or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1343

post #20131 of 49366

pair of brown patriots and a burgundy belt enroute.. the money goes so quick lol

post #20132 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon.  Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!!  My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes.  It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it.  It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish.  I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue.  Thoughts?











I liked them so much that I after I received the brown shell ones I ordered the burgundy shell as well. You need to hurry though as today is the last day of the sale you may never again be able to buy shell for $359. What with the shell shortage and all you may never have an opportunity to buy shell again at any price.

I'm really joking around but $359 is a great price for shell. My brown ones had a little color variance on the upper as well and I used Saphir renovateur and some Alden brown wax and they now look like liquid chocolate. Could not be happier with the purchase. I wore them without socks yesterday and they were extremely comfortable.
post #20133 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzack View Post

Trying to fill a hole in my shoe collection.  I currently have:

AE Parkway - Brown burnished calf
AE Fifth Ave - Walnut calf
AE Cortland - Black calf
AE Neumok - Snuff suede

Florsheim - Royal Imperial brown pebble grain calf (these are my Macneils I guess until I can afford the
 burgundy 
shell - then they go on Ebay)


I was leaning toward the McAllister's in merlot/burgundy.  I think that would be a pretty versatile shoe, but then again if I want Macneil's in the same color it might be unneeded.  What about bourbon?  Color wise it may not vary much from my Florsheim's, no?  


Sorry, lots of questions but I just want to consider as many angles as possible.

What about some chukka boots? Dundees are nice (especially in cordovan). Maybe a slip-on loafer style? What do you want them for? Casual or dress?
post #20134 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon.  Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!!  My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes.  It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it.  It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish.  I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue.  Thoughts?











Try with saphir renovateur to remove imperfection at upper. Probably its factory polish.
post #20135 of 49366

for those who think Saphir Renovateur is so good see (from the shoe care thread):

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't apply reno to the vamp of my shoes anymore. All of my older shoes that got Lexol treatments for years are still around. After I fed my newer shoes all Saphir and reno diets they are all cracking and in bad shape. I think reno should only be used on non-flex areas has a light cleaner and polish. Essentially it is good for traveling and such. It isn't a good conditioner, I actually think it is a better solvent and probably contributed heavily to my cracked shoes. Now, I Lexol the vamp, reno everywhere else and wax polish the toe and heel. Essentially bad experiences with long term reno use has got me off the cool-aid.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

The fact is, most Saphir products have questionable ingredients. Questionable by people who make shoes and work with leather. What do most of these people use? Lexol, and Bickmore. There is a reason for that, many of us, myself included ignored this, and I have been reaping the consequences.

Don't let the marketing hype fool you. Plus, there are a lot more people new to the shoe care game who have very little observations at this game. I have collected many and at this point I am dropping the kool-aid because of said experience. Than again do what you want.
 
 
post #20136 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

for those who think Saphir Renovateur is so good see (from the shoe care thread):

I like Reno, and have had only positive experiences with it.

Nick at BNelson Shoes uses various Saphir products, Reno included. He knows a thing or two about shoes. biggrin.gif
post #20137 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


What about some chukka boots? Dundees are nice (especially in cordovan). Maybe a slip-on loafer style? What do you want them for? Casual or dress?

Good questions and thank you for the feedback.  I do like the Dundees but have some Desert boots that I am waiting to wear out a bit more before I move into a nicer pair.  

 

These would be mostly for casual use in the SF definition business casual environment to be more specific.  I rarely wear a tie but do wear dress shirts, OCBD on Friday's.  Wool, linen, flannel pants.  I think McAllister's and Macneil's are more on that sort of casual side?

post #20138 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzack View Post

Good questions and thank you for the feedback.  I do like the Dundees but have some Desert boots that I am waiting to wear out a bit more before I move into a nicer pair.  

These would be mostly for casual use in the SF definition business casual environment to be more specific.  I rarely wear a tie but do wear dress shirts, OCBD on Friday's.  Wool, linen, flannel pants.  I think McAllister's and Macneil's are more on that sort of casual side?

A shell cordovan Dundee would work just fine for your intended uses. As would a shell cordovan Leeds. I would suggest going with one of those models in burgundy shell. nod[1].gif
post #20139 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

for those who think Saphir Renovateur is so good see (from the shoe care thread):



I haven't read the entire thread but both post you quoted were by one member. I know for a fact that B. Nelson (arguably the best shoe guy in the U.S.) uses Saphir. So does Stephen at Leffot as well as Ron Rider. I'd be interested in knowing "which" ingredients are questionable. Sounds like gibberish to me. I use Saphir Reno on all my shell shoes and I use Saphir wax polish on all my calfskin shoes. I've never had any issues and that is with 25+ pair of shoes.
post #20140 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


I haven't read the entire thread but both post you quoted were by one member. I know for a fact that B. Nelson (arguably the best shoe guy in the U.S.) uses Saphir. So does Stephen at Leffot as well as Ron Rider. I'd be interested in knowing "which" ingredients are questionable. Sounds like gibberish to me. I use Saphir Reno on all my shell shoes and I use Saphir wax polish on all my calfskin shoes. I've never had any issues and that is with 25+ pair of shoes.

i guess the question is do they use or sell Saphir because it really performs the best, or just because people request it so much?

 

i also don't really get the impression that Stephen at Leffot knows a whole bunch about caring for shoes as exemplified by his video here where he is using way too much polish and stuff on shell cordovan and does it every 2 weeks?:

 

 

post #20141 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


A shell cordovan Dundee would work just fine for your intended uses. As would a shell cordovan Leeds. I would suggest going with one of those models in burgundy shell. nod[1].gif

I guess the question would be, if I were to get Leeds what size?  I'm a 10D in the 5 last but a 10.5C in the 4.  I suppose a trip to the store would truly answer the question but off the top do you know how the 1 last fits?

 

Thanks!

post #20142 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

i guess the question is do they use or sell Saphir because it really performs the best, or just because people request it so much?

 

i also don't really get the impression that Stephen at Leffot knows a whole bunch about caring for shoes as exemplified by his video here where he is using way too much polish and stuff on shell cordovan and does it every 2 weeks?:

 

 

 

So, let me get this straight, your argument is based on one poster's anecdotal experience.  Yet, you are questioning whether we should listen to recognized experts due to your speculation that they just give the public what they want as opposed to doing what they believe is right?  tinfoil.gif

post #20143 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon.  Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!!  My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes.  It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it.  It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish.  I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue.  Thoughts?

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Congrats! It is hard to see like you said. As long as everything else on the shoes is fine I would be very tempted to keep them. My concern with finish on shell is when one shoe is shiny and the other dull, in the past I have always been able to get them to match with some work. I think with both of your shoes having the same issue in the same spot you have a great chance of making them come out OK. GOP posted about his shell PA that he got from the shoebank and they had mismatched finish so they sent them over to refinish. If all else fails then that is also and option however a $50 one.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

I haven't read the entire thread but both post you quoted were by one member. I know for a fact that B. Nelson (arguably the best shoe guy in the U.S.) uses Saphir. So does Stephen at Leffot as well as Ron Rider. I'd be interested in knowing "which" ingredients are questionable. Sounds like gibberish to me. I use Saphir Reno on all my shell shoes and I use Saphir wax polish on all my calfskin shoes. I've never had any issues and that is with 25+ pair of shoes.

Agreed. The whole thing with Patrick and DFW (I haven't bothered reading the links) started awhile back when Patrick was asking what is in VSC. The solvent thing came up then and damage, etc. There is no doubt that turpentine is in Venetian Shoe Cream you can certainly smell it. And I believe the ingredients that the turp come from is actually Venice turpentine which comes from the Western Larch tree. No one knows what is in VSC you can't even find it on a MSD. Yet Nick Horween recommends it for shell. Only a fool would say he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Reno is very similar to VSC in many regards.

 

And those 2 are talking about calf, not shell. DFW said that he is starting to use Bickmore Bick 4 more now and still experimenting with it. I have used it for years on my AE Wilbert's where I don't want to darken the stitching. And AE leather lotion is basically the same as Bickmore Bick 4 if not identical. But I still use Reno on shell and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Too much of ANY product isn't a good thing IMO.

 

post #20144 of 49366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Agreed. The whole thing with Patrick and DFW (I haven't bothered reading the links) started awhile back when Patrick was asking what is in VSC. The solvent thing came up then and damage, etc. There is no doubt that turpentine is in Venetian Shoe Cream you can certainly smell it. And I believe the ingredients that the turp come from is actually Venice turpentine which comes from the Western Larch tree. No one knows what is in VSC you can't even find it on a MSD. Yet Nick Horween recommends it for shell. Only a fool would say he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Reno is very similar to VSC in many regards.

And those 2 are talking about calf, not shell. DFW said that he is starting to use Bickmore Bick 4 more now and still experimenting with it. I have used it for years on my AE Wilbert's where I don't want to darken the stitching. And AE leather lotion is basically the same as Bickmore Bick 4 if not identical. But I still use Reno on shell and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Too much of ANY product isn't a good thing IMO.



I have some VSC as well and use it at times. I don't get as good a shine with it as I do with the reno. I bought the VSC on Nick Horween's recommendation and use it before I store my shoes for the season (like I just did with my boots). I'll also admit that most of the time I do't use anything on my shell shoes except a brush. Only when they are dirty or start getting scuffs will I break out the various products. For calf I mostly brush and then apply Saphir wax polish as needed.
post #20145 of 49366
Decided not to buy the chili Daltons, today I received an email from AE swat. The only question is walnut or cappacino? Thoughts gentlemen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread