or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1227

post #18391 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

 

So guys. Are my Strands way too tight or am I worrying over nothing? They feel comfortable like this, but tightening them much more would probably cause them to be a bit uncomfortable.

 

 

 

20130404_181430.jpg 2,180k .jpg file

This took time to be approved so many probably missed my post. Anyone?

 

Those are Strand in 11D. My 11D McTavish fit perfectly btw.

post #18392 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

This took time to be approved so many probably missed my post. Anyone?

 

Those are Strand in 11D. My 11D McTavish fit perfectly btw.

 

If they're brand new, they'll probably break in a bit and the gap will probably be cut in half (at least in my experience). I don't think they look bad as is, especially if they're comfortable, and I don't think you have enough space to go wider. I think the next width might close the gap while still leaving you space. You could try on an E, but I think those look fine as is!

post #18393 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

This took time to be approved so many probably missed my post. Anyone?

 

Those are Strand in 11D. My 11D McTavish fit perfectly btw.

Though they are both on the same last, comparing the fit of the McTavish to any of the calf shoes doesn't work. The McTavish is made from a tougher leather than the Stand (or any calf), so it doesn't fit as tightly around the last. They typically run a half-size bigger than the calf equivalent. I would try an 11.5D. For me, I typically take a 9.5E in the 5-last, but for the McTavish, I went down to a 9E.

post #18394 of 47131
Chromexcel Bayfield today.

post #18395 of 47131

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyb View Post

HI, I've done a search on Google and in this forum and I haven't found a relevant post regarding the comparative fit of the AE Jefferson. I've got a a couple of pairs (Fairfax and 5th Avenue) on the #5 Last and they fit me great in a 9D, however I've had to return a couple of 9D on the same Last over the years. The Strand was too narrow and the Kenilworth was just too big overall.

I am thinking of getting the Jefferson in dark brown however I don't have access to a store that carries the particular style. I am hoping some of the forum members who have the Jefferson can comment on the fit in comparison to either the Strand, 5th Ave or Fairfax. Thanks in advance.

I do not have the Fairfax or Kenilworth but have a lot of other 5 lasted shoes including the Jefferson in dark brown. I do recall reading that the Fairfax and Kenilworth fit a bit differently.

Looks like the Kenilworth fits half a size larger than other 5 lasted shoes. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?115067-Allen-Edmonds-Last-number-5-Park-Avenue-(and-others)-vs-Kenilworth And the Fairfax is a bit shorter and wider than other 5 lasted shoes. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?111114-Sizing-down-to-fit-into-the-Allen-Edmonds-5-last

 

Most 5 lasted shoes fit me perfectly in TTS, I own the Shell Cambridge, Shell PA, Shell Strand, McAllister, McTavish, Black Hills, Elgin, Strawfut, Brooks 7 and Jefferson. The shell shoes fit just slightly larger than calf but not enough to size down, I'd say .025 size difference not a full half size larger. The Jefferson is somewhat in between, just a little more room than the calf but not as large as the shell. The difference is very slight but the leather is soft and has a little give to it is what I think is the reason. Certainly worth a try IMO and it is a great shoe. Good luck.

 

jeffersons1.jpg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Though they are both on the same last, comparing the fit of the McTavish to any of the calf shoes doesn't work. The McTavish is made from a tougher leather than the Stand (or any calf), so it doesn't fit as tightly around the last. They typically run a half-size bigger than the calf equivalent. I would try an 11.5D. For me, I typically take a 9.5E in the 5-last, but for the McTavish, I went down to a 9E.

Same here. For all 3 of my rough collection shoes I went down to a 9.5D from a 10D and they fit perfectly.

post #18396 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo View Post

Chromexcel Bayfield today.

And your CXL Bayfield's are looking good!

post #18397 of 47131

Help me out fellow AE'ers.  Dark brown cordovan cream from AE, I would assume that is fine to use on calfskin leather, yes?

 

Thank you.

post #18398 of 47131

Just came across this AE shoes on ebay, can anyone tell what model it is? http://www.ebay.de/itm/360628099350

post #18399 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Though they are both on the same last, comparing the fit of the McTavish to any of the calf shoes doesn't work. The McTavish is made from a tougher leather than the Stand (or any calf), so it doesn't fit as tightly around the last. They typically run a half-size bigger than the calf equivalent. I would try an 11.5D. For me, I typically take a 9.5E in the 5-last, but for the McTavish, I went down to a 9E.

Well... true for me too... almost. wink.gif

As the length of the shoe remains the same even though the leather does not fit as tightly around the last, I'd recommend to just go down in width, but not in size, i.e. for me the Cambridge fits in 11.5E, the McTavish in 11.5D.

post #18400 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

 

If they're brand new, they'll probably break in a bit and the gap will probably be cut in half (at least in my experience). I don't think they look bad as is, especially if they're comfortable, and I don't think you have enough space to go wider. I think the next width might close the gap while still leaving you space. You could try on an E, but I think those look fine as is!

Cool, thanks. They're not brand new but still pretty new. Hopefully they'll stretch a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Though they are both on the same last, comparing the fit of the McTavish to any of the calf shoes doesn't work. The McTavish is made from a tougher leather than the Stand (or any calf), so it doesn't fit as tightly around the last. They typically run a half-size bigger than the calf equivalent. I would try an 11.5D. For me, I typically take a 9.5E in the 5-last, but for the McTavish, I went down to a 9E.

That makes sense. Too bad I wasn't aware when I got them. 

post #18401 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

Help me out fellow AE'ers.  Dark brown cordovan cream from AE, I would assume that is fine to use on calfskin leather, yes?

 

Thank you.

 

I don't know.  What's the main ingredient?  With Saphir, the calfskin polish has turpentine (or something similar) to help the polish penetrate into the shoe.  The cordovan cream, however, is primarily neatsfoot oil as turpentine is harmful to shell. 

 

It's not like AE polish is that expensive, why not get the appropriate calfskin polish?

post #18402 of 47131
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the squeakiness of my new brown calf Neumoras? I suspect it's the large leather flap on the double monkstrap rubbing on the leather underneath that's the cause. Is there any way to alleviate the sound? Many thanks in advance!
post #18403 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyb View Post

HI, I've done a search on Google and in this forum and I haven't found a relevant post regarding the comparative fit of the AE Jefferson. I've got a a couple of pairs (Fairfax and 5th Avenue) on the #5 Last and they fit me great in a 9D, however I've had to return a couple of 9D on the same Last over the years. The Strand was too narrow and the Kenilworth was just too big overall.

I am thinking of getting the Jefferson in dark brown however I don't have access to a store that carries the particular style. I am hoping some of the forum members who have the Jefferson can comment on the fit in comparison to either the Strand, 5th Ave or Fairfax. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this helps but I have the Jefferson and Kenilworth but not the Strand,5th or Fairfax; the PAs are my only other 5 last shoe. I noticed that the Jefferson's were a little larger volume wise compared to my PA's such that I had a little bit of heel slippage; I ended up using tongue pads and that took care of the problem. I certainly wouldn't want to size down though, although going down in width may have helped.
post #18404 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

I do not have the Fairfax or Kenilworth but have a lot of other 5 lasted shoes including the Jefferson in dark brown. I do recall reading that the Fairfax and Kenilworth fit a bit differently.

Looks like the Kenilworth fits half a size larger than other 5 lasted shoeshttp://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?115067-Allen-Edmonds-Last-number-5-Park-Avenue-(and-others)-vs-Kenilworth And the Fairfax is a bit shorter and wider than other 5 lasted shoes. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?111114-Sizing-down-to-fit-into-the-Allen-Edmonds-5-last

 

 

I concur. My Kenilworth's are 7.5E. Other 5 last shoes are 8E. Coincidentally, I'm an 8.5D on the 8 last.

post #18405 of 47131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohwoh View Post

 

 

These are how they look..

 

Seems to me these could be laced a bit tighter...a bit loose around the ankle, possibly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread