or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1361

post #20401 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKongoEmpire View Post

 

 

Can I have the name of these beauties?

 

 

To Boot New York's "Caine":

 

http://www.toboot.com/shoes/Caine

 

You can actually get them on Amazon for a fraction of the original price:

 

http://www.amazon.com/To-Boot-New-York-Caine/dp/B005LCKRA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367679322&sr=8-1&keywords=to+boot+new+york+caine

 

They come in both calfskin leather (as mine are above) or patent leather.  The "Vernice" option is patent leather, the "Parma" option is what I have, regular calfskin.

post #20402 of 43451
On the last sale, I ordered some Neumoras in 12E, they're beautiful shoes, but I'm having fitment problems. The width on the fore part is just right, if not a hair snug, the problem is rear of the shoe. I can fit my ring finger behind my heel and also the heel is too wide as there is some play laterally. 12E fits fits close to perfect in the 5, 4 and 8 lasts. I also have a pair of 5th streets in 11 1/2 EEE and they fit ok. Since the heel is so loose on the Neumoras, even side to side, I'm afraid if I try them in 11 1/2 EEE, I'll be ok with the length, but I'll still have too much room in the heels. 11 1/2E will definitely squish my toes. Does anyone have any suggestions or is the 2-last just not an option for me? Thanks
post #20403 of 43451
It's semi-OT for this thread, but I just made a crude watch strap out of the walnut shell cordovan samples I got from the Paul Grangaard MTO offer (I ended up ordering a pair of walnut shell Kenilworths). Those sample swatches are much larger than I thought they would be, and just long enough for watch straps:

AE shell cordovan watch strap


post #20404 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post

It's semi-OT for this thread, but I just made a crude watch strap out of the walnut shell cordovan samples I got from the Paul Grangaard MTO offer (I ended up ordering a pair of walnut shell Kenilworths). Those sample swatches are much larger than I thought they would be, and just long enough for watch straps:

AE shell cordovan watch strap


Wow, very impressive. Mind sharing how you went about making that?
post #20405 of 43451
I foresee a run on cordovan sample swatches . . .
post #20406 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I foresee a run on cordovan sample swatches . . .

That was my first thought too!

 

MacktasticGDogg nice job. I have had the same thought collecting a number of shell samples over the last year from AE. But I also want the natural shell and like the job that Dave Mitchell did on my shell wallet. So when the bleeding is over with shoes will contact him and see if he would make up 2 straps from leather supplied by me (samples) in addition to the natural shell that he offers.

 

http://www.mitchell-leather.com/Custom_Watches.html

post #20407 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Wow, very impressive. Mind sharing how you went about making that?

Thanks. A while ago I decided to try making a few watch straps for myself and gathered some leather working tools in the process, so I had everything needed to make a simple watch strap. Here's a video that more or less got me started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAelAHcT7LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I foresee a run on cordovan sample swatches . . .

Haha, I hope I didn't cause further shortage of shell cordovan. tongue.gif Seriously though, those sample swatches are probably 4~5 times larger than I anticipated. Everyone who got them should try to make some use out of them. I'm not sure what else one could do with them besides making watch straps though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I foresee a run on cordovan sample swatches . . .
That was my first thought too!

MacktasticGDogg nice job. I have had the same thought collecting a number of shell samples over the last year from AE. But I also want the natural shell and like the job that Dave Mitchell did on my shell wallet. So when the bleeding is over with shoes will contact him and see if he would make up 2 straps from leather supplied by me (samples) in addition to the natural shell that he offers.



http://www.mitchell-leather.com/Custom_Watches.html

Thanks. That's a nice looking strap. You should definitely go for it with your shell samples sometime.
post #20408 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKongoEmpire View Post

 

 

Can I have the name of these beauties?

 

 

To Boot New York's "Caine":

 

http://www.toboot.com/shoes/Caine

 

You can actually get them on Amazon for a fraction of the original price:

 

http://www.amazon.com/To-Boot-New-York-Caine/dp/B005LCKRA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367679322&sr=8-1&keywords=to+boot+new+york+caine

 

They come in both calfskin leather (as mine are above) or patent leather.  The "Vernice" option is patent leather, the "Parma" option is what I have, regular calfskin.

thank you. They don't have my size though. 13

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
post #20409 of 43451
So how does one go about getting seconds? Does it have to be from the factory outlet in WI? I just e-mailed asking to get on a mailing list for sales. If they put me on it, I can just place orders over the phone and they'll deliver?
post #20410 of 43451

Yes, you can order them over the phone.  However, I have now subscribed to that mailing list three times.  I always get a prompt response with the list, but I have never once received subsequent updates automatically.  I have to call or email each time I want to see it and, honestly, I just forget.  I would probably own 5 or 6 more pairs of AE's if they would just send me the darned thing periodically.

post #20411 of 43451
Guess I whined more than once on here about not being able to pick up the Cappuccino shell McAllister’s when they were offered. Several people sent me PM’s soon after Paul made his offer that I might be able to now get them. I did, ordered them a week ago last Friday, thank you!
 
My goal for shell is a boot, chukka and wingtip shoe (except for black, went with PA) in each color of shell available. When I called Friday before last to place the order I also went to place an order for the Bayfield in Cappuccino shell. Shell McAllister’s were no problem, standard mirror of the webgem that was offered. I have been talking with Deborah, Senior member of AE Seal Team 6. She asked what soles I wanted for the Bayfield and I said living in Mn. I would prefer the butyl soles due to the snow. She surprised me by saying that their CEO named Paul lives in Mn. and everyone there has started watching the weather in Mn. because he flies back and forth all the time and they worry about him and his safety flying in all the storms. That says a lot about Paul and the Leader that he is. And she agreed that the winter weather over here is pretty harsh much of the time. I had a pretty high opinion of Paul before because of what he has done with AE but her simple matter of fact statement took it up another notch. Or two.
 
I said that if I wanted more traction after awhile I could add half soles to the butyl soles. She said hold on that is a risky proposition. In her experience the oil in the butyl soles can sometimes, but not always, interfere with the glue used to stick them on. And there is no way of knowing a head of time if it will work or not. On the Wolverine 1K thread there are a lot of complaints about half soles falling off, sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. They are butyl soles. Mystery solved, it is not the cobbler or the glue used. So I decided to go with the JR soles and she offered to have the factory put the tap soles on. I said thanks but I’ll pass as I might go with a more aggressive half sole like the raptor so I will have my cobbler do it. She said that is fine but be careful some cobblers don’t know any better and put the half sole on the whole bottom of the sole up to the heel and that interferes with the shoe flexing, and then you end up walking like Frankenstein. Every once in awhile Man of Lint comes on here and warns not to get half soles put on because it will turn your shoes into Frankenstein shoes. I never understood why he has said that as I have some shoes\boots with half soles and they are fine. Anyone want to bet his cobbler did the whole bottom of the shoe instead of just the front part that touches the ground? 
 
Getting ready to place the order finally she says for size 10D correct? She has my whole order history in front of her including more than half a dozen shoes and boots on the 1 last all in 10D. I said no I want to get a 10E because my CXL and black calf Bayfields are a bit snug. In fact at the end of the day if I walk a lot I look forward to taking them off. She said that they do not fit me because of the poron insoles and that she is buying them back from me wow.gif I was stunned and warned her that they both have a lot of miles on them and are not resalable. And they work, just not the best fit at the end of the day. She said that didn’t matter, I was a very good customer but more importantly she wanted every AE shoe and boot that I own to fit me perfectly. 
 
Then she asked me a few more questions about fit of different shoes and said because I am the same size on the 1 and 5 last that in her experience the Bayfield in 10.5D might fit me better than the 10E. I really thought the 10E would be a better bet but decided by this point that she certainly knew what she was talking about. She said lets make sure we get this right for these very expensive boots and from my order history it didn’t look like I was going barefoot any time soon so lets take our time. And I'm going to send you some to try on in both 10.5D and 10E to make sure which is the best fit. She did some checking and found a Bayfield in 10.5D which she sent. There were no Bayfield’s in 10E available anywhere except in Italy which she couldn’t get so she sent me a 10E Malvern which has memory foam in the foot bed similar but thicker than the poron insole, and I had to return a pair of Malvern in 10D in the past because they were too tight. 
 
Just got them both last night and sure enough just like she said the 10.5D fits me perfectly. The 10E feels much like the Alden Barrie last with way too much play in the heel. Creasing and fit of the 10.5D is spot on much to my surprise. After trying them both on I tried my well worn 10D Bayfield’s and was shocked at how badly they fit in comparison, so I will see if I can buy the 10.5D black calf that she sent me. 
 
There is Customer Service. And then there is AE Customer Service. I’ve been impressed with them in the past but this time they really floored me. Come Monday I’m calling and order cappuccino shell Bayfield’s in10.5D.
post #20412 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Guess I whined more than once on here about not being able to pick up the Cappuccino shell McAllister’s when they were offered. Several people sent me PM’s soon after Paul made his offer that I might be able to now get them. I did, ordered them a week ago last Friday, thank you!
 
My goal for shell is a boot, chukka and wingtip shoe (except for black, went with PA) in each color of shell available. When I called Friday before last to place the order I also went to place an order for the Bayfield in Cappuccino shell. Shell McAllister’s were no problem, standard mirror of the webgem that was offered. I have been talking with Deborah, Senior member of AE Seal Team 6. She asked what soles I wanted for the Bayfield and I said living in Mn. I would prefer the butyl soles due to the snow. She surprised me by saying that their CEO named Paul lives in Mn. and everyone there has started watching the weather in Mn. because he flies back and forth all the time and they worry about him and his safety flying in all the storms. That says a lot about Paul and the Leader that he is. And she agreed that the winter weather over here is pretty harsh much of the time. I had a pretty high opinion of Paul before because of what he has done with AE but her simple matter of fact statement took it up another notch. Or two.
 
I said that if I wanted more traction after awhile I could add half soles to the butyl soles. She said hold on that is a risky proposition. In her experience the oil in the butyl soles can sometimes, but not always, interfere with the glue used to stick them on. And there is no way of knowing a head of time if it will work or not. On the Wolverine 1K thread there are a lot of complaints about half soles falling off, sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. They are butyl soles. Mystery solved, it is not the cobbler or the glue used. So I decided to go with the JR soles and she offered to have the factory put the tap soles on. I said thanks but I’ll pass as I might go with a more aggressive half sole like the raptor so I will have my cobbler do it. She said that is fine but be careful some cobblers don’t know any better and put the half sole on the whole bottom of the sole up to the heel and that interferes with the shoe flexing, and then you end up walking like Frankenstein. Every once in awhile Man of Lint comes on here and warns not to get half soles put on because it will turn your shoes into Frankenstein shoes. I never understood why he has said that as I have some shoes\boots with half soles and they are fine. Anyone want to bet his cobbler did the whole bottom of the shoe instead of just the front part that touches the ground? 
 
Getting ready to place the order finally she says for size 10D correct? She has my whole order history in front of her including more than half a dozen shoes and boots on the 1 last all in 10D. I said no I want to get a 10E because my CXL and black calf Bayfields are a bit snug. In fact at the end of the day if I walk a lot I look forward to taking them off. She said that they do not fit me because of the poron insoles and that she is buying them back from me wow.gif
 I was stunned and warned her that they both have a lot of miles on them and are not resalable. And they work, just not the best fit at the end of the day. She said that didn’t matter, I was a very good customer but more importantly she wanted every AE shoe and boot that I own to fit me perfectly. 

 
Then she asked me a few more questions about fit of different shoes and said because I am the same size on the 1 and 5 last that in her experience the Bayfield in 10.5D might fit me better than the 10E. I really thought the 10E would be a better bet but decided by this point that she certainly knew what she was talking about. She said lets make sure we get this right for these very expensive boots and from my order history it didn’t look like I was going barefoot any time soon so lets take our time. And I'm going to send you some to try on in both 10.5D and 10E to make sure which is the best fit. She did some checking and found a Bayfield in 10.5D which she sent. There were no Bayfield’s in 10E available anywhere except in Italy which she couldn’t get so she sent me a 10E Malvern which has memory foam in the foot bed similar but thicker than the poron insole, and I had to return a pair of Malvern in 10D in the past because they were too tight. 
 
Just got them both last night and sure enough just like she said the 10.5D fits me perfectly. The 10E feels much like the Alden Barrie last with way too much play in the heel. Creasing and fit of the 10.5D is spot on much to my surprise. After trying them both on I tried my well worn 10D Bayfield’s and was shocked at how badly they fit in comparison, so I will see if I can buy the 10.5D black calf that she sent me. 
 
There is Customer Service. And then there is AE Customer Service. I’ve been impressed with them in the past but this time they really floored me. Come Monday I’m calling and order cappuccino shell Bayfield’s in10.5D.

Great story. Thanks for passing it along. I have been working with Deborah this week on my custom order too, as well as on two special request recrafts I have at AE. She has been terrifically pleasant to deal with.
post #20413 of 43451
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

 

Thanks for the info. cosmicmes, can you speak more about your experience with shoes having a W and AE not recrafting them? What does the W stand for? I have seconds as well as eBay purchases, and none of my seconds have the W on them. Do you know what it means?

 

Bump

post #20414 of 43451

Does anyone have a phone number for someone on this AE "SWAT" team? I e-mailed Mr. Grangaard earlier this week but haven't heard back, and after seeing pictures earlier of shell cappuccino Mcallisters I've decided I simply must have some cappuccino shell Macneils.

post #20415 of 43451

The sun came out, so I took a new group picture of the shell.  This encompasses all colors currently available from AE.  From left to right:

 

Black Park Avenue, New Burgundy MacNeil, Old Burgundy Leeds, Dark Brown Dundee (we now know that brown and dark brown are the same!), Brown Strand, Cappuccino McAllister, Walnut Dalton.

 

 

AppleMark

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread