or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1457

post #21841 of 53454

It's pretty early in my life, but I think I've found the one shoe I will pass down to my kids some day. Brown shell Patriot. I've only worn this shoe three times, but each time it's been in a different city. It's discovered the financial districts and bay areas of Toronto, Vancouver and now San Francisco. I wonder where we'll go next?

 

I also took the opportunity to drop by the AE store on Sutter Street in SF. Picked up a few much needed edge dressings. 

RL snuff suede Sanderson and Saunders also came in today!

 

 

post #21842 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

Finally! My first pair of AE, finally got to a store to be properly measured and fitted- loving my Flatirons in the 8 last, these are just elegant and comfortable like a glove. LOVE the Bourbon calf leather, what a great rich, versatile color- was loving Walnut until I saw the Bourbon in person and will be wearing mostly with darker colors and just don't feel the Walnut with that palette...

 

Oh- had to grab the matching belt in the Manistee Bourbon...   : )

 

 

 

They look fantastic in bourbon! Enjoy them.

post #21843 of 53454

I need some guidance. 

 

I have a 20% coupon at Amazon for shoes and thinking about getting either the black Park Avenues or Walnut Strands. 

 

I have no particular need for either, but with the discount, either is a pretty good deal. 

 

I don't have any balmoral shoes to date but do have a black shoe I can wear formally. I also have other pairs of brown shoes already too. 

 

 

Which would you choose? I'm not looking for any more wingtips so that is not up for consideration. 

post #21844 of 53454

I suggest a tropical location.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

It's pretty early in my life, but I think I've found the one shoe I will pass down to my kids some day. Brown shell Patriot. I've only worn this shoe three times, but each time it's been in a different city. It's discovered the financial districts and bay areas of Toronto, Vancouver and now San Francisco. I wonder where we'll go next?

 

I also took the opportunity to drop by the AE store on Sutter Street in SF. Picked up a few much needed edge dressings. 

RL snuff suede Sanderson and Saunders also came in today!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #21845 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

I need some guidance. 

 

I have a 20% coupon at Amazon for shoes and thinking about getting either the black Park Avenues or Walnut Strands. 

 

I have no particular need for either, but with the discount, either is a pretty good deal. 

 

I don't have any balmoral shoes to date but do have a black shoe I can wear formally. I also have other pairs of brown shoes already too. 

 

 

Which would you choose? I'm not looking for any more wingtips so that is not up for consideration. 


walnut strands.  Like you said, you already have a black pair for formal occasions and other pairs of browns. go with walnut strands.

post #21846 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown2 View Post


walnut strands.  Like you said, you already have a black pair for formal occasions and other pairs of browns. go with walnut strands.

thanks. i've now ruled out the park avenue due to it's lack of versatility with anything other than formal wear. 

 

now i'm considering the patriot too...

post #21847 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

thanks. i've now ruled out the park avenue due to it's lack of versatility with anything other than formal wear. 

 

now i'm considering the patriot too...

 

Get the Patriot now and then pick up Walnut Strands for $200 during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale in July.

post #21848 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

It's pretty early in my life, but I think I've found the one shoe I will pass down to my kids some day. Brown shell Patriot. I've only worn this shoe three times, but each time it's been in a different city. It's discovered the financial districts and bay areas of Toronto, Vancouver and now San Francisco. I wonder where we'll go next?

 

I also took the opportunity to drop by the AE store on Sutter Street in SF. Picked up a few much needed edge dressings. 

RL snuff suede Sanderson and Saunders also came in today!

 

 

 

Great shoe.  I'm loving mine as well.

post #21849 of 53454

Ok, you folks have convinced me that I should put a few extra dollars into a sale item at my local Allen Edmonds, I will walk on down to the store later this morning to get fitted so I can order them perhaps today or tomorrow.  Never owned a pair of loafers so I might order a pair of those.

post #21850 of 53454

I need a bit of help from the AE aficionado's concerning fit and selection, no one local has stock in my size so I need a best guess before ordering to minimize the risk of return.

 

So far my selection has come down to the Delray in Black, and possibly the Kenilworths or Leeds in a brown or walnut.

 

I downloaded the AE sizing chart and length wise one foot is just over the 14.5 mark and the other is just shy of the 15 mark, width wise both feet are on the border between the WA and WB range. The WB in 15 would be a D width, the WA a C. The other factor is that my second toe is quite a bit longer than my big toe, which has bumped me up or down in sizing before depending on the shape of the last (with other manufacturers).

 

I'm curious if anyone else with roughly similar size feet relative to the size guide can weigh in here?

 

A little more background; I have large feet and as a result my selection has always been limited, both because few manufacturers makes dress shoes in the 14+ range and even fewer were previously in my price range. But now that I wear dress shoes on a daily basis at work I feel it's worth the investment. I work in an Architectural Engineering field, 'Business casual' (yuck) is the norm, dress pants, open collar dress shirt and other than formal settings it's not often that I have occasion to wear a suit and tie (unless I'm pitching a new client or at an industry event). I was looking for something that could turn double duty for now until I can pick up some more dedicated formal shoes like PA's or Strands in Cordovan. I'm also 6'7" in case height has something to do with the appearance of the shoes.

post #21851 of 53454

Can't the local store establish your size so that you can order the model you want in the size that the store says you are?

post #21852 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

I downloaded the AE sizing chart and length wise one foot is just over the 14.5 mark and the other is just shy of the 15 mark, width wise both feet are on the border between the WA and WB range. The WB in 15 would be a D width, the WA a C. The other factor is that my second toe is quite a bit longer than my big toe, which has bumped me up or down in sizing before depending on the shape of the last (with other manufacturers).

I'm curious if anyone else with roughly similar size feet relative to the size guide can weigh in here?

I'll leave shoe recommendations to the more qualified and, as a 14AA, speak to size. Contrary to what might be expected, the actual length of the shoe is less of a problem once you get that far into the stratosphere; a shoe that intends to maintain any sense whatsoever of proportion will have a toe box that'll accommodate the length of your foot.

When you consider crease patterns and actual comfort of the shoe, it's best to purchase based on the higher of either the ball measurement or the overall measurement. For you, given that Allen Edmonds quits half sizes past 12.5, that sounds like bumping up to a 15 on each side... unless the ball of your foot suggests a still higher size. If your 14.5 foot is on the wider side and your 15 foot is on the narrower side, that actually might be perfect... but all of his is hypothetical without all the actual measurements involved.

I'd suggest hitting a Payless or something and using their Brannock device to check that ball measurement. I know how much fun it is to find shoes in sizes that aren't even on the bell curve, and it's probably best done with a more advanced aid than AE's printout.

ps: I absolutely love my shell Leeds.
post #21853 of 53454

Lots of great pictures in the last day on here and congrats on all the new shoes!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

It's pretty early in my life, but I think I've found the one shoe I will pass down to my kids some day. Brown shell Patriot. I've only worn this shoe three times, but each time it's been in a different city. It's discovered the financial districts and bay areas of Toronto, Vancouver and now San Francisco. I wonder where we'll go next?

 

I also took the opportunity to drop by the AE store on Sutter Street in SF. Picked up a few much needed edge dressings. 

RL snuff suede Sanderson and Saunders also came in today!

 

 

Wow great job. I really like mine also, my next shoe is the burgundy Patriot I like them that much. Where ever you land next, have fun!

post #21854 of 53454

Oh dark thirty start today. Walnut Shell Dundee's under the Metal Halide floodlight this morning:

post #21855 of 53454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

thanks. i've now ruled out the park avenue due to it's lack of versatility with anything other than formal wear. 

now i'm considering the patriot too...

I can't vouch for the Patriot since I've never tried on a pair, but aesthetically I think it's AE's best loafer (I am biased towards non full strap pennies).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread