Fair enough, I saw the description. I just think that both the creases and the sheen screams "shell."
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Mora 2.0, McTavish, Neumok, Park Ave, Fifth... Last post on 12/10/13 at 10:31pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $100 shoe Last post on 8/3/13 at 1:20am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1205
Styleforum Top Picks
I think the small wrinkle on the upper of the left shoe (at the place where the pinky toe would be) is too fine. You could always ask the seller if they are shell cordovan. If he says yes and they actually are not, you can just return.
Ha- but they are actually not Bates. I came in back in 1998 so I was issued Wolverine brand shoes with a production date of 1996.
They are still holding on! Had to resole them the first time at the 12 year mark. The rubber sole finally gave out so I went with leather, but I went through that really fast.
They are still ok for normal day wear but for dress uniform use they are looking a little rough.
Maybe I'll use this line of thought on my wife to explain why I need another pair of AEs!
Wow am I out of the loop! I retired a few years before you came in But still have 10 years to go in Civ World working before I'm really retired for good. I've been out long enough now that when I see shoes with leather exposed and no polish I find it easier to fight the urge to walk over to them and say "How about standing a little closer to the Kiwi next time!"
You certainly know how to take care of your shoes no matter who makes them. The ability to have a good shoe resoled is one of the things I try to explain to people when they ask about my shoes and ask how much they cost, etc. Quite a few people have asked me at work about them over the years but they still (usually) end up buying those made in China clown shoes instead. I would still use it on your wife though!
In the wild pics of my vintage shell MacNeils that I polished up the other day. Love em!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And I love 'em too, well done. Talk about Black Cherry #8....
As do I, always nice shots.
Is there any way to polish my burgundy shell MacNeils to look like this? I use AE's shell cream and all it gives me is a dark burgundy finish. Suggestions appreciated! Love the shoe, but find the color too dark!
Edit: Mine aren't vintage but only 6 months old.
The Mac Method might be a good place to start with your shell care. I don't know how much you should do to preemptively change the color, but they might lighten a bit over time.
It's worth the trip if you have at least two hours to kill. I've been there several times and I don't think I've ever left empty handed. It makes for a good opportunity to try on a lot of different shoes in sizes very close to your normal size that sometimes make for a better fit than you'd think. If you head to the larger back part of the store--where the seconds are--they'll pretty much leave you alone to really scrounge around, they just check on you every so often to see if you need any help. If you find something you like but it doesn't quite fit, they can quickly find out if any of the other outlets has the right size for you.
I agree with Sizzle. Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.
Yep and I agree with this totally. First thing I do when I get new AE shell is strip the factory cream off.
For decades shell meant #8, and most all men just used black polish on them, and a few blue polish. Too much gunks them up but a little now and then helps get the patina a bit faster so you end up with that "Black Cherry" look. Time and brushing.
I've been using Venetian Shoe Cream but just this past week picked up some Renovateur, which promptly got applied to my black shell Leeds and burgundy shell Daltons. The stuff's expense and reputation are completely justified -- that quintessential soft glow suddenly appeared.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Recent purchases - Part II 8 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 15 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 29 seconds ago
- › If you wear Creed, kindly get ITT 51 seconds ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 1 minute ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 2 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 3 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw