or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1211

post #18151 of 46825
Since my first foray into Allen Edmonds, the Long Branch, I have become increasingly self-conscious about the Eccos I've been wearing these many years.

For my next pair, I'm thinking Strands. A couple questions:

11.5 D (which could probably have been 11E) in Long Branch = ? in Strand? 11 E?

Does anyone have a good pic of the Bourbon IRL? I feel like the pic on the AE site doesn't accurately represent the actual shoe, compared to an ad in the Harry Rosen magazine I recently saw.

Many thanks.
post #18152 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

Since my first foray into Allen Edmonds, the Long Branch, I have become increasingly self-conscious about the Eccos I've been wearing these many years.

For my next pair, I'm thinking Strands. A couple questions:

11.5 D (which could probably have been 11E) in Long Branch = ? in Strand? 11 E?

Does anyone have a good pic of the Bourbon IRL? I feel like the pic on the AE site doesn't accurately represent the actual shoe, compared to an ad in the Harry Rosen magazine I recently saw.

Many thanks.

Have you done a google images search?
http://www.google.it/search?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&tbm=isch&q=allen+Edmonds+bourbon+strand&spell=1&sa=X&ei=0AZaUaPIL8WsPMTjgYgH&ved=0CDcQvwUoAA&biw=1024&bih=660
post #18153 of 46825

I hadn't... Thanks!

Any advice on sizing, compared to the Long Branch? According to the site's last guide, the Strand is longer and narrower. Shy of trying them on in person, any idea how much longer and narrower?
post #18154 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

Since my first foray into Allen Edmonds, the Long Branch, I have become increasingly self-conscious about the Eccos I've been wearing these many years.

For my next pair, I'm thinking Strands. A couple questions:

11.5 D (which could probably have been 11E) in Long Branch = ? in Strand? 11 E?

Does anyone have a good pic of the Bourbon IRL? I feel like the pic on the AE site doesn't accurately represent the actual shoe, compared to an ad in the Harry Rosen magazine I recently saw.

Many thanks.

There are pictures in this thread. I even posted some. Just click on a recent picture and then click "gallery view" to see all the pictures in this thread, starting with the most recent. I hope that helps.
post #18155 of 46825
Sorry- I can't help with the sizing, but I'd encourage you to not be too shy to get fitted. I'm sure that will give you the best possible results!
post #18156 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post

Interestingly, as I alluded to in my initial post on this subject, I rather like the PA, - I stated it was too round and has an unacceptable cap toe in the context of highlighting WHAT OTHERS perceive as its flaws.  Thats not my opinion of the shoe at all.  But it simply doesnt pass the muster, once people start doling out constructive criticism.  If a shoe has that many perceived flaws (to OTHER PEOPLE, not to myself), it doesnt make sense for it to still be the number one option when there are other choices out there that fill the exact same niche with apparently better execution.  The Harrison or a Black Rutledge, could very well be a more modern, stylized version of the Park Avenue, with an emphasis on addressing the concerns people seem to have about the PA.  But neither ever seem to be recommended as a conservative dress shoe.  And if the reason is because they wouldnt square with a formal business environment, well then that would mean that the PA's flaws arent really flaws at all...but rather the shoe is exactly what it should be. 

Yes I agree that they are. And are common enough that many seem to think that they are the only AE shoe that has bowing issues. A conservative dress shoe should not bring attention to itself for those situations where the focus should be somewhere else IMO. Back in Oct. xxx posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx

I bought the park avenues and wore them to the funeral for about 4 hours and I kept looking down and wasn't too impressed frown.gif

I know they are black shoes but has anyone else had the same experience?

And I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Then they fit the task at hand perfectly. To wear shoes that jump out at all at a funeral at all would be disrespectful to the deceased IMO. Just that, my opinion but it is a common one. Same could be said for black shoes for an interview.

And it also applies when sitting in some business situations. You don't see any flashy shoes in those meeting rooms. You said it perfectly, it is exactly the shoe it was designed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Walnut Shell Strands for Easter Sunday. Natural sunlight shot.

I LOVE the color of your walnut shell! Nicely done. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post

Since I don't really golf, and thus have no interest in golf shoes, I'm not necessarily disappointed by the Jack Nicklaus collection. However I am a bit puzzled by AE's marketing strategy on this one. I would have thought the Jack Nicklaus collection should be their top of the line made in USA golf shoes instead of the entry level line made in DR. It would be like Nike making their Air Jordans cheaper than their other shoe lines. It doesn't quite make sense to me.

Very well said and I was disappointed that they are made in the DR also. Filson moved its boot production to DR a few years ago then a couple of months ago moved it back to the US. Although they contract it out (always have) it is back to US manufacturing. And discontinued the made in China passage luggage line, they were taking a lot of heat for both. It made enough impact on me that today I purchased another Filson item the wheeled carry on. Although I blame JermynStreet for posting a picture of his when wearing burgundy shell patriots causing the start of this purchase. Filson did learn, fingers crossed about AE. And now China? I hope what is made in China for AE stays in China. It is common in manufacturing and even BMW built a plant in Greenville, SC for the same reason.  

post #18157 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

Sorry- I can't help with the sizing, but I'd encourage you to not be too shy to get fitted. I'm sure that will give you the best possible results!

It's not a case of being shy; simply that the Harry Rosen an hour away is the closest place to order AE shoes, and they carry a very limited supply in stock. They're great for ordering for me, but getting in the wrong size means waiting a couple weeks for them to swap them for the proper ones.
post #18158 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

It is common in manufacturing and even BMW built a plant in Greenville, SC for the same reason.  

 

Didn't hurt that they were incentivized with over $100m in our taxpayer monies.

 

Manufacturing within the sales region also hedges against currency fluctuations, in addition to tariffs or similar protectionism.

 

However, there is a small, but growing shift towards corporate insourcing due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, increasing wages abroad and better automation and QC domestically. Also, shorter time-to-market and better holistic designs given centralized development and manufacturing bases.

 

As much as I support the UAW and Ford and GM, I can't fault people for buying foreign based on product offering. Drawing parallels between cars and shoes, the Meermins/Carmina's and Honda/Toyota's of the world help AE/Alden and Ford/GM step-up their game with external factors like products, price, quality, and drive internal efficacy.

 

Competition only serves consumers.

 

It's really interesting to read that there was significant consumer backlash towards Filson and AE because of offshoring. There are very few other brands this would happen to and demonstrates how much of their brand identity is derived from "Made in USA".

 

All things equal (price, design, quality), would you still buy AE's if they weren't made-in-USA, or would you shop elsewhere? (It'd be easier still, if some of the foreign makes were picked up by Zappos or other B&M or E-retailers.)

post #18159 of 46825
I would like to keep an open mind regarding j&m. Just had a look at their website. There are few nice made in usa shoes on their custom section. What I see in the picture tells me the finishing looks to be superior than those offered by AE. But then the price range is slightly higher. And being on custom made - I don't think the will be offered in sale. But if the other member confirms teh quality is in par with alden then they may offer some good alternative to those who wants quality MADE IN USA shoes.

AE is good for what they are. The seconds are excellent vale - which is hard to beat. I think ae should offer few more colors and dress boot in to their collections.
I like these boots-
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1725&sc=1725&pid=81438
and these-
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1725&sc=1725&pid=68577
post #18160 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Walnut Shell Strands for Easter Sunday. Natural sunlight shot.

Very Nice. I just received my Brown Shell Strands today. Working on cleaning them up tonight and getting them ready for the wild tomorrow.

post #18161 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Walnut Shell Strands for Easter Sunday. Natural sunlight shot.



Is that some gaping I detect on the right shoe?
post #18162 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

I just got an email from one of my contacts at the shoe bank who said that he heard AE was opening up a Chinese production shop for their shoes sold in China...has anyone else heard this?? Apparently the Chinese have levied a new freight tax to discourage imports from rising American manufacturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

Josiah at the Jville store.

No one even commented on my April's fools day joke attempt? Jeez u guys are too smart.
post #18163 of 46825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Didn't hurt that they were incentivized with over $100m in our taxpayer monies.

Manufacturing within the sales region also hedges against currency fluctuations, in addition to tariffs or similar protectionism.

However, there is a small, but growing shift towards corporate insourcing due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, increasing wages abroad and better automation and QC domestically. Also, shorter time-to-market and better holistic designs given centralized development and manufacturing bases.


As much as I support the UAW and Ford and GM, I can't fault people for buying foreign based on product offering. Drawing parallels between cars and shoes, the Meermins/Carmina's and Honda/Toyota's of the world help AE/Alden and Ford/GM step-up their game with external factors like products, price, quality, and drive internal efficacy.


Competition only serves consumers.

It's really interesting to read that there was significant consumer backlash towards Filson and AE because of offshoring. There are very few other brands this would happen to and demonstrates how much of their brand identity is derived from "Made in USA".

All things equal (price, design, quality), would you still buy AE's if they weren't made-in-USA, or would you shop elsewhere? (It'd be easier still, if some of the foreign makes were picked up by Zappos or other B&M or E-retailers.)


Mario, I could not agree more. I am certain that the day is coming that there will be a broad choice of shoes that are competitive with AE in terms of quality and price, available in the US, and imported from overseas, including from China. And I think AE is smart to produce shoes in China for the Chinese market, as well as possibly "preparing" for the day that they import shoes back to the US.

On the Chinese market, one thing most people don't realize is how expensive Western goods are there, and it's compounded by currency valuations. When I was there, I saw the ultra high end shoes, like Lobb and Edward Green, and then tons of made-in-China cemented shoes (which were, by the way, of impressive quality). But there's no solid mid-level AE-type brand there. I think it's cost prohibitive to import at the AE price level, and there is just not a local brand making these kinds of shoes that I saw. I'm guessing that AE sees a much larger market there if they can get local prices down, and that means local production.

And I don't think that that necessarily means lower quality shoes than those made in the US in the long run. While I've been disappointed with the imported shoes from J&M, Cole Haan, et al, there are some companies that are proving you can make quality shoes in Asia if you manage the process properly. Meermin makes an undisclosed portion of their shoes in China (meaning - each shoe is partly made in China, then finished in Mallorca). They can still import the shoes to Europe and ship them to the US, and the total price is still lower than a pair of AEs. And reviews of their product on their SF thread put them at a similar quality as AE, give or take personal opinions. There was also mention of a company in Indonesia that makes Goodyear welted shoes for the Japan and Korea markets and is highly regarded, and at least a couple SFers have private label shoes made in SE Asia. So it can be done. And why not AE doing it, if they know how to do it well?

As I said, the day is coming. Let's see how AE manages this, and if at some point they import certain models or (gasp!) partially outsource production like Meermin does, or as they do with uppers in the DR, don't be surprised! But also don't be scared of quality going down; I think they can do it!
post #18164 of 46825
And I fell for the April Fool's joke!!! shog[1].gif

It was so plausible, I fell for it. But I still say Chinese shoes are coming.....coming...coming...biggrin.gif
post #18165 of 46825
Thanks for the compliments gents.

And yes, these do gap. I have 5 pair of AEs and I think 3 of the gap. I've given up on that one..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread