or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1255

post #18811 of 46851

Those white players are awesome!  when were they available?

post #18812 of 46851
I've been stewin' on those players. I already have a cream pair I got in Italy, but those look so nice! I've already bought 4 pair of shoes this year- my wife's gonna start packing up if I get another pair of players!
post #18813 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynch View Post

I currently have two pairs of #5 last shoes, McAllister and 5th Ave, in 9.5E and I am wondering what size I should get in the #1 last.  I'm looking at getting a pair of the Rapid City on the current sale.  I don't have a store anywhere near me so I don't really have a way to try anything on.  

 

My guess is to go with 10D.  Does that sound about right?  

 

Thanks for the help.

Take a chance on the 9.5Es. I am a 9.5D on 5lasts and I wear the same on the 1 last shoes. 

post #18814 of 46851

Do you guys bother with Sole Savers or Topy sole pads with your new shoes?

post #18815 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgrim View Post

Do you guys bother with Sole Savers or Topy sole pads with your new shoes?
I think they are the the cheapest and easiest way to preserve your good shoes . I also think the ones made by vibram are the best
post #18816 of 46851

After much hemming and hawing I decided to order Park Avenues in black, Mcallisters in Walnut, and Strands in Walnut (with a 13.5, 4E foot, I know it's going to take a lot of playing around to find the right fit). With backordered Bruces for stomping around. I've been on a college budget and have relied on Clarks and other random brands before this. Thanks for the excellent discussion which helped guide my decision!

post #18817 of 46851

I have the McAllisters in Walnut and they are my favorite shoes.  Both in comfort and looks.  You'll love them.

post #18818 of 46851
So I am searching the Bay last week for a deal on some AEs and I come across some Aberdeens in 10B with one low bid. I try to do some searches on the fit/size on a number 2 last and figure I'll just give them a try with a low bid. If I win I figure I can always sell them again if they don't fit. Lo and behold, I win them with a bid of $61.00 and $9.99 for shipping. The have supposedly been worn once and come without trees or a box, what a steal. I wear a 10C in the 5 last and these are a 10B. I have heard that the rough collections don't fit like other shoes on the same last due to leather thickness... Anyone want to chime in on whether they might fit? I have worn a 10B in other shoes but usually wear a 10.5. Here's a pic:

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #18819 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer View Post

So I am searching the Bay last week for a deal on some AEs and I come across some Aberdeens in 10B with one low bid. I try to do some searches on the fit/size on a number 2 last and figure I'll just give them a try with a low bid. If I win I figure I can always sell them again if they don't fit. Lo and behold, I win them with a bid of $61.00 and $9.99 for shipping. The have supposedly been worn once and come without trees or a box, what a steal. I wear a 10C in the 5 last and these are a 10B. I have heard that the rough collections don't fit like other shoes on the same last due to leather thickness... Anyone want to chime in on whether they might fit? I have worn a 10B in other shoes but usually wear a 10.5. Here's a pic:

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

This is going to be a tough one to judge. The 2 last is particularly narrow; then you are going B width on top of that, making it super narrow. But the 5 last you started with is not wide, and you go C in that. Plus, it's the rough leather, which might be a little wider. Maybe they all cancel each other out. It'll be close, though.
post #18820 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynch View Post

I currently have two pairs of #5 last shoes, McAllister and 5th Ave, in 9.5E and I am wondering what size I should get in the #1 last.  I'm looking at getting a pair of the Rapid City on the current sale.  I don't have a store anywhere near me so I don't really have a way to try anything on.  

My guess is to go with 10D.  Does that sound about right?  

Thanks for the help.

yes!
post #18821 of 46851

Quote:

Originally Posted by clynch View Post

I currently have two pairs of #5 last shoes, McAllister and 5th Ave, in 9.5E and I am wondering what size I should get in the #1 last.  I'm looking at getting a pair of the Rapid City on the current sale.  I don't have a store anywhere near me so I don't really have a way to try anything on.  

 

My guess is to go with 10D.  Does that sound about right?  

 

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Take a chance on the 9.5Es. I am a 9.5D on 5lasts and I wear the same on the 1 last shoes. 

 

That might work.  But a 10D might also work.  I have the Strands (#5) in 7.5D and a few pairs of Daltons (#1) in 8D.  The Daltons fit perfectly but the Strands are a bit snug.  A 7.5E in the Strands might have been better.  If 9.5E Rapid City's aren't easily available in the sale, you could try a 10D.  Good luck.

post #18822 of 46851

Everyone thinks Allen Edmonds shoes are made in the USA and it's true they are able to brand them as such, however I just learned that they stitch the uppers in the Dominican Republic and then ship them to the USA to final assemble the shoes...:

 

 

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/04/30/story1.html?page=all

and

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/are-all-allen-edmonds-uppers-made-in-the-dominican-republic/0_100#post_4903126

post #18823 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

But hey, life seems much simpler when the tunnel vision is on.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

An example of tunnel vision: a sweeping declaration that owning a par burgundy shell eliminates any call for black casual shoes.

 

Did someone say 'tunnel vision'?

 

I can help with that  stirpot.gif

post #18824 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtaylor View Post

Those white players are awesome!  when were they available?

 

Thanks. AE discontinued the Players a few months back I think. You can still find some on eBay and AE's outlet stores. I like the new Spaggia in white suede too. It's a balmoral.

 

CH

post #18825 of 46851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

Everyone thinks Allen Edmonds shoes are made in the USA and it's true they are able to brand them as such, however I just learned that they stitch the uppers in the Dominican Republic and then ship them to the USA to final assemble the shoes...:


http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/04/30/story1.html?page=all
and
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/are-all-allen-edmonds-uppers-made-in-the-dominican-republic/0_100#post_4903126

Okay, so I see this pop up from time to time, and I'm kind of curious if I'm misreading them. To me, this simply is talking about their handsewns, as it says in the article. Those handsewns are clearly marked as made in the Dominican Republic. Like, not even close to hidden, it's marked on the shoe, it's clear on the website. The article also mentions that the DR products are then shipped to Maine to be handsewn in Lewiston, which isn't clearly marked on the shoe. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me. If they wanted to be scamming us, they'd say "Handsewn in Maine, put together in the USA" but AE doesn't. They say Made in DR.

Now, everyone seems to read this as "My McAllisters might secretly be made in the DR?" Perhaps the CEO can clarify this, or someone with actual knowledge of this (and not just second-hand knowledge). But everytime I see this pop up, it still reads to me as "no, my McAllisters are made in Wisconsin, just like the label says."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread