided on the spot to get them. I had to return for the Park Avenues since I wanted to try some other styles (5th ave., MacAllisters), which they didn't have on my size.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Here's to the first of many. Excellent shoes & good choices!

ps: consider bar-lacing at least the Park Avenues. It looks really clean.

 

 

     Thanks! I agree about the bar-lacing. Will try that later.

 

     And yes, thinking of getting a couple more pairs for more casual occasions. nest.gif

post #24596 of 46882
I never get tired of seeing the classics. Great pickup. I'm in dire need of a black pair but I just can't seem to convince myself to get the PA. Fifth Ave is probably what I'll end up getting.
post #24597 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Finally got my first two AE pairs. Several posts back, I was asking for suggestions on which first two pairs to get (to be worn regularly with suits). I ended up getting the black Park Avenue and Strand in burnished dark brown. Had a hard time deciding on the Park Avenues, but was instantly sold on the Strands.

Interestingly, I was originally set on getting them with the V-tread tap soles. However, when I tried on the Park Avenues (which came with the tap soles), the fit was a bit off -- esp. the left shoe. When I tried another pair with the regular leather soles, they fit perfectly. So decided to just get both pairs with leather soles. The SA told me that it's possible that the tap soles slightly changed the shape of the shoes. I think it's also possible that I just tried on a "bad" pair.

Anyway, I know these pairs are not that exciting, but here they are:







Excellent choices for your first two pairs of AE shoes. I only own two pairs of AEs as well, almost the same ones you have: black Park Avenues, brown burnished Fifth Avenues. Great minds... cheers.gif

And +1 to the straight bar lacing comment above. My preferred method is straight European lacing, as seen here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm
post #24598 of 46882

I think I scored. $54 for what appears to be very lightly used brown burnished kenilworth.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261238138943?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

gonna polish these up nice. 

post #24599 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Finally got my first two AE pairs. Several posts back, I was asking for suggestions on which first two pairs to get (to be worn regularly with suits). I ended up getting the black Park Avenue and Strand in burnished dark brown. Had a hard time deciding on the Park Avenues, but was instantly sold on the Strands.

Interestingly, I was originally set on getting them with the V-tread tap soles. However, when I tried on the Park Avenues (which came with the tap soles), the fit was a bit off -- esp. the left shoe. When I tried another pair with the regular leather soles, they fit perfectly. So decided to just get both pairs with leather soles. The SA told me that it's possible that the tap soles slightly changed the shape of the shoes. I think it's also possible that I just tried on a "bad" pair.

Anyway, I know these pairs are not that exciting, but here they are: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






Great first purchase, having tap soles shouldn't affect the fit of the shoes at all, so you probably just tried on a "bad" pair.

yeah, I would suggest bar or straight European lacing for all dress shoes.
post #24600 of 46882
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

Here's to the first of many. Excellent shoes & good choices!

ps: consider bar-lacing at least the Park Avenues. It looks really clean.

Bar lace both pairs. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread