or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1142

post #17116 of 49524
To the gentleman who got the sweet deal on shell patriot congrats I could not come any where close to your price
post #17117 of 49524
Question:

Does anyone know of a shoe similar to Alden's longwing in the tobacco color?

Like this? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

I love that shade of brown.

Any other options from AE or others in the < $300 price point?

What I've seen from AE and don't like:
- Walnut color is too light
- Burnished brown is too dark
- Haven't seen bourbon in person, but I'm guessing that it's a bit darker
- The MacNeil longwing from AE just doesn't have as nice of a shape as the Alden

I looked at Meermin's longwing, but the leather seems kind of boring and plastic looking in person, such as here: http://cdn.styleforum.net/a/a0/a0692875_IMG_0287.jpeg
post #17118 of 49524



Dalton in Walnut shell. Half size too small frown.gif
post #17119 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

To the gentleman who got the sweet deal on shell patriot congrats I could not come any where close to your price

Second that. If I had the chance I would have bought all colors, just love this style.

post #17120 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


100% overkill and a complete waste of money and space.

I have two brushes...browns/tan and black and thats with 30+ pairs of shoes


Having a $7 brush per color is overkill?  How about having 30+ pairs of shoes?  What do you call that?


Edited by jjr4884 - 3/11/13 at 1:30am
post #17121 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post


Having a brush per color is overkill?  How about having 30+ pairs of shoes?  What do you call that?

I'd call that a pretty good start. wink.gif

post #17122 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post




Dalton in Walnut shell. Half size too small frown.gif

Hey Namor what size are they?
post #17123 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Dalton in Walnut shell. Half size too small frown.gif

N, just no luck with some of the boots recently eh? Sorry to hear about that. Can you exchange?
post #17124 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerostyle View Post

Question:

Does anyone know of a shoe similar to Alden's longwing in the tobacco color?

Like this? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp

I love that shade of brown.

Any other options from AE or others in the < $300 price point?

What I've seen from AE and don't like:
- Walnut color is too light
- Burnished brown is too dark
- Haven't seen bourbon in person, but I'm guessing that it's a bit darker
- The MacNeil longwing from AE just doesn't have as nice of a shape as the Alden

I looked at Meermin's longwing, but the leather seems kind of boring and plastic looking in person, such as here: http://cdn.styleforum.net/a/a0/a0692875_IMG_0287.jpeg

 

That looks pretty identical to AE's new bourbon color.  AE has a bunch of new longwings in 2013, not sure which come in bourbon.

post #17125 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post




Dalton in Walnut shell. Half size too small frown.gif

 

Did you go with a 12D?  The 1 last is pretty true to size for me.

post #17126 of 49524
i bought a 11.5D. cant find it in 12D. nice boot though
post #17127 of 49524

I was really hoping those shell daltons weren't 11.5D... Must...Resist!

post #17128 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb06 View Post

I ordered my Walnut Strands on Friday morning and they arrived Saturday morning (apparently The Flash is doing delivery work now - I wasn't expecting them until next week!). Regarding polishing them, I simply clean them off with a cotton rag and the AE cleaner/conditioner then wait about 15 minutes or so for them to dry. Then, I used a moderate amount of the AE Walnut polish on the whole Strand shoe, including the medallion on the cap. After applying the polish, yes, my shoes also had the 'little holes' fill in with polish as well. However, I let them dry for around 45 minutes or so (which I realize is overkill) and the extra polish in the holes disappared, although I have no idea how. I next used a horsehair brush (so far only used on Walnut shoes) to remove much of the polish. The brush also did a great job getting most of the (relatively little) polish from the shoes' brogueing (sp?) holes. Then, I used a clean cotton rag to really buff them. I don't see any polish left over anywhere, including the holes themselves. I will say that I tried their stencil dauber to work the little holes but the hairs fall out of the dauber like crazy. Honestly, I don't see any advantage of using it vs. a regular brush. As far as number of brushes go, right now I have one for Walnut and one for black as those are the only two shoes I own. When I eventually get Bourbon I'll probably get one exclusively for that color as well. Could be overkill, but brushes are no more expensive than a nice treat from Starbucks and I'd rather be cautious. Hope this helps!

 

Your shoe care regimen is simple and reasonable, and you should get well over a decade of service from them using this method.  The reason that the polish in the broguing disappeared is because the moisture from the polish was absorbed into the leather, and the remaining residue contracted.  The leather within each brogue hole needs to stay well hydrated because the full grain of the leather is exposed since the holes are created by a punch being driven through the full depth of the leather.  People who try to avoid getting polish into the holes are doing a great disservice to their shoes.  As the leather becomes better hydrated through subsequent polishings it will likely not disappear as readily because the fibers will be better nourished.  Getting the polish out of the broguing isn't a big deal.  If the holes are so clogged up that it becomes difficult, then too much polish is being applied.  If the horsehair brush brush or stencil dauber won't get the excess out using a good brushing, then a quick swipe with a toothpick will take care of it. 

post #17129 of 49524

if you use a q-tip or even cut one in half, that fits perfect in the larger brogueing. 

post #17130 of 49524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

if you use a q-tip or even cut one in half, that fits perfect in the larger brogueing. 

 

Also a great choice. fing02[1].gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread