or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1554

post #23296 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

So I'm trying to plan out my next AE purchase, and figured I'd ask for some general input here.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Background: I'm a resident physician in a specialty that is almost entirely clinic based.  I typically wear navy/grey/charcoal/tan wool or cotton pants with a button-down shirt, +/- the white coat.  

 

Current shoes I own:

AE Lasalle in Brown

AE Delray in Chili

AE Fairfax in Chili

AE Bradley in Brown

AE Bradley in Black

RL Sanderson in Walnut

J&M Melton in Black

J&M Melton in Burgundy

 

A few things:

-I don't really plan on getting a Park Ave/Fifth Ave at the moment in black or burgundy, as my J&Ms do the job right now, and I rarely find occasions to wear them anyway

-I'm not big on loafers

-I'm not big on monkstraps

-I don't have much use for dress boots (Dalton, Fifth Street)

-I bought both pairs of Bradleys well-worn/used already (and cheap), and am not a huge fan of them anyway, so I mostly just use them as foul-weather shoes.

 

I've contemplated a pair of bourbon Strands/McAllisters, or perhaps burgundy McAllisters.  I wish they made a burgundy Players Shoe, I like that shoe a lot better than the MacNeil anyway.  

 

 

 

Thoughts/suggestions?  I don't really need any black shoes at the moment.  I really like walnut, but don't necessarily want to overdo it.  What other styles am I definitely lacking here?

 

 

My first though was to recommend the Macneil...until I read your comment about the Macneil vs. Players. What is it about the Macneil you don't like? If it's a sleeker shoe you desire, perhaps the brogued makeups in the Independence line may work, like the LWB Williams or semi-brogue Hancock. I really wanted the Players but couldn't get a size to work right. I have to agree with you that it is a terrific looking shoe.

 

As has been mentioned, you could start the natural progression into full on madness i.e., Shell Cordovan. If you go the shell route, I'd strongly consider the burgundy shell Leeds (and maybe reconsider the Macneil in burgundy shell). I dress similarly for work (just with a SC rather than a lab coat) and I love the versatility of the Macneil/Leeds. They work just as well with wool trousers during the day as they do with casual khakis and denim. 

 

Lastly, I don't see any suede on your list. Suede brogues may be something unique. If you are willing to go with Alden, something in a color like Alden's snuff is a solid three season shoe. I do like Alden's and AE's tan as well but they are only slightly less versatile given that the light color works best in spring and summer. I find snuff looks great in the real warm months but also quite nice in the fall. Note, AE may also have a snuff-like color suede but I'm just not sure, hence the Alden recommendation.

 

Hope that gives you some food for thought. Here's a recent image (last week) of my *burgundy shell Leeds and Macneil for reference.

 

 

*Note that the pictured burgundy is AE's old shade. As much as I like it, the new burgundy shade is downright stunning IMO. Both are nice but I wanted to include the disclaimer that if you don't like the above shade, the new ones are much darker and a bit closer to Alden's color 8.

post #23297 of 49952
A quick shoe stretching update... My issue is my left foot is about 1/2 size larger than right. I was fitted and re-fitted at my local AE store and the SA has been very helpful and believes I'm in the right size (McAllister 7.5 E). After about over a dozen wearings the left was still causing me some discomfort especially towards the end of the day. The SA recommended stretching the left shoe. At first it seemed like the right move however after being on my feet all day at a conference this week it's clear that the shoe is now too big and my foot slides around causing great discomfort. I will not be doing this with my other new pair of McAllister. My Sheltons (1 last, 8 E) fit much more comfortably.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Tongue pad? The SA has been nothing but helpful and I don't want to have to exchange the shoes but I'm wondering if there's anything AE would be willing to do or if there's anything I can do.

Thoughts from the group?
post #23298 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

A quick shoe stretching update... My issue is my left foot is about 1/2 size larger than right. I was fitted and re-fitted at my local AE store and the SA has been very helpful and believes I'm in the right size (McAllister 7.5 E). After about over a dozen wearings the left was still causing me some discomfort especially towards the end of the day. The SA recommended stretching the left shoe. At first it seemed like the right move however after being on my feet all day at a conference this week it's clear that the shoe is now too big and my foot slides around causing great discomfort. I will not be doing this with my other new pair of McAllister. My Sheltons (1 last, 8 E) fit much more comfortably.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Tongue pad? The SA has been nothing but helpful and I don't want to have to exchange the shoes but I'm wondering if there's anything AE would be willing to do or if there's anything I can do.

Thoughts from the group?

The only thing I can suggest is to email Allen Edmonds customer support and ask them the same question you are asking here.

You will definitely get a more precise and committed answer from them.

The opinion of this forum, although interesting, is irrelevant.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Max
post #23299 of 49952
Sometimes a particular last just won't work for you. Have you considered going mto ceo paul has waived the fee in the past for sf members.
post #23300 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

So I'm trying to plan out my next AE purchase, and figured I'd ask for some general input here.

 

Background: I'm a resident physician in a specialty that is almost entirely clinic based.  I typically wear navy/grey/charcoal/tan wool or cotton pants with a button-down shirt, +/- the white coat.  

 

Current shoes I own:

AE Lasalle in Brown

AE Delray in Chili

AE Fairfax in Chili

AE Bradley in Brown

AE Bradley in Black

RL Sanderson in Walnut

J&M Melton in Black

J&M Melton in Burgundy

 

A few things:

-I don't really plan on getting a Park Ave/Fifth Ave at the moment in black or burgundy, as my J&Ms do the job right now, and I rarely find occasions to wear them anyway

-I'm not big on loafers

-I'm not big on monkstraps

-I don't have much use for dress boots (Dalton, Fifth Street)

-I bought both pairs of Bradleys well-worn/used already (and cheap), and am not a huge fan of them anyway, so I mostly just use them as foul-weather shoes.

 

I've contemplated a pair of bourbon Strands/McAllisters, or perhaps burgundy McAllisters.  I wish they made a burgundy Players Shoe, I like that shoe a lot better than the MacNeil anyway.  

 

Thoughts/suggestions?  I don't really need any black shoes at the moment.  I really like walnut, but don't necessarily want to overdo it.  What other styles am I definitely lacking here?

Aside from style . . . may I assume you are on your feet most of the time as an intern?  If so, I have personally met physicians who own 90 pair of Alden and Allen Edmond shoes . . . along with Oxford style Ecco Shoes which are extremely comfortable, yet have a very nice stitched edge/welt look to them.

post #23301 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by captstatic View Post

I just added a new pair of chocolate brown Daltons to my rotation. While I was puting them away, my wife looks over my shoulder and says, "...how many pairs is that now? I think you need therapy..."
biggrin.gif

Chris

Long time married guy here . . . and my wife and I both share the same principle, "Let not one appetite accuse another".

 

Isn't marriage grand!

post #23302 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

A quick shoe stretching update... My issue is my left foot is about 1/2 size larger than right. I was fitted and re-fitted at my local AE store and the SA has been very helpful and believes I'm in the right size (McAllister 7.5 E). After about over a dozen wearings the left was still causing me some discomfort especially towards the end of the day. The SA recommended stretching the left shoe. At first it seemed like the right move however after being on my feet all day at a conference this week it's clear that the shoe is now too big and my foot slides around causing great discomfort. I will not be doing this with my other new pair of McAllister. My Sheltons (1 last, 8 E) fit much more comfortably.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Tongue pad? The SA has been nothing but helpful and I don't want to have to exchange the shoes but I'm wondering if there's anything AE would be willing to do or if there's anything I can do.

Thoughts from the group?

I just had this conversation with two managers are two different Nordstroms Department Stores, on behalf of another colleague.  Unlike AE Stores, if you wear your shoes and develop problems based on an improper sizing by a Nordstrom SA . . . then they will refund or exchange within a year of use.  Obviously, the catch-all here is to have a seasoned SA or Manager at a Nordstroms Department Store (not an outlet) professionally size you, paying particular attention to your arch and the two foot sizes.

 

Another note:  Everyone has different sized feet, some more than others.  60% have a difference of 1/2 inch.

 

Here is a quote:

 

"I am a shoe expert! sell em daily for a living. it is very very common believe it or not! well.. you never want to buy somethin that is going to hurt your bigger foot of course, and you have GOT to stop buying two pairs! waste of money. i suggest buying  . . . whatever size to fit your bigger foot. and then try one of these two things: a force field or a spenco walker runner insole! -footlocker and Champs sports has both of these.- both take about 1/2 size or full size out your smaller shoe. the insole also has a year guarantee." 

post #23303 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

Aside from style . . . may I assume you are on your feet most of the time as an intern?  If so, I have personally met physicians who own 90 pair of Alden and Allen Edmond shoes . . . along with Oxford style Ecco Shoes which are extremely comfortable, yet have a very nice stitched edge/welt look to them.

Well, technically I'm not an intern anymore (that term applies to residents only during their first year of residency). But yes I'm on my feet all day, although I have custom soft orthotics I put in all my AEs (I just go up a half size and a width and they fit like a glove), so they're plenty comfy.

As for the people suggesting shell, I'm not at the point yet where I can justify the purchase of shell yet unfortunately, so I'm sticking with calf!
post #23304 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post







*Note that the pictured burgundy is AE's old shade. As much as I like it, the new burgundy shade is downright stunning IMO. Both are nice but I wanted to include the disclaimer that if you don't like the above shade, the new ones are much darker and a bit closer to Alden's color 8.


Patrick do you have any shoes in the new shade of burgundy? I'd like to see what they look like after you do your magic act on them.
post #23305 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post

There's always my method, shoes for me, gift card to Ann Taylor for my wife.............

My wife works for Ann Taylor, I support this idea.
post #23306 of 49952
Does anybody have pictures of the cordovan Park Avenues with some mileage on them?
post #23307 of 49952
Couple shots from last week



post #23308 of 49952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post


Well, technically I'm not an intern anymore (that term applies to residents only during their first year of residency). But yes I'm on my feet all day, although I have custom soft orthotics I put in all my AEs (I just go up a half size and a width and they fit like a glove), so they're plenty comfy.

As for the people suggesting shell, I'm not at the point yet where I can justify the purchase of shell yet unfortunately, so I'm sticking with calf!

The Manager at Nordstrom's Department Store I spoke to the other day personally has 90 pair of high quality brands of shoes for himself.  The brand he wears most often when he is on his feet each day are ECCO dress shoes.  He recommends them for very, very good comfort - when not wearing Allen Edmonds shoes>

 

LINK TO ONE SALE THIS WEEK:  CLICK HERE

post #23309 of 49952

I just received a pair of strands from the tent sale. They are definitely beautiful shoes, but like all 2nd qualities, there some blemishes. The stitching appears to be off with my shoe. Will this impact the quality of the shoe as I wear it more often? I don't want the sewn-in stitching to be coming out one by one from the holes. By the way, the error on the stitching is on the inside, so it doesn't really affect the shoe's aesthetics as much as one may think. It's really very subtle unless you stare at it. I'm more concern with the on-going construction of the shoe, as I don't want the beautiful pattern to fall apart. 

 

 

post #23310 of 49952
My new Walnut 5th Aves just showed up - and I'll be honest, I can't see the defect....

Here's the growing family

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread