or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1299

post #19471 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


There is also no way to "eliminate" creases through any product. They can be minimized through proper sizing and shoe care (i.e. shoe trees, brushing, ect...) but once you bend your toe in a pair of shoes there is no going back. The one exception that i've found to this is with suede shoes.

These are Carmina suede austerity brogues that i've had for over a year and they show little to no creasing.

I must admit you have some great looking shoes.

 

By the way, when I called the recrafting department at AE about one of my old Sanfords - they did say when they recraft the upper calfskin - that the machine they use stretches the leather back to the original length out of the box - and that nearly (not all) of some creases become less apparent.

 

I guess I shall see.

post #19472 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

There is also no way to "eliminate" creases through any product. They can be minimized through proper sizing and shoe care (i.e. shoe trees, brushing, ect...) but once you bend your toe in a pair of shoes there is no going back. The one exception that i've found to this is with suede shoes.

These are Carmina suede austerity brogues that i've had for over a year and they show little to no creasing.

My experience is different. I've also seen examples/ posts and threads where deer boning has eliminated AND lessened creasing in shell and calfskin. I eliminated creases from a cherished pair of black calf skin goodyear welted double soled Santoni Griffith captoe bals 7 years ago. I soaked them inside and out with lexol and inserted an oversized solid wood shoe tree and froze them for a day. When I removed them from the freezer I had to use glycerin to remove the tree because neither me nor my cobbler could do it by other means without wrecking the shoe or tearing up the tree. Before the tree was removed, the creasing was non existent and it remained that way after I removed the tree until I started wearing them again. The leather was so supple and nourished that they creased much less afterwards.
post #19473 of 48601

Hey all, new to the AE forum.  I would like to order a pair of Dundee's but would like to get feedback from everybody regarding fit.

 

I have a few pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last in size 11D.  I would say the fit of the Barrie in 11D is great with my only nit pick being it could be a "touch" wider below the pinky toe.

 

With the above being said, which size would you recommend I order for the Dundee (1 Last) ?  And Park Avenue (5 Last)?

 

I would like to get the fit right on the Dundees it seems like they are made to order.

 

Thanks!

post #19474 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

My experience is different. I've also seen examples/ posts and threads where deer boning has eliminated AND lessened creasing in shell and calfskin. I eliminated creases from a cherished pair of black calf skin goodyear welted double soled Santoni Griffith captoe bals 7 years ago. I soaked them inside and out with lexol and inserted an oversized solid wood shoe tree and froze them for a day. When I removed them from the freezer I had to use glycerin to remove the tree because neither me nor my cobbler could do it by other means without wrecking the shoe or tearing up the tree. Before the tree was removed, the creasing was non existent and it remained that way after I removed the tree until I started wearing them again. The leather was so supple and nourished that they creased much less afterwards.

The deerbone is good at removing scratches and polishing shell but i've never seen it remove creases. I have about 14 pair of shell cordovan shoes and they all crease. It's a fact of life. I like the creases as this is what gives the shell it's character. I can see how soft calfskin shoes would show minimal creasing. This is the same with the suede shoes posted above.
post #19475 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post

Hey all, new to the AE forum.  I would like to order a pair of Dundee's but would like to get feedback from everybody regarding fit.

I have a few pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last in size 11D.  I would say the fit of the Barrie in 11D is great with my only nit pick being it could be a "touch" wider below the pinky toe.

With the above being said, which size would you recommend I order for the Dundee (1 Last) ?  And Park Avenue (5 Last)?

I would like to get the fit right on the Dundees it seems like they are made to order.

Thanks!

I have several Alden Barrie lasted shoes and almost all of them are a 9D. This fits my foot good and if anything they are a little on the tight side. For the Dundees I got a 9.5D and the fit between the AE and Alden is pretty much spot on. The 1 last has a very similar feel to the Barrie last. I'm not going to be able to comment on the 5 last and i've yet to try on a pair that fit just right.
post #19476 of 48601

best way to prevent creases in either shell cordovan or calf shoes is to never wear them. they will look perfect. 

post #19477 of 48601

Can some people help me decide what to get? I own a black PA, dark brown Meermin balmoral semi-brogue, and brown Meermin double monk. I like all 3. I am looking to get a blucher (probably wingtip) and later on in the year a boot (most likely the Dalton). After that, I may get 1 pair of burgundy shoes. And that's it. I don't plan on buying more shoes for years. I started lurking SF in 2011 and I've only purchased those 3 shoes so far so trust me when I say I am patient and not trigger-happy with my wallet. I just want to have my bases covered at an affordable cost.

 

I work in a business casual environment and would like, in order of importance, for my shoes to pair with: 1. slacks/wool pants 2. jeans 3. suits 4. chinos. For my next shoe I was thinking of getting the Walnut Player (Shoebank has 1 left in my size as of today). I only want 1 walnut shoe. So considering that I plan on getting the Dalton in the future, would that be a better choice for my walnut shoe? I just don't see walnut as being very versatile but it would help to have a tan shoe in my wardrobe. I know the walnut Strand is considered one of the best AE shoes but I don't want to get another balmoral.

post #19478 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post

Can some people help me decide what to get? I own a black PA, dark brown Meermin balmoral semi-brogue, and brown Meermin double monk. I like all 3. I am looking to get a blucher (probably wingtip) and later on in the year a boot (most likely the Dalton). After that, I may get 1 pair of burgundy shoes. And that's it. I don't plan on buying more shoes for years. I started lurking SF in 2011 and I've only purchased those 3 shoes so far so trust me when I say I am patient and not trigger-happy with my wallet. I just want to have my bases covered at an affordable cost.

 

I work in a business casual environment and would like, in order of importance, for my shoes to pair with: 1. slacks/wool pants 2. jeans 3. suits 4. chinos. For my next shoe I was thinking of getting the Walnut Player (Shoebank has 1 left in my size as of today). I only want 1 walnut shoe. So considering that I plan on getting the Dalton in the future, would that be a better choice for my walnut shoe? I just don't see walnut as being very versatile but it would help to have a tan shoe in my wardrobe. I know the walnut Strand is considered one of the best AE shoes but I don't want to get another balmoral.

I think the walnut Player is nice. I assume, since they are on clearance, that you are getting a discount? Its hard to beat them for $225 or whatever they are going for. As for a merlot shoe, I recommend the shell Bradley. If you want the Daltons, now might be the time to pick them up in Chili ($299 in this color only). They also look good in dark brown or #8 shell.

post #19479 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post


As a side note, I am disappointed to hear that the shell cordovan "shortage" is real... as I must now change the expected timing of some upcoming purchases.
 

 

Does anyone know the reason for the shortage?

post #19480 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

Maiden voyage - walnut strands

I like your shoes and the color coordination itsmejson. Hope you have a safe voyage today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post

Hey all, new to the AE forum.  I would like to order a pair of Dundee's but would like to get feedback from everybody regarding fit.

 

I have a few pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last in size 11D.  I would say the fit of the Barrie in 11D is great with my only nit pick being it could be a "touch" wider below the pinky toe.

 

With the above being said, which size would you recommend I order for the Dundee (1 Last) ?  And Park Avenue (5 Last)?

 

I would like to get the fit right on the Dundees it seems like they are made to order.

 

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

I have several Alden Barrie lasted shoes and almost all of them are a 9D. This fits my foot good and if anything they are a little on the tight side. For the Dundees I got a 9.5D and the fit between the AE and Alden is pretty much spot on. The 1 last has a very similar feel to the Barrie last. I'm not going to be able to comment on the 5 last and i've yet to try on a pair that fit just right.

I agree with Pastor to me the Barrie and 1 last are similar with a half size difference making them equal. I am a 9.5D in the Barrie and 10D for the Dundee's. I have a bit of heel slip in the Barrie with a little heel lift, the #1 last fits me just a little bit better. I am also a 10D in the #5 and feel that last fits me better than any last of any maker. So I think a 11.5D in the Dundee should fit you the same as your Barrie lasted shoes in 11D. But remember that feet vary by a lot so it is hard to say that what works for one person will always work for someone else. Good luck, I think you will like the Dundee I certainly do, great choice.

post #19481 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


I just ordered a pair of brown shell Townleys sat from the Jefferson Store in Ohio. They are having a 20% off sale right now so the price was around $250.00

That's an even more insane deal.  I thought they were sold out, but I'm happy for the sake of others that there are still (?) some available.

post #19482 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post

Hey all, new to the AE forum.  I would like to order a pair of Dundee's but would like to get feedback from everybody regarding fit.

I have a few pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last in size 11D.  I would say the fit of the Barrie in 11D is great with my only nit pick being it could be a "touch" wider below the pinky toe.

With the above being said, which size would you recommend I order for the Dundee (1 Last) ?  And Park Avenue (5 Last)?

I would like to get the fit right on the Dundees it seems like they are made to order.

Thanks!

I own 2 pairs of Aldens in Barrie last (8.5D) and 4 pairs of AE in the 1 last (9D), including the Dundee. I found the Dundee to be roomier than the other 1 lasted shoes I own and feel more like my Indy boots (Truebalance last 8.5D). It's not so roomy that I would size down on the Dundee, but it is clearly roomier than the other 1 lasted shoes I have (Bradley, Hamptons, Wilbert). The 1 lasted shoes feel very slightly roomier than my Barrie lasted shoes, which fits my feet pretty closely without being tight anywhere. So, I think you should probably be safe with Dundees in size 11.5D since you indicated that you could use a little bit more room in your 11D Barrie lasted shoes.
post #19483 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

I did not know that.

 

I am still with calfskin shoes, and perhaps what I heard about eliminating creases through the Saphire products had more to do with the calfskin leather.

 

Creasing is a natural and inevitable consequence of walking.  I know of no product that can eliminate it in either calf or shell.

post #19484 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post


My experience is different. I've also seen examples/ posts and threads where deer boning has eliminated AND lessened creasing in shell and calfskin. I eliminated creases from a cherished pair of black calf skin goodyear welted double soled Santoni Griffith captoe bals 7 years ago. I soaked them inside and out with lexol and inserted an oversized solid wood shoe tree and froze them for a day. When I removed them from the freezer I had to use glycerin to remove the tree because neither me nor my cobbler could do it by other means without wrecking the shoe or tearing up the tree. Before the tree was removed, the creasing was non existent and it remained that way after I removed the tree until I started wearing them again. The leather was so supple and nourished that they creased much less afterwards.

 

Using a Deer Bone Video

 

(Also, notice the Edge Dressing on the edge and the welt is applied before the upper is polished.  Some forum members have mentioned doing the Edge polish last instead of first, and they were worried about over applying the edge polish onto the upper.)

 

Saphir Products are also used.

 

The Deer Bone is used about 55 seconds into the following video:

 

 

(Creases are nearly non-existent) 

post #19485 of 48601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I just took some time this morning in my hotel to read through the last few days' worth of posts. I am exceedingly impressed with the fact that we have Paul posting here and in the content of his posts. I suppose I should expect nothing less. Thank you for your time, participation and candor on this public forum, Paul. (Sizing advice from the CEO - how cool is that?)

As a side note, I am disappointed to hear that the shell cordovan "shortage" is real... as I must now change the expected timing of some upcoming purchases.

Now, off to my meetings while ruminating on which shell shoes to hurry up and order. I wish everyone a productive day.

I'm a little bummed about the shell shortage as well. It may have caused me to go a little overboard on the purchases this month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread