or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1379

post #20671 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

 

 

Thank You! No wax or polish since I got them last summer. They are the "new" finish and arrived loaded with cream. Could hardly see the burnishing that was under the cream so spent 4 or 5 evenings when new Reno and brushing them till they were clean:

 

 

Since then just the Mac method.

 

They look stunning!

post #20672 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

I was asked for a Strand family picture. As you can tell, I love this model.

From L to R : Dark brown Shell Strand, Walnut Calf Strand, Walnut
Shell Strand. (The shell models need some brushing. The Walnut Shell has some water marks from its last wearing)

These are all indoor shots. In natural light the difference between the
two shell models is more noticeable.
The only improvement I could see making to this model would be adding a double leather sole, akin to the Cambridge model.



[IMG
ALT=""]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/801189/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Thank You Saz, really shocking to see the differences between the two walnuts. I have the walnut calf version as well and I love it. I know others were talking about fit earlier I have considerable room in the toe box but the rest fits like a glove. I learned not to concern myself with the toe box nearly as much.
post #20673 of 53184
I just picked up these in black

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Medallion-Perforated-Captoes/MH00025,default,pd.html?dwvar_MH00025_Color=MDBR&contentpos=179&cmp=AFC_LS_th9ILo5LtqE_256102&siteID=th9ILo5LtqE-a5S2xQAkXTTXhW8HOoRQIw

Do you guys think it works well with dress pants? They aren't as slim as my Kenilworth's. My co-workers were saying they are a bit clunky.. Thoughts?

Real picture - I purchased them from Brooks brothers with their 25% off sale.

post #20674 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I just picked up these in black

Do you guys think it works well with dress pants? They aren't as slim as my Kenilworth's. My co-workers were saying they are a bit clunky.. Thoughts?

Real picture - I purchased them from Brooks brothers with their 25% off sale.

Those are not at all clunky. I have the Walnut Brooks captoe, and I wear it often. I also have the AE Black Strand, it it goes great with dark blue, grey and of course black. To each their own. Wear them if you like how they look...

post #20675 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmot8 View Post

Thanks. I've been looking at the Medallion Perforated Captoe- look like the Strand to me. Can anyone compare the two for me?

If I went Strand I'd go brown burnished calf, brown for the BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanP View Post

Was at Brooks Brothers at Uptown in Dallas this weekend and saw a pair of BB Strands. The biggest difference (and only I could) see was the sole as it was not full leather but you couldn't readily see it was a rubber soled shoe. Of course the branding in the shoe was different but the sole was the only cosmetic difference.

-S

 

The differences are in the Poron insole, outsole, and branding. Search this thread for stuff like BB/Brooks/Poron for more information on the insole.

post #20676 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Aye, there is no hope once you start down that slippery slope that is shell. The 3 choices that you are considering I have all 3 of them in walnut shell. My personal goal is to acquire a boot, chukka, and shoe all in each color of shell offered by AE. Be careful what you wish for!

 

First day to actually wear my burgundy shell Kenilworths from eBay. Really like the look and smell of them. This picture better shows off the creases (but not the blotches) I was talking about:

 

 

post #20677 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I just picked up these in black

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Medallion-Perforated-Captoes/MH00025,default,pd.html?dwvar_MH00025_Color=MDBR&contentpos=179&cmp=AFC_LS_th9ILo5LtqE_256102&siteID=th9ILo5LtqE-a5S2xQAkXTTXhW8HOoRQIw

Do you guys think it works well with dress pants? They aren't as slim as my Kenilworth's. My co-workers were saying they are a bit clunky.. Thoughts?

Real picture - I purchased them from Brooks brothers with their 25% off sale.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

Those are not at all clunky. I have the Walnut Brooks captoe, and I wear it often. I also have the AE Black Strand, it it goes great with dark blue, grey and of course black. To each their own. Wear them if you like how they look...

 

I agree.  They aren't clunky at all in my opinion.  What is it that they are saying is clunky about them?  Both shoes are built on the 5-last.  The broguing on the Brooks Brothers shoe gives it a heaver appearance to the initial glance, but the fact that it is a balmoral whereas the Kenilworth is a blucher should help neutralize that difference.  The Brooks Brothers shoe has the rubber tap sole... is it the sole thickness that they are saying is clunky? 

post #20678 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

First day to actually wear my burgundy shell Kenilworths from eBay. Really like the look and smell of them. This picture better shows off the creases (but not the blotches) I was talking about:

 

 

 

I know it was already said, but I just wanted to emphasize that those look great, and the creases look perfectly normal.  Hope you enjoy them. 

post #20679 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

I know it was already said, but I just wanted to emphasize that those look great, and the creases look perfectly normal.  Hope you enjoy them. 

 

Thanks for the kind words. I really am enjoying them. And a steal at under $300.

 

Next stop, those dark brown shell Townley's I haven't taken for a spin yet. I thought this shell craze was a joke, but it really might become a problem soon...

post #20680 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

First day to actually wear my burgundy shell Kenilworths from eBay. Really like the look and smell of them. This picture better shows off the creases (but not the blotches) I was talking about:

 

 

 

Those look awesome!  I now really want a brown shell Kenilworth.

post #20681 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post


I agree.  They aren't clunky at all in my opinion.  What is it that they are saying is clunky about them?  Both shoes are built on the 5-last.  The broguing on the Brooks Brothers shoe gives it a heaver appearance to the initial glance, but the fact that it is a balmoral whereas the Kenilworth is a blucher should help neutralize that difference.  The Brooks Brothers shoe has the rubber tap sole... is it the sole thickness that they are saying is clunky? 

They said how the top of the shoe isn't as sleek and form fitting. The "gap" I guess between the sole and the shoe as well.

Ah well.. I like em so. It does have a little scuff on it but it should buff out with some polish.
post #20682 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post


They said how the top of the shoe isn't as sleek and form fitting. The "gap" I guess between the sole and the shoe as well.

Ah well.. I like em so. It does have a little scuff on it but it should buff out with some polish.

 

Interesting.  Well, I think you are right not to worry about it. 

post #20683 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

Thanks for the kind words. I really am enjoying them. And a steal at under $300.


Next stop, those dark brown shell Townley's I haven't taken for a spin yet. I thought this shell craze was a joke, but it really might become a problem soon...

I'd say it's a problem now, it's just now getting to AE. Try looking for Alden shell. It appears horween has little to none in stock. What is out there keeps increasing in price. I believe a pair I purchased In January has gone up 40-50 USD already this year. Allen Edmonds is still a great buy at below $700. Some of the exotic Alden models are closing in on $800 or more by the time tax is included. Not to mention the shoe trees, polishes, brushes etc.
post #20684 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I just picked up these in black

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Medallion-Perforated-Captoes/MH00025,default,pd.html?dwvar_MH00025_Color=MDBR&contentpos=179&cmp=AFC_LS_th9ILo5LtqE_256102&siteID=th9ILo5LtqE-a5S2xQAkXTTXhW8HOoRQIw

Do you guys think it works well with dress pants? They aren't as slim as my Kenilworth's. My co-workers were saying they are a bit clunky.. Thoughts?

Real picture - I purchased them from Brooks brothers with their 25% off sale.


I have the AE Walnut calf Strand and AE Brown shell Strand.

Your shoes are not clunky and they are on the same last as the Kenilworth.

Of course they work with dress pants.

If black calf Strands don't work with dress pants, then they don't work with anything. And I am not being sarcastic. biggrin.gif
post #20685 of 53184
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

I was asked for a Strand family picture. As you can tell, I love this model.

From L to R : Dark brown Shell Strand, Walnut Calf Strand, Walnut Shell Strand. (The shell models need some brushing. The Walnut Shell has some water marks from its last wearing)

These are all indoor shots. In natural light the difference between the two shell models is more noticeable.
The only improvement I could see making to this model would be adding a double leather sole, akin to the Cambridge model.




Sazon-
What shoe care products do you use on the walnut calf pair? They look great
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread