or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1213

post #18181 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Didn't hurt that they were incentivized with over $100m in our taxpayer monies.

 

Manufacturing within the sales region also hedges against currency fluctuations, in addition to tariffs or similar protectionism.

 

However, there is a small, but growing shift towards corporate insourcing due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, increasing wages abroad and better automation and QC domestically. Also, shorter time-to-market and better holistic designs given centralized development and manufacturing bases.

 

As much as I support the UAW and Ford and GM, I can't fault people for buying foreign based on product offering. Drawing parallels between cars and shoes, the Meermins/Carmina's and Honda/Toyota's of the world help AE/Alden and Ford/GM step-up their game with external factors like products, price, quality, and drive internal efficacy.

 

Competition only serves consumers.

 

It's really interesting to read that there was significant consumer backlash towards Filson and AE because of offshoring. There are very few other brands this would happen to and demonstrates how much of their brand identity is derived from "Made in USA".

 

All things equal (price, design, quality), would you still buy AE's if they weren't made-in-USA, or would you shop elsewhere? (It'd be easier still, if some of the foreign makes were picked up by Zappos or other B&M or E-retailers.)

That $100m is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue that BMW created in the local region. Many in NC were upset because SC got them by allowing Corp. tax exemption for a few years. You would think NC would have learned by all the manufacturing in the Greenville area already. I was fine with it living in Asheville as Greenville was closer than the NC location they were offering. I picked up some consulting work from them and some of the hundreds of other companies that sprang up to supply them. Every German manager that I talked to said they were amazed at the productivity of the American worker. Then they would defend the German work force but say that because of the German union influence they didn't get near the amount of work from them.

 

I've been burnt hard by lack of support and service by the American Auto Industry over the years and have tried them all. My current vehicle is made in Tn. I may go back one more time and try again and if I do it will be a Ford because they didn't participate in the gov't bail out. But they also burnt me the worst with the POS V6 head leaks and all 3 times while I was deployed overseas and the wife was left back home alone to take care of it. And Ford didn't even acknowledge it was an issue until a class action lawsuit. That is lack of customer service at its worst.

 

Pendleton is also a highly American defined brand, and the shirts are hard to beat, I owned my first one in Washington State more than 30 years ago. And picked up a few more over the years. Henry Fonda wore a Pendleton shirt every day in the movie Sometimes a Great Notion for a reason. In January I was in Old Town Scottsdale in Az. being dragged through the shops and saw a Pendleton store so I dragged her through it as soon as I saw it. And was shocked at how little was made in the US any more, but the prices were still typical Pendleton prices. I'm afraid they are headed the way of Woolrich which is a shadow of its former self, as is the town of Woolrich, Pa. because of it.

 

All things are not equal between AE and other shoe manufactures that I have dealt with. AE customer service is second to none and one of the reasons I am loyal to them. That and they are the only higher end shoe company to work with the military system. I have spent more on other shoes and don't feel they have the same value. In my mind there is no other shoe company to even compare them to, no one else even comes close price or not.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post
 
No one even commented on my April's fools day joke attempt? Jeez u guys are too smart.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

Men - Thanks very much for your support of Allen Edmonds. Just to clear things up as April Fool's Day comes to a close -- this time NO JOKE -- we are exporting our USA production shoes FROM Wisconsin TO Shanghai. It's the Authentic American Styling and Production that our Chinese partners are looking for. They love our "Since 1922" heritage as well as the relationship we've had with famous Americans, such as the Presidents, as well as American leaders in all walks of life. There is no desire on our part to produce shoes in China for ANY market -- there or here -- and no desire on their part to sell local production under our banner.

Good joke, though. It made its way through to me in pretty fast time after one of our lurking store managers discovered it (pre-joke acknowledgement).

Thanks again for all the support of AE we receive from StyleForum members!

Best wishes,
Paul

I do believe you got a comment... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

So today my new AE Shell Cordovan Shell Strands arrived. The AE website calls these Brown. Item number 1645. The website pic is shown below. 

Here is a pic of the shoes prior to any care or attention, straight out of the box. 

 

AppleMark

 

So i used Venetian Creme on them, and was amazed at the color that came off of the shoe onto the white cloth I was using. I then horse hair brushed them, and buffed them with a clean flannel cloth. I then used melatonin cleaner and conditioner. Horse hair brushed them, and buffed with the flannel cloth. Then I did the Mac Method, wiping them down with a damp rag, allowing them to dry, and horse hair brushing the you know what out of them. Then buffed with the flannel cloth. I then applied a think coat of brown polish. I used dabs of water and buffed the polish off with small curls, as I do every time I polish my shoes. Then buffed them once again with the flannel cloth.

 

AppleMark

 

 

 

AppleMark

I am very happy with the finished product, but am a bit disappointed in the color. They almost have a merlot/burgundy color to them. When ordering brown, I figured they would in fact be brown. They are more of a brownish burgundy. So, I am hopeful over time they will fade and get a nice brown patina. Does anyone have any experience with this pair in this color? And what do you think of these and their color?

My shell Strands are walnut so I don't have that same exact color Strand. But I do have brown shell Patriot and Dundee which are no where near that color. Personally I like the color of your Stands, a lot. You can always exchange them if you are not happy with the color and should if it bothers you. But I'd think hard about it as those are the most unique color I think I have ever seen. Shell is not ever exact and the use of aniline dyes allows the shell color to come through. Good looking shoe IMO.

post #18182 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

Men - Thanks very much for your support of Allen Edmonds. Just to clear things up as April Fool's Day comes to a close -- this time NO JOKE -- we are exporting our USA production shoes FROM Wisconsin TO Shanghai. It's the Authentic American Styling and Production that our Chinese partners are looking for. They love our "Since 1922" heritage as well as the relationship we've had with famous Americans, such as the Presidents, as well as American leaders in all walks of life. There is no desire on our part to produce shoes in China for ANY market -- there or here -- and no desire on their part to sell local production under our banner.

Good joke, though. It made its way through to me in pretty fast time after one of our lurking store managers discovered it (pre-joke acknowledgement).

Thanks again for all the support of AE we receive from StyleForum members!

Best wishes,
Paul

 

Awesome to hear, thanks for posting

post #18183 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Here are some AE Bourbon photos I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

I know I replied earlier saying you should search for images, but here are a couple I previously posted (starting with the bourbon McAllister and a few of the bourbon Strand in different lighting)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

Hah. A few of the first dozen photos are of mine. Here're the links for more pics:

Thanks for the help, gentlemen.
post #18184 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


I suppose getting the larger size is the way to go. Try a heel or tongue pad on the right shoe.

The other option is to return them and use their MTO option. You can pick from several models, pick pretty much any color they offer, but most importantly, you can pick different sizes for the left and right shoes. There is a premium charge for this service.

 

Thanks for the response. I was aware of the MTO option but like you said that is expensive. Any thoughts from you (or anyone else) on the discoloration?

post #18185 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidist View Post

Probably 1 and 7, though the Barrie is a very unique last.

I'll have to explore the 7-last ... I've already got a pair of Leeds and have found it to be more narrow and longer heel to arch than my 975 ( 8.5D 1-last vs 8D Barrie).
post #18186 of 51323

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

I am very happy with the finished product, but am a bit disappointed in the color. They almost have a merlot/burgundy color to them. When ordering brown, I figured they would in fact be brown. They are more of a brownish burgundy. So, I am hopeful over time they will fade and get a nice brown patina. Does anyone have any experience with this pair in this color? And what do you think of these and their color?

 

This is the best looking Strand shell colour I have ever seen, You're right that it doesn't look anywhere close to brown. Here's a picture of my shell dark brown Patriot and a colour #8 loafer. Your Strands might fit right in between the two.

 

 

 

Sorry for the flipped picture. It's coming straight off my phone. 

I would still wear those Strands :)

post #18187 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAdam View Post

 

Thanks for the response. I was aware of the MTO option but like you said that is expensive. Any thoughts from you (or anyone else) on the discoloration?

 

I don't think it will probably ever go away, but I would expect it lessen over time as the shoe wears.  Additionally, from the photo I would think it would be hard for anyone ever to notice the difference from eye to foot distance, so I would probably just keep them but they are your shoes.  If you don't like it, exchange them.  

 

I also wanted to recommend that you not go with the smaller size and hope they will stretch.  I have the same problem as you where my left foot is good at a 10D in the 5 last, but my right is a 10 1/4D.  I tried the 10D's per the sales guys suggestion that they would "loosen up", but after many wearings, various stretchings by a cobbler and the bank, they just were never comfortable and I couldn't wear them all day long due to pressure on the top of my toes and rubbing on my pinky.  As a testament to AE customer service, they allowed me to exchange them worn for 10.5D and I am much happier.  They don't have a glove-like feel, but my feet are much more comfortable and I will wear the shoes more because of it.

post #18188 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenEdmondsCEO View Post

Men - Thanks very much for your support of Allen Edmonds. Just to clear things up as April Fool's Day comes to a close -- this time NO JOKE -- we are exporting our USA production shoes FROM Wisconsin TO Shanghai. It's the Authentic American Styling and Production that our Chinese partners are looking for. They love our "Since 1922" heritage as well as the relationship we've had with famous Americans, such as the Presidents, as well as American leaders in all walks of life. There is no desire on our part to produce shoes in China for ANY market -- there or here -- and no desire on their part to sell local production under our banner.

Good joke, though. It made its way through to me in pretty fast time after one of our lurking store managers discovered it (pre-joke acknowledgement).

Thanks again for all the support of AE we receive from StyleForum members!

Best wishes,
Paul

 

 

Whew, that is a relief!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

Thanks for chiming in, Paul. I know you're very busy, but it's nice to see you "walking" amongst the commoners. Please feel free to check in with us from time to time!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle View Post

 

It's tough to resist working your way through this thread, but you're absolutely right! His previous posts on the forum were in separate threads (interview and a question of the provenance of uppers). I'm glad he finally stopped in, and I hope he does it a lot more often.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

Thanks. I really do love them. I had been waiting the 6-8 weeks, and was pleasantly surprised when they showed up at about 4 1/2. Though I had to rejigger my evening to spend the time to prepare them for wearing today. Thanks for joining us here and chiming in on this forum. I think I speak for all of us when I say we very much appreciate your presence, and all you do for AE.

 

Just wanted to affirm my appreciation for chiming in as well!  We would all enjoy hearing from you from time to time if you can fit us into your crazy schedule! 

post #18189 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Thanks. Now, FIX THE BOWING/GAPING PROBLEM.

 

That's uncalled for and inappropriate.  I cannot believe you would speak to anyone in this manner, let alone the CEO of a company who came here as a guest to clear up a misconception.

post #18190 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

That's uncalled for and inappropriate.  I cannot believe you would speak to anyone in this manner, let alone the CEO of a company who came here as a guest to clear up a misconception.

 

Agree.  Especially since the issue seems to be caused by not fitting the wearer rather than being an actual defect with the shoe, at least from anecdotal evidence that people are buying the shoes with the bowing problem being present from the beginning.  Not all lasts fit all types of feet. 

post #18191 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

That's uncalled for and inappropriate.  I cannot believe you would speak to anyone in this manner, let alone the CEO of a company who came here as a guest to clear up a misconception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Agree.  Especially since the issue seems to be caused by not fitting the wearer rather than being an actual defect with the shoe, at least from anecdotal evidence that people are buying the shoes with the bowing problem being present from the beginning.  Not all lasts fit all types of feet. 

Eh, I see your points however, if you step into a public forum, you should be prepared to encounter any matter of public comment. Does it make the poster's comment unprofessional? I am not saying; I can see it being a joke. For someone to be upset by that would make me wonder if they are considering the source. Public forum...anonymous posting....say whatever you want. For someone to take any comment with any more weight than that is also a problem....just my thoughts....
post #18192 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharo View Post



Eh, I see your points however, if you step into a public forum, you should be prepared to encounter any matter of public comment. Does it make the poster's comment unprofessional? I am not saying; I can see it being a joke. For someone to be upset by that would make me wonder if they are considering the source. Public forum...anonymous posting....say whatever you want. For someone to take any comment with any more weight than that is also a problem....just my thoughts....

 

Stick around for awhile and you will see that the posters in this thread address each other with a respect and civility that is not found in other SF threads.  Rudeness and disrespect are frequently called out as inappropriate in this thread.  And, whether CoolArrow was joking or venting about his grievance (see below), he was rude and inappropriate considering the context of the AE CEO taking the time to post in this thread.

 

I, for one, think it is pretty cool that the CEO of AE came here to post and do not want one disgruntled customer to make him think he is not welcome here at any time.  Especially when that disgruntled customer is upset because he was not able to exchange the seconds he bought at Nordstrom Rack after wearing them for a year and a half before noticing a bowing/gaping issue.

post #18193 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharo View Post



Eh, I see your points however, if you step into a public forum, you should be prepared to encounter any matter of public comment. Does it make the poster's comment unprofessional? I am not saying; I can see it being a joke. For someone to be upset by that would make me wonder if they are considering the source. Public forum...anonymous posting....say whatever you want. For someone to take any comment with any more weight than that is also a problem....just my thoughts....

 

Your point is definitely valid to a certain degree.  I wasn't personally offended, and I doubt Paul would be either.  I was really responding to what I percieve to be an incorrect or invalid statement.  If someone is joking, then using an emoticon or some other form of punctuation goes a long way.  That's why they are there.  A blunt message in all caps with a period sounds like an ultimatum, which is inappropriate, especially given that the problem he is asking to be fixed may not be AE's fault to begin with. 

 

As for the last statement, that is a double edged sword.  Don't you want to be taken seriously?  I personally don't like the sound of Paul stepping into what we try to maintain as a polite, open, learning environment only to have his head bitten off the first time he does so.  I'd rather him feel welcome to come back and engage rather than feeling like he is just going to end up having to address issues that may not even be AE's fault.  All too often I get annoyed by people whose first posts in StyleForum are prefaced with things like "go easy on me" or "don't yell at me" or something like that.  Obviously people ask questions that could easily be figured out by a little bit of independent research, and that can be frustrating to see threads getting clogged up by the same old answers being posed over and over again.  However, many also take advantage of the anonymous posting and lose their common courtesy, thus making the environment seem hostile.  Many members seem to thrive on lurking around waiting for a comment by a less experienced poster so that they can pounce and show off their "knowledge." 

post #18194 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Agree.  Especially since the issue seems to be caused by not fitting the wearer rather than being an actual defect with the shoe, at least from anecdotal evidence that people are buying the shoes with the bowing problem being present from the beginning.  Not all lasts fit all types of feet. 
I actually thought it was a defect more than a fit issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidist View Post

Probably 1 and 7, though the Barrie is a very unique last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaker View Post

I'll have to explore the 7-last ... I've already got a pair of Leeds and have found it to be more narrow and longer heel to arch than my 975 ( 8.5D 1-last vs 8D Barrie).

Does anyone else have any input on this? I don't have any Alden shoes yet or even Barrie lasted, but I always under the impression that Barrie lasted shoes were wide. In my experience, 7 lasted shoes are narrow and I feel they are even more narrow than their 5 last counterparts.
post #18195 of 51323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


I actually thought it was a defect more than a fit issue.

Does anyone else have any input on this? I don't have any Alden shoes yet or even Barrie lasted, but I always under the impression that Barrie lasted shoes were wide. In my experience, 7 lasted shoes are narrow and I feel they are even more narrow than their 5 last counterparts.

 

The truth is, that hasn't really been figured out.  I have seen Paul's engagement in another thread  a while back where he touched on it, and said that it could arise from a shoe being stored too long in a shoe box laying on it's side, or not being kept with shoe trees.  It was strictly conjecture, however. 

 

I have asked questions about it, and the only responses I seem to get are that the bowing is present when people buy the shoes, rather than something that develops over time.  I have also heard of a person or two that figured out that changing sizes fixed the problem.  The issue really is that it is speculation regarding what is causing the problem.  I'm not saying it isn't a defect, but there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that it isn't.  I don't think AE has changed the way they are manufactering their 5-lasted shoes, and if it is a defect with the leather hide, it seems quite odd that it would show up so frequently as bowing around the throat of the shoe.  Why not somewhere else in the shoe?  The pieces of the shoe are all cut from a single hide, so if a section gets cut and used and later shows up to be defective, it should happen in other parts of the shoe just from a standpoint of chance.  

 

I think that the high degree of exposure that AE and the other high-end manufacterers are getting from StyleForum and AAAC due to the current trend of "made in USA" and the in-fashion status of timeless men's wear has simply brought to the forefront issues that may not actually be anything new.  In other words, a guy in 1990 who went out and bought a pair of Park Avenues that seemed to fit well and were comfortable, may not have thought anything of the throat of the shoe having some extra "room."  Instead, he would have decided the shoes were comfortable, bought them, bought the recommended shoe care supplies or gone to his local pharmacy and purchased some Kiwi products, and lived happily ever after.  Now, due to the trends and exposure that is taking place, people are stressing over details that haven't always been a concern.  If you could travel back in time a few decades, I bet you would find shoes with some color inconsistencies, some occasional off stitching, and perhaps a bowing issue or two, but the people would be walking around happily going about their business. 

 

No doubt that the increased exposure and trends has led these companies to increase production, speed up their processes, and as a result some QC issues have been more apparent as a result.  I am not discounting that at all.  I just think a middle ground has to exist here.  Sorry for the long post.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread