A few pages ago people were talking about using home shoe stretchers and referred to a few on Amazon. I've had AE stretch one for me with success but I'd rather just spend a few bucks and do it myself instead of bringing them in every time I get a new pair if they need it. Question... those that have done this, did you treat the leather with anything first? Some are saying 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water (I think it was rubbing alcohol I read anyway but need to confirm). Some said heat with a hair dryer first. What is the consensus? Treat first then stretch or just stretch?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 6/30/15 at 3:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:30 am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 6/27/15 at 11:31pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1452
Styleforum Top Picks
I have two pairs of AE from the now defunct Executive Collection that feature executive rubber soles. I also have some other Vibram soled AE's - Benton, Ellsworth, Wilbert, Black Hills, etc. I wear on rainy / snowy days.
AE Wilberts in the rain, or a pair of boots I had made locally from some waxy pull-up aniline leather. I plan on picking up one more pair of Chromexcel rubber-soled boots at some point in the next year for general use (including inclement weather)... at which point I'll have three pair that work, and so in long wet periods they'll each have a couple of days to dry out between wearings.
Depending on what my day entails I will either go with my Quintons (suede upper, dainite-style rubber sole) or smooth leather shoes with SWIMS galoshes. If it's snow or slush I wear the latter as I don't want to get any salted water on my Suede shoes.
Ok, here goes. First, as I said, there are many shades of non-black: dark brown, merlot, walnut, bourbon, chili, and some others. There is only one shade of black. So if I just want one shoe of each color, I have 1 black shoe and 5 brownish shoes.
I am also a lot less likely to buy certain types of shoes in black. I have no use for a black loafer, due to the incongruence between the formaility of the color and the informality of the loafer style. I also don't have any black bluchers, for similar reasons. I have about 4 pairs of loafers and 6 pairs of bluchers. None of these is black.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 33 seconds ago
- › The Look goes on... 57 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 57 seconds ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fattique Baby's tweets are part smart, part retarded and all laugh... 5 minutes ago
- › The GQ Fit (I want it as tight as possible without cutting off... 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...