or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1636

post #24526 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

A pleasure doing business with you.

Except McTavish, I've had no luck with the 5 last. I guess I need a 4 E or something.

Have learned my lesson though. It was really dumb of me to wear them to work. Otherwise I could have just returned them.

Oh well. Glad an SF cat got them. Wear in good health!

cheers.gif

My first pair of "real" dress shoes was a recent pair of McAllisters. I got them in 11E and they're pretty snug, so I could definitely see the 5 last not working for everyone.
post #24527 of 53407
Do people find the burgundy colour from AE true to colour? The pictures on their website make them look too brown for a burgundy IMO. Maybe I want something closer to oxblood. I did browse through some of the pictures here on the thread and do note that some do seem to have a true burgundy tint to them, but as per all pictures light and camera have a huge effect.
post #24528 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

Do people find the burgundy colour from AE true to colour? The pictures on their website make them look too brown for a burgundy IMO. Maybe I want something closer to oxblood. I did browse through some of the pictures here on the thread and do note that some do seem to have a true burgundy tint to them, but as per all pictures light and camera have a huge effect.

Looking at the Mcallister on AE's website, they appear lighter in the pictures than in person. Assuming because of the studio lighting used to take the pictures. But I think in person, the color is much more distinguishable.

post #24529 of 53407

When does the anniversary sale usually kick off?

post #24530 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

Got my Broadstreet's in the mail from the webgem special. Disappointed that they didn't do the vintage label inside but oh well. Pic below.

 

I'm not sure I could pull them off or match them with my daily wardrobe but man are they gorgeous.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

I think the bone calf really makes the walnut pop.  Beautiful shoes. 

 

 

+1!! 

post #24531 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


...Have learned my lesson though. It was really dumb of me to wear them to work. Otherwise I could have just returned them...

 

It took me a while to learn that lesson as well. Over the years, I've tried to make a fair number of ill-fitting (mostly sale) shoes work. I've tried wearing them for a few days, inserting slightly larger shoe trees, insoles, etc. In every case, they eventually ended up in the back of closet. Nowadays, they must feel good out of the box.

 

However, I'd never sold anything at ebay until just recently. Just this week, I sold off a walnut westchester, chili manhattan, walnut georgetown (rubber sole/AE collection) and a pair of J&M Made in Italy. I ended up with close to $400 in a week!

 

All to new homes:

 

 

 

 

 

 

I do think that taking the time to clean & shine really helped. They all sold for more than my BIN price with one exception. The Manhattan were $9 less than my BIN smile.gif.

 

 

Now I'm on the fence about selling off my old-school burgundy shell Macneil's as well. I got them last year when they moved a ton of 1st quality shell via sales. I'm a brannock/TTS 11D with a slightly high instep and ever so slightly wide foot, but still a D width. The Macneil in 11D was too snug and in 11E I was swimming. So at the suggestion of the SA (very helpful) I went with an 11.5D and eventually added a thin insole. After a year, I'm, finally coming to the conclusion that they just don't work and I'm probably better suited to Alden's barrie lasted LWB in color 8 than the Macneil's 7 last. That said, my burgundy shell Leeds in the 1 last feel like they were designed specifically for me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

...Except McTavish, I've had no luck with the 5 last. I guess I need a 4 E or something.

 

I never thought the 5 last would work for me either, which is sad as they have so many nice models on that last. FWIW, the Kenilowrth is the one 5 last shoe that works for me. Guessing its the blucher lacing.

post #24532 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

Do people find the burgundy colour from AE true to colour? The pictures on their website make them look too brown for a burgundy IMO. Maybe I want something closer to oxblood. I did browse through some of the pictures here on the thread and do note that some do seem to have a true burgundy tint to them, but as per all pictures light and camera have a huge effect.

 

I think their burgundy is true and, in person, clearly distinguishable from brown. 

 

I do think it's a deep burgundy as compared to say, Carmina or Loake which I find to be a bit too red. 

post #24533 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris2012 View Post

When does the anniversary sale usually kick off?


For the general population: July 19.

post #24534 of 53407
The five last can be challenging. I had quite a bit of trouble at first. But one I got it down its been a great last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

A pleasure doing business with you.

Except McTavish, I've had no luck with the 5 last. I guess I need a 4 E or something.

Have learned my lesson though. It was really dumb of me to wear them to work. Otherwise I could have just returned them.

Oh well. Glad an SF cat got them. Wear in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

cheers.gif

My first pair of "real" dress shoes was a recent pair of McAllisters. I got them in 11E and they're pretty snug, so I could definitely see the 5 last not working for everyone.
post #24535 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

It took me a while to learn that lesson as well. Over the years, I've tried to make a fair number of ill-fitting (mostly sale) shoes work. I've tried wearing them for a few days, inserting slightly larger shoe trees, insoles, etc. In every case, they eventually ended up in the back of closet. Nowadays, they must feel good out of the box.

However, I'd never sold anything at ebay until just recently. Just this week, I sold off a walnut westchester, chili manhattan, walnut georgetown (rubber sole/AE collection) and a pair of J&M Made in Italy. I ended up with close to $400 in a week!

All to new homes:














I do think that taking the time to clean & shine really helped. They all sold for more than my BIN price with one exception. The Manhattan were $9 less than my BIN smile.gif .


Now I'm on the fence about selling off my old-school burgundy shell Macneil's as well. I got them last year when they moved a ton of 1st quality shell via sales. I'm a brannock/TTS 11D with a slightly high instep and ever so slightly wide foot, but still a D width. The Macneil in 11D was too snug and in 11E I was swimming. So at the suggestion of the SA (very helpful) I went with an 11.5D and eventually added a thin insole. After a year, I'm, finally coming to the conclusion that they just don't work and I'm probably better suited to Alden's barrie lasted LWB in color 8 than the Macneil's 7 last. That said, my burgundy shell Leeds in the 1 last feel like they were designed specifically for me.


I never thought the 5 last would work for me either, which is sad as they have so many nice models on that last. FWIW, the Kenilowrth is the one 5 last shoe that works for me. Guessing its the blucher lacing.
those are gorgeous! Lovely shine
post #24536 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredandTired View Post

I know you do like your shell. Carmina is quite flexible and offers lots of color options if you are willing to branch out beyond AE.

I don't know if I should thank or curse you for luring me into shell with those nice shiny 744s. I've since acquired a few more pairs, including walnut shell Dalton's incoming. They should be done soon in a week or two.

Your welcome. And I'm sorry. And know EXACTLY how you feel.... smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvisa2002 View Post

Bump. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

Same here since I'm experiencing the same issue. Thanks in advance.

My brown shell Patriots fit snug but pretty much perfectly so I ordered the burgundy also. Much to my surprise they are about a quarter size larger. My right foot is just a bit smaller than my left which is common and when the heel hit the ground they flared badly, and when they closed they would push air out. Great, now a loafer with bowing issues! Several AE SA have said minor bowing like that is caused by lack of foot volume but I already wear superfeet insoles. I purchased a pair of thin odor eaters and using only the right one cut it so it is only about long as the superfeet inserts. The bowing and gush of air went away. Might be worth a try. 

 

If it is major bowing you can measure it by comparing the right shoe against the throat opening in the left. It is too large there is nothing you can do except send them back to QA to have them check it and replace it if it is out of specs.

1000

post #24537 of 53407

Gents, your opinions please. 4 last vs. 5 last- If I'm a 12E in the 4, should I go 12 EEE in the 5?

post #24538 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Gents, your opinions please. 4 last vs. 5 last- If I'm a 12E in the 4, should I go 12 EEE in the 5?

I would.

post #24539 of 53407

Did anyone get the Brown/Walnut Webgem Broadstreets? Kickin' myself for not gettin' that color combo.

post #24540 of 53407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Abed View Post

Gents, your opinions please. 4 last vs. 5 last- If I'm a 12E in the 4, should I go 12 EEE in the 5?

I found EEE is too much. I wear EE in the 5 last and E in most everything else
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread