or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1278

post #19156 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post


I would return. The splits will likely spread.

 

That's what I'm leaning towards.  I'll spin the wheel again and have them ship out another pair.

post #19157 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCer View Post

I have some fit issues with Daltons too.  I wear 11.5D Strands which fit absolutely like gloves.  McTavish's just squeezed the crap out of my feet, so had to exchange for 11.5E, and for the most part they are very good - slight bit of heel slip in the natural tan pair, but the grey ones I got on the screaming sale price I've worn more, so with the sole flexing now, the heel slip is gone. Now that our weather up here in the great white north is warming up, I'll get the non-butyl sole tan ones out, and with some more wear, hopefully the heel slip will disappear on those too.  Back to the Daltons...12D in those.  Fit length wise seems perfect, and width across the ball of my foot is a smidge tight.  However I have the dreaded HEEL SLIP too!  Again, I've only worn them maybe 6 times, so when the heavy sole softens up and starts bending more, I'm hoping the heel slip goes away too.  When the sole doesn't bend, in order for a normal walking stride, I figure the heel has to lift...make sense?  I almost have to choke my foot circulation off with tight lacing to eliminate any heel slip right now...Anyway, the Daltons definitely had to be 12's..11.5D's in Strands, 11.5E's in McTavish's and 12D in Dalton.  Not sure if that helps any!?

Wait, you sized up in the McTavish? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I went an entire half size down.

post #19158 of 53412
When I called AE to ask about sizing for Dalton's they told me to size up 1/2. Like you guys, I wear 11.5d in 5 last (Jeffersons) so I have a 12d pair in chocolate coming whenever they are shipped.
post #19159 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

They are good looking shoes.  Hope you enjoy them!

I hope so :)

 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a matching belt to wear with the snuff players?

post #19160 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

I hope so :)

 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a matching belt to wear with the snuff players?

 

AE has a matching belt: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF97642_1_40000000001_-1.  I picked one up from 6pm.com for a bit less than the retail price on AE's website.  It is a pretty good belt--quite substantial in construction.

post #19161 of 53412
I was in the Phoenx A&E store yesterday and was pleased to discover that they have a small quantity of the Boston single monk in brown calf. They have limited sizes and I know the Boston wasn't a very widely distributed shoe so if someone is interested you might want to move on it. Tom Kroepel, the manager there sent me an email with sizes and amount of burnishing on the shoes. Here's what they have:


2 pairs of 8 D: dovetail heels with light burnishing on the toe
 
1 pair of 8 ½ D: dovetail heel with a burnished toe
 
2 pairs of 9 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing on the toe
 
1 pair of 9 ½ D: rubber toplift with no burnishing
 
2 pairs of 10 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe
 
1 pair of 10 1/2 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing
 
1 pair of 11 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe

Great looking shoe and if I wasn't already monk heavy I'd probably pick up a pair.
post #19162 of 53412

those chilli daltons look tempting.  does chilli, vary enough from walnut to warrant owning both?

post #19163 of 53412

Black calf and brown grain Broadstreets, possibly amongst the least spectacular of all Spectators.....

post #19164 of 53412

 Hi

 

First time poster!  First I wanted to say thanks for all the helpful information contained in the 1278 pages.  Its been very helpful in care and sizing of my new shoe hobby or addiction depending how you look at it.

 

How I got here?  I am in my mid 40's and for some reason my feet have grown about a half size.  The doctor says my arches haven't fallen but no reason for the now larger feet.  I had a pretty nice selection of older Johnston and Murphy Signature shoes and some chukkas.  They no longer fit and I had to buy new shoes.  The first pair of nice shoes I bought were some Wolverine 1000 mile Courtlands - beautiful leather on these.  I found the style forum Wolverine page and read and read.  Then I found some reference to Allen Edmonds and started reading.  I liked the concept of American made and shoes that I could get recreafted so I bought a few - The Elgin great looking shoe.  The leather sole is hard to get used to since i hadn't really worn leather soles in a long time.  I needed some new dress shoes and bought the Bradley, super comfortable right out of the box.  I bought the Katmai because I liked the look, some tread and would probably last forever.

 

Not sure my picture (crappy Blackberry shot) will post as I am new, but will give it a try.  Here's my up and coming collection.  Now what's next :)  Again thanks and look forward to joining the conversations.

 

post #19165 of 53412

So the question was, "is the AE brown shell different from the dark brown shell?"  I know because I asked the question.  I HAVE THE ANSWER!  The answer is yes.  The brown is more olive and the dark brown is a stronger brown with a hint of red (I think).  The strands are brown and the dundees are dark brown.

 

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

post #19166 of 53412

New dark brown shell Dundees.  Now all I'm missing is cappuccino and I'll have the whole AE shell rainbow.  Cappuccino should be here in a few weeks!

 

 

AppleMark

post #19167 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidist View Post




I took delivery this afternoon of a pair of black shell cordovan Strands seconds. There was a bunch of white junk layered upon around the shoes' collars, but it all came off with some brushing.  The only defect I can find is the pictured splits in one of the shoe's uppers.  How serious of a problem is this?  It isn't particularly noticeable when the shoes are on, but I haven't owned as shell with this problem.  Should I return them?  I assume there is no way to fix the splits, which I can accept, but I don't know if this is a sign of other likely future problems.

Return - for sure.
post #19168 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

New dark brown shell Dundees.  Now all I'm missing is cappuccino and I'll have the whole AE shell rainbow.  Cappuccino should be here in a few weeks!


AppleMark

Beautiful
post #19169 of 53412
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

So the question was, "is the AE brown shell different from the dark brown shell?"  I know because I asked the question.  I HAVE THE ANSWER!  The answer is yes.  The brown is more olive and the dark brown is a stronger brown with a hint of red (I think).  The strands are brown and the dundees are dark brown.

 

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

New dark brown shell Dundees.  Now all I'm missing is cappuccino and I'll have the whole AE shell rainbow.  Cappuccino should be here in a few weeks!

 

 

AppleMark

 

 

Thank you very much, for both of these pics.  For the comparative pics, you say that there is more of an olive tint to the brown shell (strands), BUT could it also be said that this even varies from shoe to shoe?...I ask because a gentlemen had posted pics of a Brown Shell Strand a few pages back, and while they were a striking color of brown, they had notably more red tint in them than the olive tone to which you refer.  So it seems to me, that there could possibly be some variation from shoe to shoe, even within the same colors of shell.  Nevertheless, thanks again for the pics.


Edited by harlequin782 - 4/19/13 at 8:55pm
post #19170 of 53412

diggin that shade of brown on those dundees.. best price typically to secure a pair? do they ever come up on a seconds list?

 

sorry for the possibly redundant question, I dont venture into the AE thread often

 

thanks in advance!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread