or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1101

post #16501 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

nickurfe23, zchan, and MoneyWellSpent, thanks for the thoughtful responses. It's interesting to me that the "rough" Finch has the single sole while the calfskin Shelton has a double oak sole. So while the Finch would be "just another" Rough Collection shoe, it would be my only casual shoe with a single sole. And while the Shelton would be my only calfskin casual shoe (assuming Tan Elgin and Cognac McTavish are both cowhide?), it would be another with "clunkier" double soles.

 

So is it just the leather quality that makes them "fit into the same niche"? The part of me that's drawn to the Tan Finch is the same part that drew me to the other two Rough Collection shoes, so it's a battle between "go with the one you were drawn to first" and "don't keep getting the same type of shoe".

 

Also, if I'm honest, part of the problem is a feeling that I better get the Finch now since it's discontinued. But I'm not sure that's a legitimate enough reason, since if I got the Finch now I likely wouldn't get the Shelton later.

 

Yeah, the single sole on the Finch was actually my only negative on it.  I think the split-reverse welt adds some substance to it's profile, so it still looks perfectly balanced in my opinion.  I just like the idea of a double sole for durability sake.  The Elgin and McTavish are definitely both made of cowhide.  As I said in my previous post, I think the sole on the Shelton looks rather refined in spite of being a double sole due to it's rounded profile and traditional welt.  I think the split-reverse welt on the Finch with it's natural color contrast against the tan upper actually creates a similar level of heft and therefore they are about the same in my opinion regarding "clunkiness." 

 

Yes, I think it is the heavy leather combined with traditional men's dress shoe styling that puts all of them into the same niche (color differences aside).  I absolutely love every Rough Collection shoe that was introduced last year (not as much of a fan of some of this year's introductions), and I think there is enough differences between them to warrant having all of them if your budget allows.   

post #16502 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

 

Wearing my recently re-crafted walnut Evanstons today.  Really hoping we can get this or the Soho custom ordered for us!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

These are nice. They look a lot like the C&J Westbourne, but at half the price. Were they available in other colors?

 

Regarding the Soho, does it make a good alternative to the Park Ave? I like the cap line placement better than the PA, and would consider a pair in black, assuming they are dressy enough (single leather sole, etc).

 

Another potential alternative to the Soho is Grenson's Lewie.  Although both are goodyear welted, I still much prefer the fit and quality of AE over Grenson any day.

 

 

post #16503 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post


Another potential alternative to the Soho is Grenson's Lewie.  Although both are goodyear welted, I still much prefer the fit and quality of AE over Grenson any day.




woof, those grensons are ugly
post #16504 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

woof, those grensons are ugly

The toe box is definitely too "country" for the rest of the shoe. Unfortunately since the old Grenson Masterpiece lines had such nice lasts.

I used to have a pair of AE on the 0 last and thought it was much better than the 5. For me, the heel to toe distance was more appropriate on the 0 than the 5. The small squared off toe of the 0 was also a nice touch.
post #16505 of 49663
Possibly my favorite AE shoes ever.





Followed by these.

post #16506 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs View Post

Possibly my favorite AE shoes ever.





Followed by these.

 

How did you get your hands on the Franciscan in brown?  AE's site only has it in black and walnut at the moment.

post #16507 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Yeah, the single sole on the Finch was actually my only negative on it.  I think the split-reverse welt adds some substance to it's profile, so it still looks perfectly balanced in my opinion.  I just like the idea of a double sole for durability sake.  The Elgin and McTavish are definitely both made of cowhide.  As I said in my previous post, I think the sole on the Shelton looks rather refined in spite of being a double sole due to it's rounded profile and traditional welt.  I think the split-reverse welt on the Finch with it's natural color contrast against the tan upper actually creates a similar level of heft and therefore they are about the same in my opinion regarding "clunkiness." 

 

Yes, I think it is the heavy leather combined with traditional men's dress shoe styling that puts all of them into the same niche (color differences aside).  I absolutely love every Rough Collection shoe that was introduced last year (not as much of a fan of some of this year's introductions), and I think there is enough differences between them to warrant having all of them if your budget allows.   

 

Thanks again for the responses. I think I'm going to give the BB Shelton a try for 199-35=$164.

post #16508 of 49663

Just got my pair of AE Dalton Greys in the mail--amazing shoes with a dark grey textured look just as it looks on the official site. 

 

 

 

 

post #16509 of 49663

Since I'm new here and my message got stuck in the "magical black box", as they say, and then got posted on an earlier page. I'm reposting because I'm afraid nobody saw it. Hope it's ok to do that!

By the way, nice pictures, shomo! I wasn't so sure myself about the grey, but it looks nice.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post

I also have a question (I mean, some questions) about the Daltons.

First, I never bought anything else than cheap generic shoes and I never had to care about the width.  Usually I fit a 9 1/2, sometimes a 10. Now I only started being interested in real shoes and the Daltons really grabbed my attention.

One problem is that I have a higher insteap on the right foot. Another problem: I live in Canada, so I can't go to an AE store and try different sizes. All I could find in Montreal was a 9 1/2 D and a 10 D. 10 fit better, but was still not comfortable enough. It hurts the foot at the bottom of the tongue, where there is a stitch.

Third problem: I don't feel confident enough to pay full price for these, so I thought about buying seconds. I'm saying this because I could order 10 E at Harry Rosen in Montreal, but I'd have to pay the full price. That's too much for me, for a first pair of shoes that I won't wear daily (I work home, these would be for a dressy casual look).

I'd like to know if you guys think a 9 1/2 EEE would be a good idea, as suggested by the guy at the Shoe Bank who answered my e-mails. He said he didn't have any 9 1/2 or 10 E, and suggested 9 1/2 EEE or 10 D. I already know the latter is too tight, but I don't know about the other option.

Also I don't know how much breaking in the shoes will help. What's your advice, people? Please share your experience with me.

post #16510 of 49663


Just got these in today and love them
post #16511 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post



Just got these in today and love them

Welcome to the club. I love mine. One of the biggest bargains ever, too!
post #16512 of 49663
Visited my AE store this evening.

First, latest on the new shell is that they should be revealed next week as the new Webgem - so right after this current Neumok Webgem ends. The person did not know anything more about which models will be offered, nor about specific colors. He thinks there is something additional to cappuccino. So we'll be in suspense for another several days!

Then the bad news for me. I went in with the intention of taking advantage of the S4S program to buy some Waltons in Chili. Not only did they not have my size in the store, but they are completely sold out of Chili in my size across the system. They don't even have leather uppers in stock and ready to be put into production! So I was told likely 6-8 weeks, but the SA didn't even want to give me a timeframe. i guess they are really popular, though I'm surprised they don't keep more stock of their classics. I'll probably wait for AE retail stores to get them back in stock, rather than buying from somewhere else, since they've been so helpful.

But that now means my attention has turned to the shell Strand. I'm going to wait to see what develops next week, and either get the new color if offered, or get the browns.
post #16513 of 49663
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

 

How did you get your hands on the Franciscan in brown?  AE's site only has it in black and walnut at the moment.

 

 

 

The franciscan still looks a little odd to me because of the non-traditional style. Maybe it will grow on me though!

post #16514 of 49663
Just took advantage of the Soles for Souls promotion to order my first pair of AEs. Went with the boring but requisite black Park Avenues. I used the size guide on the Allen Edmonds website, and according to that, I'm a 10.5D, which is exactly what I expected. If they don't fit, I'll return them to an AE store and have them size me when I'm in Houston in a couple weeks.

Looking forward to my first AEs! Some beautiful shoes in this thread. I'd like to get a pair of Fifth Avenue in brown burnished calf next.
post #16515 of 49663
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Visited my AE store this evening.

First, latest on the new shell is that they should be revealed next week as the new Webgem - so right after this current Neumok Webgem ends. The person did not know anything more about which models will be offered, nor about specific colors. He thinks there is something additional to cappuccino. So we'll be in suspense for another several days!

Then the bad news for me. I went in with the intention of taking advantage of the S4S program to buy some Waltons in Chili. Not only did they not have my size in the store, but they are completely sold out of Chili in my size across the system. They don't even have leather uppers in stock and ready to be put into production! So I was told likely 6-8 weeks, but the SA didn't even want to give me a timeframe. i guess they are really popular, though I'm surprised they don't keep more stock of their classics. I'll probably wait for AE retail stores to get them back in stock, rather than buying from somewhere else, since they've been so helpful.

But that now means my attention has turned to the shell Strand. I'm going to wait to see what develops next week, and either get the new color if offered, or get the browns.

 

Wow, that is pretty crazy.  Sorry to hear that!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread