Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:37am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:43pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1282
Styleforum Top Picks
I just purchased snuff suede players and was looking for a spray to use. Thx for suggesting the above product. I was almost going to order a saphir repelant spray. How often do you apply it?
You should use waterproof spray on suede shoes. I don't own any AE suede shoes but I use waterproof spray on my Alden and Carmina suede shoes regularly. The spray doesn't change the feel of the suede at all in my experience.
I just purchased a pair of Townley's in Brown Shell from the Jefferson store. Total price shipped was $258. Looking forward to getting them here next week. Im also thinking og getting the patriot loafers in Brown Shell. I've been wanting the Alden LHS version forever but you can't find it in Cigar or Ravello and even I could they would be $700+ while the patriots in shell are around $360. Anyone know how these fit?
I found my 9D shell Patriots to fit about the same as my 8.5D pair of Brooks Brothers/Alden shell LHS. The Patriots started out a bit tighter across the instep, but after a few wears it now feels pretty close to the LHS.
My current AE shoes and RL by AE - Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Strands, Players, Fift St
Mora, Fift Ave, Grayson
Singleton , Saunders
Slaton Black, Slaton Burnished tan, Sanderson
I see many gentlemen are stripping down their cordovan shoes and trying to achieve a high shine from the leather. I always took cordovan leather to be used on more casually styled shoes. Wouldn't the high shine be going against the grain? I tend just to keep my pairs clean with Venetian cream and let them take on a natural patina.
Obviously, it comes down to personal preferece. AE tends to really coat theirs with a lot of cream at the factory, and this heavy cream finish masks the shell in many cases. Once this is gone, it is easy to keep a nice shine with brushing.
Thanks! I have 4 pair in calf I think - though I am actively looking for replacements of 2 of them, the black tassel loafers shown, and my black calf Park Aves. I also have walnut grain Macneils and bourbon McAllisters.
Yes, the sport coat is from the same tailor - I have been happy with the suit, so I decided to get a couple coats, as most of my business meetings are done in a sport coat / blazer and slacks as opposed to a suit. I'll post up the other sport coat when I next wear it. The only problem is that these are eating into my shell cordovan budget!
jvc44 thanks for the PSA on the Townley's, they are great and at $300 for shell an unbelievable deal. However seeing how I suffer from AEAD - Allen Edmonds Acquisition Disorder it may cost me more like $1,000 when it is all done, provided things go well.
And I had the same thought as well..... With CXL Bayfield:
About a year ago someone posted a picture of a burgundy shell Bayfield that was custom made (top):
And doing some digging found a post on AAAC from Dec 2009 where the CEO of AE said: "We haven't planned to bring the Bayfield back in shell cordovan at this point." So it sounds like at one time the Bayfield was actually available in shell.
Black calf Bayfields fit me pretty well, slightly snug at the ball of the foot. My CXL Bayfields are tighter yet, and I can not wear heavier socks with them. Even with normal socks they are pretty snug across the ball of the foot. IF the Bayfield in shell was an option today I'd want to make sure they aren't too tight to wear with heavier wool socks. Shell can be and usually is a bit looser fitting than calf, but not always. I don't want to go up in size or width so much that I get heel slip. I am a 10D in the Bayfield and most of my shoes and boots. When I have tried a 10.5 in other footwear they are too long. Going to an E usually means heel slip. Not sure that would happen with a shell version of the Bayfield though because it is so sung to start with. Any thoughts on which size would be best?
As you know, I sized up in width for my CXL Bayfields, from 12D to 12E and am happy with the results after my first winter in them. If shell Bayfields were available, I would do the same. However, I will note that this is on my foot, which is right on the border between D and E width anyway. Good luck! Are you considering burgundy shell or brown shell Bayfields?
The question I've been asking for a year now... they are elusive, unless you are the right size and find an old pair bouncing around the AE retail shelves somewhere.
Great collection, thanks for sharing!
I have received my Bourbon McAllisers, Tap Sole today from the Anniversary sale. Nice shoes.
In back, you can see a 15 year old Fairhaven in Cognac (I think). The McAllisters fit very close, both are 11E. The Fairhavens are cracking, which is probably a result of my abuse and lack of caring for them over the years. Use your AE Conditioner and Cleaner! That stuff does wonders. I love how the colour aged and burnished over time.
Quick question on fit for balmorals.
Are the uppers supposed to be laced completely shut so the edges are together? My insteps are way too prominent for this to happen with any semblance of comfort.
I have seen photos of both, for example:
Clearly the first photo's fit looks a lot clearner, just wondering if the second photo's fit is a big no-no.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 46 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › The Official BLUE BLUE JAPAN thread - all things indigo, many... 2 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations? 3 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 5 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...