or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1279

post #19171 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

diggin that shade of brown on those dundees.. best price typically to secure a pair? do they ever come up on a seconds list?

sorry for the possibly redundant question, I dont venture into the AE thread often

thanks in advance!

Those particular Dundees are shell cordovan. Likely never on sale, although seconds pop up once in a while.
post #19172 of 52491

PSA: Allen Edmonds is opening a new retail store in St. Louis, MO. For those of you familiar with StL, it will be located in Plaza Frontenac: upper level near Neiman Marcus.

post #19173 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


Those particular Dundees are shell cordovan. Likely never on sale, although seconds pop up once in a while.

yea I figured as such. I have a pair of cigar chukkas from alden that have a more olive tone. these are a shade more to my liking

post #19174 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Wait, you sized up in the McTavish? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I went an entire half size down.

Same length - 11.5D Strand, 11.5E McTavish. 12D Dalton
post #19175 of 52491
Does anyone have both the Kenilworth and the Park avenues? I have the Kenilworth in size 7.5 and I read that they fit bigger than most AE's.. I'm assuming I'd be a 8 in Park avenues?
post #19176 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

Does anyone have both the Kenilworth and the Park avenues? I have the Kenilworth in size 7.5 and I read that they fit bigger than most AE's.. I'm assuming I'd be a 8 in Park avenues?

I am a 9.5 D in the PAs and a 9 D in the Kenilworths. It's strange because they're on the same last. However, I've heard bluchers/derbys can be like that versus oxfords/balmorals.
post #19177 of 52491
I tried to do a search but got conflicting information. I bought the "Spray Waterproofer" for use in leather, suede, or fabric, and "silicone-free". I bought some Sedonas and it was recommended. Now though I hear that such waterproofing spray is unnecessary and could ruin the leather.

Is the Allen Edmonds "Spray Waterproofer" a good idea? For only suede, or for calfskin?

What'll happen if I am caught in the rain with leather or suede shoes? Permanent water stains?
post #19178 of 52491
So I did what members suggested by buying the burgundy Dalton instead of the chocolate brown one - despite the $300 difference.

This is my first purchase of shell cordovan and AE factory seconds. I'm unsure whether or not the defects shown in the images below are serious enough to return the burgundy pair. A) Is the shaft of the boot too battered-looking? B) Is it normal for black marks to be on the shaft? C) How bad are the horizontal white creases on the right side of each boot, midway down the shaft?

I'd especially appreciate any comments from people who returned factory seconds before, and what their reasons were.










post #19179 of 52491
Here is a daytime comparison shot indoors of the Daltons in walnut calf and chocolate brown calf.




post #19180 of 52491
Finally here is a comparison of the walnut calf Dalton and the burgundy shell version. I saw some posters have both the walnut calf and chocolate calf, or burgundy shell and walnut shell, but not my combination.

I've tried to show with flash and without, and with various backgrounds to best show them. In my hunt for this boot, I spent a few hours trying to see whether the chocolate brown and burgundy were different enough. AE burgundy is more brownish and less shiny than the Alden #8 or AE Merlot.












post #19181 of 52491

Are those burgundy shell Dalton's firsts or seconds? If they are firsts, I would not accept that. If they're seconds and they creases don't show any cracks or tears into the leather, then it should be fine. I'm sure you could brush most of them out.

post #19182 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

Are those burgundy shell Dalton's firsts or seconds? If they are firsts, I would not accept that. If they're seconds and they creases don't show any cracks or tears into the leather, then it should be fine. I'm sure you could brush most of them out.

They're seconds. No cracks or tears in the leather. Glad to know they can be reduced by brushing. I'm glad the crease will covered by the pant bottom when wearing.
post #19183 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by masernaut View Post

Are those burgundy shell Dalton's firsts or seconds? If they are firsts, I would not accept that. If they're seconds and they creases don't show any cracks or tears into the leather, then it should be fine. I'm sure you could brush most of them out.

This.
post #19184 of 52491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd06 View Post

So I did what members suggested by buying the burgundy Dalton instead of the chocolate brown one - despite the $300 difference.

This is my first purchase of shell cordovan and AE factory seconds. I'm unsure whether or not the defects shown in the images below are serious enough to return the burgundy pair. A) Is the shaft of the boot too battered-looking? B) Is it normal for black marks to be on the shaft? C) How bad are the horizontal white creases on the right side of each boot, midway down the shaft?

I'd especially appreciate any comments from people who returned factory seconds before, and what their reasons were.










A) There is some battering to the shaft, but I think after some wearing you will begin to see a different structure to the shaft. This wouldn't be a concern to me since these are seconds.

B) The black marks are a bit bothersome, but they will not be seen because your pant will cover it. You may want to try some reno mat to see if you can remove it. It may come off, it may not. Either way it won't be seen because of your pant, and I am sure the black marks is why this was marked as a second.

C) The creases wouldn't worry me much. I would try to smooth them out with a deer bone treatment. 

 

If these were firsts, I would send them back. As long as they fit correctly, I would keep these as seconds. You may be able to clean these up with some proper care. Either way, you have a beautiful boot that will last you a lifetime.

post #19185 of 52491
I spent some time applying edge dressing and Sapphire Reno to a few of my shell shoes last night.

AE Dalton in Walnut Shell - AE Dundee in Cappuccino Shell - Alden LWB in Cigar Shell

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread