Fair enough, I saw the description. I just think that both the creases and the sheen screams "shell."
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 11:44 am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 4/23/15 at 8:48am in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- *** FINAL PRICE DROP *** ALLEN EDMONDS CAMBRIDGE SHELL CORDOVAN. EXCELLENT CONDITION. SIZE 9 Last post on 4/16/13 at 11:59am in Marketplace
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1205
Styleforum Top Picks
I think the small wrinkle on the upper of the left shoe (at the place where the pinky toe would be) is too fine. You could always ask the seller if they are shell cordovan. If he says yes and they actually are not, you can just return.
Ha- but they are actually not Bates. I came in back in 1998 so I was issued Wolverine brand shoes with a production date of 1996.
They are still holding on! Had to resole them the first time at the 12 year mark. The rubber sole finally gave out so I went with leather, but I went through that really fast.
They are still ok for normal day wear but for dress uniform use they are looking a little rough.
Maybe I'll use this line of thought on my wife to explain why I need another pair of AEs!
Wow am I out of the loop! I retired a few years before you came in But still have 10 years to go in Civ World working before I'm really retired for good. I've been out long enough now that when I see shoes with leather exposed and no polish I find it easier to fight the urge to walk over to them and say "How about standing a little closer to the Kiwi next time!"
You certainly know how to take care of your shoes no matter who makes them. The ability to have a good shoe resoled is one of the things I try to explain to people when they ask about my shoes and ask how much they cost, etc. Quite a few people have asked me at work about them over the years but they still (usually) end up buying those made in China clown shoes instead. I would still use it on your wife though!
In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And I love 'em too, well done. Talk about Black Cherry #8....
As do I, always nice shots.
Is there any way to polish my burgundy shell MacNeils to look like this? I use AE's shell cream and all it gives me is a dark burgundy finish. Suggestions appreciated! Love the shoe, but find the color too dark!
Edit: Mine aren't vintage but only 6 months old.
The Mac Method might be a good place to start with your shell care. I don't know how much you should do to preemptively change the color, but they might lighten a bit over time.
It's worth the trip if you have at least two hours to kill. I've been there several times and I don't think I've ever left empty handed. It makes for a good opportunity to try on a lot of different shoes in sizes very close to your normal size that sometimes make for a better fit than you'd think. If you head to the larger back part of the store--where the seconds are--they'll pretty much leave you alone to really scrounge around, they just check on you every so often to see if you need any help. If you find something you like but it doesn't quite fit, they can quickly find out if any of the other outlets has the right size for you.
I agree with Sizzle. Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.
Yep and I agree with this totally. First thing I do when I get new AE shell is strip the factory cream off.
For decades shell meant #8, and most all men just used black polish on them, and a few blue polish. Too much gunks them up but a little now and then helps get the patina a bit faster so you end up with that "Black Cherry" look. Time and brushing.
I've been using Venetian Shoe Cream but just this past week picked up some Renovateur, which promptly got applied to my black shell Leeds and burgundy shell Daltons. The stuff's expense and reputation are completely justified -- that quintessential soft glow suddenly appeared.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › JoHn@WWE Extreme Rules Live Stream Free Extream Rules 2015 Season 2 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 6 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...