or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1358

post #20356 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

I was thinking Chili Sharkskin Dundee's. But now that you mention it..... hmmmm I like it! biggrin.gif

I was thinking something like the Carlsbad, in linen, with otherwise chili shark uppers...
post #20357 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

Two words: Chili Shark.

An interesting suggestion. What is the most exotic species/combo AE has done?

I want to get a 7 species set of AE shoes:

Shark
Ostrich
Gator
Croc
Cordovan
Calf
Buffalo

Maybe take a pair of mccalisters or strands and have each piece of leather be a different animal?

Ridiculous, I know, but this is SF.

Also, agree with the fighting bit. We are all friends here. If someone makes a snide comment, just assume it was sarcastic and let it slide. I work in DC and its just sickening to see what has happened to politics. America (and the rest of the world) has no need for this kind of fighting, especially between as sophisticated gentlemen as us. Can we all agree to put past tifts behind and just to move forward?
post #20358 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

 America (and the rest of the world) has no need for this kind of fighting, especially between as sophisticated gentlemen as us.

 

Amen. Civility in argument and open discourse is sorely lacking in these times.

post #20359 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

 

Please add a few more words.  

 

 

Dundees!  I know Cold Iron likes that word.

post #20360 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

Amen. Civility in argument and open discourse is sorely lacking in these times.
The argument is a very useful tool to process differing views, present facts ,hopefully come to agreement and thereby gain knowledge . When insults are introduced because of the infantile need to be " right " ignorance becomes the only possible end result
post #20361 of 49535
MarkD - I had a pair of Walnut Strands with the leather sole (currently up on eBay - inaccurate size for me) and a pair of new McAllister's with the tap sole. I live in Minnesota and will always try to purchase shoes with the tap sole when possible. I do not wear my AEs in bad weather, but even walking from my car to my office with a wet ground seems to wear the shoe in an accelerated manner. I know that not all of their shoe offerings have this option, but I'll purchase it when I can.
post #20362 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post


An interesting suggestion. What is the most exotic species/combo AE has done?

I want to get a 7 species set of AE shoes:

Shark
Ostrich
Gator
Croc
Cordovan
Calf
Buffalo

Maybe take a pair of mccalisters or strands and have each piece of leather be a different animal?

Ridiculous, I know, but this is SF.

Also, agree with the fighting bit. We are all friends here. If someone makes a snide comment, just assume it was sarcastic and let it slide. I work in DC and its just sickening to see what has happened to politics. America (and the rest of the world) has no need for this kind of fighting, especially between as sophisticated gentlemen as us. Can we all agree to put past tifts behind and just to move forward?

OK - I have shark, gator, cordovan, calf, and buffalo (bison).  Ostrich is an option for MTO through Paul's program, but I think it's just not for me.  (I know, that's hard to swallow from a guy with three pairs of orange AEs).  I don't know if they've ever done croc, as I think it would look the same as gator.  The croc they have now is only embossed leather.  I think we should count suede as a different animal too!

post #20363 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Good question Max. Long story but a week ago today I was talking to the SWAT team that Paul put together and they were looking to send me a 10.5D and 10E Bayfield to check for fit. She was able to find a 10.5D which should come today but the only 10E left in the world was in Italy and she said she couldn't call them back because of customs. So I think they do have some of the American collection. But rumor had it that the brown shell Townley was only available for the European market, so they may have the best of both worlds there. And welcome to the AE thread!
Yes they are, I agree and love mine. I will eventually pick up another pair in a different color I have brown on brown. David posted a link to old AE catalogs and I was surprised to see the Strawfut offered in the 1957 catalog complete with the same nylon mesh uppers.



I look forward to wearing mine again, soon I hope.
OK Doc it is a deal. I'm thinking Jan. Feb. or March of next year for a weekend? If I can hold out that long!
I was thinking about your custom orthotics (yes we are all great enablers here :-) and a conversation I had with my admin assistant last year. Her son had to start wearing them and instead of the old style like you likely have he ended up with what they called a sports model. Instead of the molded fiberglass ones that have been around forever they are much thinner and even cushioned. Her husband wears orthotics and when he saw his sons he went to the same doctor and had a pair made for him. She said they are much thinner and work in normal shoes and sneakers. May be worth looking into, it would really open up a new world to you as far as options go.
Those are just fantastic!! I am lucky and blessed to have 3 pair of walnut shell:



And none of them are the lighter color of yours. Yours really look great. The 5 last fits me like it was made for my foot, although the 1 last is close too and I also have had minimal creasing with both lasts. Which I really also like.

Thanks very much, Cold Iron! Was lucky enough to get them with the AAFES special order program and the generous AE military discount. Love your walnut shell Daltons; should have picked those up along with the Strands!
post #20364 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylkim30 View Post

I think people really have to learn to chill out a little bit. It's like once every two days there's a new flame war on this thread. And it is always much ado about nothing.

 

The off-topic vendettas are clogging up this thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post


Also, agree with the fighting bit. We are all friends here. If someone makes a snide comment, just assume it was sarcastic and let it slide. I work in DC and its just sickening to see what has happened to politics. America (and the rest of the world) has no need for this kind of fighting, especially between as sophisticated gentlemen as us. Can we all agree to put past tifts behind and just to move forward?

 

Could not agree more.  It's become ridiculous around here lately with the vitriole and attacks we are seeing from non-regular posters on such innocuous topics as the Great American shoe debate, Renovateur and a simple suggestion to e-mail Paul about a MTO.

post #20365 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

I was thinking about your custom orthotics (yes we are all great enablers here :-) and a conversation I had with my admin assistant last year. Her son had to start wearing them and instead of the old style like you likely have he ended up with what they called a sports model. Instead of the molded fiberglass ones that have been around forever they are much thinner and even cushioned. Her husband wears orthotics and when he saw his sons he went to the same doctor and had a pair made for him. She said they are much thinner and work in normal shoes and sneakers. May be worth looking into, it would really open up a new world to you as far as options go.

 

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to talk to my Podiatrist about it. I was already thinking about having a second pair made so I wouldn't have to constantly switch them between my shoes. I now have an even better reason to go bother her and see if there are options for less bulky models.

post #20366 of 49535

Maybe I'm being overly picky with my new Daltons, but I wanted another opinion. I ordered a pair of firsts from the outlet because they had a coupon that got me 15% off. After three wears, a bunch of the stitching on the boot was coming loose. AE replaced the pair and though they told me they were backordered 3-4 weeks, I had them in a few days--today. After looking at my second pair, I'm not overly thrilled with some of the small details. I've attached a few pictures, let me know if this is normal or excessively obtrusive flaws. I feel like a $395 retail pair of boots should show up at my door in flawless condition.

 

 

 

 

 

post #20367 of 49535
I would be inclined to return. The finishing looks quite subpar on them. I admire the speed in getting you a second pair, but I would've gladly waited for an extra week for a well finished pair.

My calf Dalton's look much cleaner than that. I just received a pair of shell Dalton's recently. The actual welting to the sole is off and now it's got to be returned as well.

First few bumps with AE, hopefully the last.
post #20368 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

Dundees!  I know Cold Iron likes that word.

UH OH!! Please do me a favor and before you post pictures of them warn me so I will not be tempted. On the other hand I was thinking early today that I should sell my Alden Ravello chukka's and replace them with another AE Dundee. I really like your choice polojock615... smile.gif. The last thing I need is for you guys to get me started in exotic leathers, outside of shell that is. Although last year about this time I shot a sub gauge event with a lawyer down in Nebraska who had $250K of the finest SxS shotguns I have ever seen. And I kept staring at his chukka's in ostrich and croc, they were absolutely beautiful. He saw me looking at them and laughed then said aren't they great?! He said as soon as he saw them he thought they were the so damn pretty he just had to have them. I've been able to not think about those so much since then. Until now.

 

I agree very much with everyone else that it is great to get things back on track in this thread. The one good thing over the last couple of weeks is that englade321 has posted what has become two of my favorite posts that have ever been posted on SF.

Quote:15

Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

I warned you! (Click to show)

I just came over here looking for info @ some shoes im interested in and i find you guys messing around with SHELL CORDOVAN . Do you guys have any idea how dangerous that stuff is ! You can never have enough . If you fret about spending $300 on shoes now you aint seen nothing. Mess with that stuff and you'll find yourself dropping $750 a pop and you'll be looking at another pair you gotta have while they'r still in the mail Dont take my word for it. Go lurk around the alden thread . Those poor guys got problems . Not only is the stuff outrageously priced .Its hard to find . Just when you realize you cant live without that pair of color4 captoe boots w/commando soles you find they'r all sold out and the manufacturer dosen't when if ever they will ever be made again . This is no way to live . You just stay away from that stuff you be a lot happier and certainly a lot wealthier . Dont say you wern't warned

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

Wisdom (Click to show)

The argument is a very useful tool to process differing views, present facts ,hopefully come to agreement and thereby gain knowledge . When insults are introduced because of the infantile need to be " right " ignorance becomes the only possible end result

 

post #20369 of 49535

Save $100 OFF on NEW Cordovan Dundees:

 

Allen Edmonds NEW Cordovan Dundee Boots

in Dark Brown Genuine Shell Cordovan 3621

 

Value:  $595.00

Available today for:  $476, plus shipping

 

Sizes today is 9, 10, and 12

 

Go to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-Cordovan-Dundee-Boots-in-Dark-Brown-Genuine-Shell-Cordovan-3621-/160997197456?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item257c2e4690

post #20370 of 49535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylkim30 View Post

I think people really have to learn to chill out a little bit. It's like once every two days there's a new flame war on this thread. And it is always much ado about nothing.

 

The off-topic vendettas are clogging up this thread.

 

+1 ..Couldnt have said it better myself.  All of these petty retorts and goofy but veiled, psuedo-know-it-all attempts at advancing petty quarrels really have no place here. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread