or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1230

post #18436 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

Originally Posted by Variatio View Post

Just came across this AE shoes on ebay, can anyone tell what model it is? http://www.ebay.de/itm/360628099350


That looks like Players in suede. Special makeup.

That is definitely not the Players. Like msulinski said, it looks like the Macneil.

post #18437 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminroy View Post

Anyone have the McAllister in Burnished Merlot? I'm thinking they might be the next piece to add to my collection, which currently includes the walnut Strand and the Players Shoe in navy suede.

 

Background info: I'm self-employed, work in the entertainment industry (lighting and media production) so I never have to wear a suit, or even dress particularly nice (though I am making a lot more of an effort.) I'm in the early stages of building my wardrobe, and trying to work in as much versatility as possible. I wear the Strand a lot, frequently two days in a row, so I'd like to have another shoe to rotate in there.

I have the McAllister in the burnished merlot/burgundy. It is a very versatile shoe. For the environment you are working, this would work to dress up blue jeans or a pair of chinos. Also, it works great with navy and various grays. I think this was one my 3rd or 4th pair of AEs when I started building my collection. Now I have 16 pairs. I still wear the burnished merlot McAllisters in my regular rotation. They are a must have for you.

700

Here are mine from the wild in an old pic.


Edited by GOP Shoe Guy - 4/6/13 at 5:23am
post #18438 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

With AE recommending that you go to an 11.5E it makes it difficult as I would have said the same thing as you thought in your first post, that an 11.5D should work.

 

I am wearing my brown shell Patriots this morning although with so much snow on the ground yet I will switch to boots once I leave the house. They are the first loafer I have ever found that fit me, I have a very narrow heel but these work for me. I also have a fairly low volume foot and have black superfeet inserts in them. With that combination they fit just about perfectly, for my foot that is. Without the inserts they still work well though. Heel slip in a loafer can and usually is a deal breaker so I think much like you in that I would be concerned that the 11.5E heel might be too large. However the heel is fairly narrow on the Patriot so you might get away with it. Going up in width usually causes me much more heel slip problems than going up a half size in length but same width IME so the 11.5E may work as AE suggested. Because I fit the same in Cambridge and Strands but half a size down in the McTavish from you we do not have the same type of foot, so it is hard for me to say for sure, I wish I could. Good luck that is a tough situation you are in given the costs of returns.

First and foremost, thanks a bunch for sharing your thoughts. thumbs-up.gif

 

It would probably help a lot if I would know the exact measurement differences (especially regarding the width) between 11.0E, 11.5D and 11.5E, unfortunately for whatever reason not even the Lady from AE had been able to provide me with this information. confused.gif

post #18439 of 47153

I've read a bunch about this on this thread but I'm still a bit unclear so can someone please help clarify? I understand that the AE outlet stores sell "seconds" at a reduced price. I'm unclear what Nordstrom Rack sells. There's a few located near me and I plan to stop in and see what they have. Will the AE's there be "seconds" or are they "firsts" that they need to move out for some reason (overstock, old style, odd size, etc.)? If they are in fact "seconds" how would I know? Are they labeled as such?

 

Thanks.

Adam

post #18440 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESElrond View Post

Last night, I noticed the addition of a new (to me) model to the clearance section of AE's website: the Rawlins. It's a plain-toed blucher on the 8-last, available in black calf (only), and priced at just $247.

What seemed particularly odd: it's available in all lengths from 6.5 to 12, but only E width. On top of that, nearly all of the sizes listed are "in stock" without any shipment delay, so they must have stock on-hand already.


Can anybody imagine why this might be? Could Allen Edmonds have unearthed a secret cache of completed shoes from a disused corner of their warehouse, that by chance included only E widths?

If the Rawlins were available in my size, I'd almost definitely buy a pair -- I don't currently own any plain-toed bluchers with a standard welt, and my other 8-last shoes fit wonderfully. But since I'm a 10.5 D in the Delray and Clifton, I don't think the nearest alternatives in E width are likely to work out.


Any thoughts? This might be a lucky break for anyone who normally wears an E width in the 8-last.

 

I bought the Hale on AE's Clearance section last year. It is also on the 8-last, in which I wear an 8.5D. However, they only had an 8.5E. I bought it anyway and it fits great after I bought a Superfeet insert to take up some of the extra volume. I've had no problems with it at all.

post #18441 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I own, or have owned, various 5 lasted shoes in shell and calf, all in 9D - Jefferson, PA, Strand, Strawfut, etc. I am TTS 9.5D.

The kenilworth in 9D was the exception. It was too small overall, and particularly too narrow. I ended up selling them.

Thanks for the response. I only have a few pairs of AEs so I am still feeling my way through their lasts. It is unfortunate there is no AE boutique here in Toronto, stores mainly carry D widths and have limited styles. The Strand in 8.5D is a bit too snug at the widest part of my foot and so is the 9D but not as much. The issue I have with the 9D Strand is when I look down at my shoe the vamp seems to exceed the width of the sole (muffin top for shoes), my guess for the #5 last I might be a 8,5E however I am hooping the Jefferson in 9D with the added volume might do the trick. My only concern would be heel slippage. My 5th Ave in 9D slips a tiny bit, not enough to put in a tongue pad or an insole....the Fairfax is a perfect fit. BTW I have the Big Sur and the Players both in 9D as well and Boston in 9.5D but I use a half sole with it.
post #18442 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyb View Post

Thanks for the response Facet! I gather your Jefferson, Kenilworth and PA are all the same size? I think I'll give the Jefferson a go in 9D.

Yep, 8D. I found my Kenilworths also were a little larger in terms of volume compared to my PAs, a bit more so than the Jeffersons. I did try on a pair that were a half size down but didn't like the feel of it because of the change in length so ended up doing the tongue pad thing with them as well and haven't had problems since.
post #18443 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin545 View Post

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the squeakiness of my new brown calf Neumoras? I suspect it's the large leather flap on the double monkstrap rubbing on the leather underneath that's the cause. Is there any way to alleviate the sound? Many thanks in advance!

Use some saddle soap, especially on the parts under buckles, etc. I had the same issue with the same shoe/color and that did it for me.
post #18444 of 47153
See next version, please.
post #18445 of 47153
StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at pgrangaard@allenedmonds.com. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul
post #18446 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

I've read a bunch about this on this thread but I'm still a bit unclear so can someone please help clarify? I understand that the AE outlet stores sell "seconds" at a reduced price. I'm unclear what Nordstrom Rack sells. There's a few located near me and I plan to stop in and see what they have. Will the AE's there be "seconds" or are they "firsts" that they need to move out for some reason (overstock, old style, odd size, etc.)? If they are in fact "seconds" how would I know? Are they labeled as such?

 

Thanks.

Adam

 

It's funny you ask this, because I just got back from my first visit to the local Rack a few minutes ago. There should be a mix between first quality and seconds - some pairs had the shoe stamp they put on their second quality shoes. I did see a lot of shoes that had been beat up a little bit though. There will most likely be some scuffs or a little wear on most pairs, so they're basically all going to be similar to a second quality shoe in terms of aesthetics. 

post #18447 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at pgrangaard@allenedmonds.com. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul

This is so awesome. Yet another reason to love Allen Edmonds.

post #18448 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at pgrangaard@allenedmonds.com. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul

 

 

Now, that's just about the greatest thing you could have said. I've personally tried every maneuver in the book (online chat, emails and AE store sales staff) to get some snuff suede Strands and some sand-colored Neumoras (that one, I saw offered by Ball and Buck, but not in my size). I don't think I'm alone in searching for these and similar items, and being presented the opportunity to finally order them is astoundingly positive news. It's reassuring to hear a CEO so committed to serving the company's loyal consumer base. It doesn't feel like something you had/have to do, but it just cleared a few alternate brands off my wish list.

 

So, sincerely, I would to say, "thank you, sir." You'll probably hear from me very soon and for years to come.

post #18449 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at pgrangaard@allenedmonds.com. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul

 

Guys - I can personally attest to the fact that Paul is committed to his customers.  About a year ago he helped me secure a pair of Wendells after they had been discontinued, and now he's helping me get a custom pair of McAllisters in a color that is not readily offered.  He has been attentive to my concerns, and has even offered some advice on what he feels I could do to fill some of the gaps in my collection.  The fact that the CEO of Allen Edmonds would pay attention to what people are saying in a forum and then reach out to them strikes me as going above and beyond the call of duty.  What's more, he actually seems to enjoy doing it.  Thanks, Paul!

post #18450 of 47153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

 

 

Now, that's just about the greatest thing you could have said. I've personally tried every maneuver in the book (online chat, emails and AE store sales staff) to get some snuff suede Strands and some sand-colored Neumoras (that one, I saw offered by Ball and Buck, but not in my size). I don't think I'm alone in searching for these and similar items, and being presented the opportunity to finally order them is astoundingly positive news. It's reassuring to hear a CEO so committed to serving the company's loyal consumer base. It doesn't feel like something you had/have to do, but it just cleared a few alternate brands off my wish list.

 

So, sincerely, I would to say, "thank you, sir." You'll probably hear from me very soon and for years to come.

 

I hear you on the suede offerings.  I remember posting my collection a while back and a couple of you guys said I needed some suede.  Since then I've gotten two pairs of Player's Shoes and a pair of Amoks.  The sand suede really is nice on the Player's Shoes.  I'm thinking something in sharkskin.  I wonder if there is any sharkskin left after the production of the Redans?  Brown sharkskin would be amazing, though.  My Cliftons are getting lonely (they're the ones on the right)....

 

 

AppleMark

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread