or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1467

post #21991 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

Im not sure, I havent asked. The stain looks like it has set pretty strongly, is leather lotion strong enough to get it out?

I feel like maybe 50 bucks would make it worth it, otherwise I should probably
just return them


agreed, i would try the mac method a few times. Eventually you may scuff them up anyway. Solid beater boots
post #21992 of 47005

Damn- URGENT question, about to leave back to Africa Sunday for three months...

 

 

 

 

Just bought these in Bourbon, got BAD advice on polishing- said to polish with Walnut, then use dark brown for the "burnished" parts. Well, I just used a touch of Renovateur to condition first and it stripped the color from Bourbon to Walnut on the tiny spot of the heel that I tested it on. So this means if I polish with Walnut it will ALL look Walnut, no??

 

What color should I use on Bourbon calf, and should I NOT use Reno ever, as it will strip the beautiful color and leave me to try to duplicate it again? Do I just use neutral polish??

 

Help!! Dammit, I love the Bourbon and don't want to eff it up!!

post #21993 of 47005
Can you post a picture of the discolored area?
post #21994 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post


agreed, i would try the mac method a few times. Eventually you may scuff them up anyway. Solid beater boots

 

 

I wonder if renomat would be a good Idea? It cant be too bad since I would only be using it on a small section of the boot. Im guessing I would need to follow up with renovateur and tan cream?

post #21995 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate View Post

Does anyone know if they sell the shoe trees in AE stores at the same price as online? 2 for $40? How about brushes, polishes, etc?

Or, on the other hand, does anyone know if Nordstrom Rack sells the full toe Woodlore trees? Or only the split/combination?

Thanks!

Since shipping is free, you might want to call the AE shoebank and check. If memory serves I believe if you buy more than 2 it is priced at $17.50 a pair.
post #21996 of 47005
They are on sale for like $16 a pair right now
post #21997 of 47005

Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines.  Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings  .  .  .  boots, loafers, driving moccs.  We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

 

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me.  It fits my needs.  I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different).  And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

 

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested.  My AE store manager tried back channels.  But to no avail.  I've been trying for about a year.  Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for.  Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

 

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step.  They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me.  And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

 

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible.  And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today.  Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

 

 

 

post #21998 of 47005
Kudos on the conceptualization alone. I took mr.g up on his offer as well. They even made a matching walnut cordovan belt for me. Amazing c/s.
post #21999 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines.  Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings  .  .  .  boots, loafers, driving moccs.  We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me.  It fits my needs.  I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different).  And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested.  My AE store manager tried back channels.  But to no avail.  I've been trying for about a year.  Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for.  Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step.  They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me.  And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible.  And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today.  Wear them in good health, gentlemen.










Congrats! Wear in good health.

What are the details of the makeup?
post #22000 of 47005

those look awesome!

post #22001 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post


Congrats! Wear in good health.

What are the details of the makeup?

 

The details are remarkably simple.  It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip.  I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

 

And my thanks to the gentlemen for the kind words (rydenfan & lostron)

post #22002 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

The details are remarkably simple.  It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip.  I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

And my thanks to the gentlemen for the kind words (rydenfan & lostron)

Got me imagining them in cognac red. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in the coming year as a new makeup. Those are indeed lookers.
post #22003 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

Damn- URGENT question, about to leave back to Africa Sunday for three months...






Just bought these in Bourbon, got BAD advice on polishing- said to polish with Walnut, then use dark brown for the "burnished" parts. Well, I just used a touch of Renovateur to condition first and it stripped the color from Bourbon to Walnut on the tiny spot of the heel that I tested it on. So this means if I polish with Walnut it will ALL look Walnut, no??

What color should I use on Bourbon calf, and should I NOT use Reno ever, as it will strip the beautiful color and leave me to try to duplicate it again? Do I just use neutral polish??

Help!! Dammit, I love the Bourbon and don't want to eff it up!!

I have the Bourbon Flatiron and Strand. On both shoes, I used AE cleaner / conditioner then followed with AE neutral carnauba polish. No problems and the shoes look great.

Chris
post #22004 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredandTired View Post


Got me imagining them in cognac red. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in the coming year as a new makeup. Those are indeed lookers.

 

Hmmm, I'm a big fan of the red leather make ups.  I already have the Neumok and Sedona in red.  Otherwise I'd have asked that too   .    .    .

 

post #22005 of 47005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwash View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was planning on taking up Paul's wonderful MTO offer on a brownish (walnut or Capp) shell Kenilworths. I normally wear 12E in the 5-Last but I have seen many a mention to size down on the Kenilworth so I first ordered some black Keniworth seconds in 11 1/2E to check these out first. When they arrived they were too tight, and as a side not--they bowed out at the ankles. I attributed the gaping to the incorrect fitment, as I have never experienced this before. So, I sent those back for for replacement with 12E and also confirmed my order for the Cappuccino Shell Kenilworth in 12E.


My replacement black Kenilworth arrived and while the fit and feel was great, these also bowed out, though not nearly as much as the 11 1/2's. I was now worried about my shells that I had just ordered and contacted Allison at AE. While I've never had any bowing in any of my other AE's, they are almost all balmorals or boots. Here's what Allison said: "If you have a low arch the 3 eyelet blucher style may not come high enough up on your foot and therefore doesn’t wrap as tightly around your foot/ankle area." I believe that this it exactly the cause. First off, when I was a child I had really flat feet, but as I got older and by curling my toes in while walking I eventually did develop arches, but they're definitely not high, or probably even normal arching. Also with the 12E Kenilworths now, if I curl my toes in and back, thereby raising my arch and the top center of my foot just a little bit higher, the gaping goes away!


While this doesn't exactly explain the bowing for those who get it with the PA's with more eyelets, it does confirm that it is related to the individual person's foot shape and therefore is a fitment issue and not a quality issue. It also explains why only some have a problem with it, while most do not.


As far as my shells go, Allison made the suggestion to try out the Black Hills, also a PTB, but with two more eyelets to hopefully make up for the deficit in my arches/foot shape. As an example of AE's exemplary customer service, she's sending me out a new pair of those, just to try on and see if i like them; and we'll go from there. While I'm disappointed not to be getting the Kenilworths and to have to wait longer, this is more than made up by the way the fine folks at AE go far above and above and beyond to make sure there customers are exceedingly happy! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
That is great customer service and one reason I keep coming back to AE.

Hope the Black Hills work out for you and a MTO shell pair is in your near future. I have them and really like them, never would have thought to have a pair made in shell but it would certainly work as a replacement for the Kenilworths IMO.

I hadn't really considered them either and when I looked them up on AE's website, they looked kind of pointy. But, I decided to trust Allison figuring that she knows what she is talking about. But it also occurred to me that these might be kind of Leeds-ish and if so, then I might as well get Leeds as opposed to having custom make up. Naturally, when I went to check out real life pictures, you had posted some side-by-sides:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticfoodie View Post

Any love for BlackHillz, the rough version of the Leeds?
1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Those look good. Can't even tell it's a rubber sole from that pic. I love my Leeds. Black Hills would be a great foul-weather alternative.

You bet. And I have never seen a real picture of the Black Hills in black, thank you for that! There seems to be some variations in color and distressing on the walnut versions. Mine were pretty well distressed so I went ahead and treated them with HDLP and they are totally waterproof now. It actually brought out the variations more however. Which is great for a casual shoe but not so much as a Leeds foul weather replacement. Still I like them a lot for the fall and spring at work in bad weather and all year with jeans. With my black calf and shell Leeds-


1000

And you know what? While I can't exactly put my thumb on it, there is something about the Black Hills that appeals to me quite a bit more so than the Leeds. So again, thank you very much. AE should put you on the payroll, you're doing a fantastic job marketing the MTO's for many of us here! nod[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread