or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1326

post #19876 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzack View Post

Question, I know AE makes shoes that Lands End sells, but does anyone know who makes the LE brand name shoes?  Specifically the Fulton loafer.  It's $149 on the website right now but they are running a 40% off sale.  $90 for a pair of loafers that appear good year welted might be too good to pass up - even more so if they are made by AE under the private label.  I did read that they may be made by Samello in Brazil whom I have never heard of.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

 

Thanks.

 

Save up and buy the AEs.

post #19877 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

AE doesn't use shanks for one, but if the crack wasn't mentioned in the ebay listing, I'd return them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugan View Post

My understanding is that they use a composite (Fiberglass?) shank, as opposed to a metal one, but they do use one. 

I'm not 100% on this, just what I was told. 

No shank on the 360 degree welted shoes, which the Kenilworths are. They show this in one of their factory videos - the 360 degree welt givse the shoe enough structure that it does not need a shank.
post #19878 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

They do not use shanks.  They used them on their 270 degree welted Executive line, due to the nature of the construction, but when they quit making those, the shank went with them.  They have never used shanks in their regular 360 degree welted shoes.  Some people spot the fiber heel tuck that is located in the heel area of the cork cavity.  This isn't a shank, it is there to provide a medium for the serrated nails to grip when they drive the nails in from the bottom up during heel base attachment.  Most other Goodyear-welted shoes nail their heels on from the inside down (going through the heel area of the insole).  That is one of the reasons that all other companies have 3/4 length heel cushioned sock-liners.  They have to cover up and cushion your heel against the nail heads.  This isn't necessary with AE due to the way they build their shoes. 

This is the problem I am having.. there are so many new posts each day now, that I miss when MoneyWellSpent answers a question before I've read his post! Excellent info, especially on the nails. I actually was wondering why some shoes have nails showing outside the heel and some don't.

And WTH has happened to this thread? I see 60+ new posts a day, and I assume there's a new controversy! But no, it's just people discussing shoes again. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #19879 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzack View Post

Question, I know AE makes shoes that Lands End sells, but does anyone know who makes the LE brand name shoes?  Specifically the Fulton loafer.  It's $149 on the website right now but they are running a 40% off sale.  $90 for a pair of loafers that appear good year welted might be too good to pass up - even more so if they are made by AE under the private label.  I did read that they may be made by Samello in Brazil whom I have never heard of.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

The LE branded shoes are made in Brazil, I think. It's been that way for years - Brazil has a history of good, albeit cheaper construction shoes. I don't know if this is still the case, but Payless Shoes used to source from Brazil, too. Definitely not AE. You can safely assume from the price which are the AE shoes.
post #19880 of 46413
Via Paul's most gracious offer I just ordered a walnut shell Dundee. Cold iron it's your fault loved yours
post #19881 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


For overall design of a LWB, I prefer the MacNeil to the Larchmont or Williams. For me it's not even close.

Sevenfold, I have sided with you. I ordered the MacNeil in Walnut Cordovan with the Reverse Double Redenbach sole in brown. I already own one pair of Williams... Thank everyone for the input.

post #19882 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

Sevenfold, I have sided with you. I ordered the MacNeil in Walnut Cordovan with the Reverse Double Redenbach sole in brown. I already own one pair of Williams... Thank everyone for the input.

I emailed Paul today about walnut cordovan, hope I get a call before it's gone. Crossing fingers.
post #19883 of 46413
GOP, can inquire what the bill was on the walnut shell?
post #19884 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzack View Post

Question, I know AE makes shoes that Lands End sells, but does anyone know who makes the LE brand name shoes?  Specifically the Fulton loafer.  It's $149 on the website right now but they are running a 40% off sale.  $90 for a pair of loafers that appear good year welted might be too good to pass up - even more so if they are made by AE under the private label.  I did read that they may be made by Samello in Brazil whom I have never heard of.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

Before I upgraded to AE Park Avenues, I owned a pair of LE 'Fulton Captoe Ofxfords' in black. I bought them around a year and a half ago when they were running a 40% off sale as they are now. For around 90 bucks, they were a pretty decent deal and the shoes served me well for several occasions. After acquiring my first two pairs of Allen Edmonds, however, the Lands' End shoes don't even compare. Don't buy the Fulton loafer expecting it to be on par with AE; they are absolutely NOT "made by AE under the private label." If you're okay with that, then $90 for the LE shoes isn't a bad deal. You'll probably be much happier in the long-run with Allen Edmonds, though. In hindsight, I wish I'd just passed on the Fulton Oxford and went straight for the Park Aves for my requisite pair of black captoes.
post #19885 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

Sevenfold, I have sided with you. I ordered the MacNeil in Walnut Cordovan with the Reverse Double Redenbach sole in brown. I already own one pair of Williams... Thank everyone for the input.

I saw pics of the walnut shell with sole in brown.  Not quite my cup of tea.  I'm just not feeling the brown sole.

 

 

 

post #19886 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmspawn View Post

A quick iphone pic of my custom Walnut Shell Macneil's.

469
 

I stumbled across this pic of some custom Walnut Shell MacNeils. I am so happy I decided on these, and after seeing this pic, I can't wait for them to come. Special thanks to Mr. Paul Grangaard for offering a deal for us SF members.

post #19887 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


The LE branded shoes are made in Brazil, I think. It's been that way for years - Brazil has a history of good, albeit cheaper construction shoes. I don't know if this is still the case, but Payless Shoes used to source from Brazil, too. Definitely not AE. You can safely assume from the price which are the AE shoes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post


Before I upgraded to AE Park Avenues, I owned a pair of LE 'Fulton Captoe Ofxfords' in black. I bought them around a year and a half ago when they were running a 40% off sale as they are now. For around 90 bucks, they were a pretty decent deal and the shoes served me well for several occasions. After acquiring my first two pairs of Allen Edmonds, however, the Lands' End shoes don't even compare. Don't buy the Fulton loafer expecting it to be on par with AE; they are absolutely NOT "made by AE under the private label." If you're okay with that, then $90 for the LE shoes isn't a bad deal. You'll probably be much happier in the long-run with Allen Edmonds, though. In hindsight, I wish I'd just passed on the Fulton Oxford and went straight for the Park Aves for my requisite pair of black captoes.

Thanks for the input.  I currently own 3 pair of AE dress shoes and 1 pair of AE boots.  I think you both make valid points.  You get what you pay for and it's hard to go backwards after purchasing quality shoes.  I know that if I want a pair of loafers that will last longer there is more value in spending a few extra dollars for something that will last a possible 3-5 years longer and can be resoled/recrafted.

post #19888 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

GOP, can inquire what the bill was on the walnut shell?

$595, and they waived the $125 custom fee. So not a bad deal. Not a cheap shoe, but if it is one you want, it is worth it.

post #19889 of 46413
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

$595, and they waived the $125 custom fee. So not a bad deal. Not a cheap shoe, but if it is one you want, it is worth it.
I'm hoping to get either te Dalton or bayfield in the walnut shell so imagine is may be slightly more but I wouldn't mind the bill one bit.
post #19890 of 46413
Is there much of a difference if at all between Alden s whiskey and AE walnut?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread