Received my Brown Sanderson today. Just like my RL Illford seconds (purchased at $199, so for those buying at $130, you guys are very fortunate), I can't find the flaws that made them 2nd quality. There are slight scuffs on the sole of one shoe near the toe area but that seems inconsequential, especially when I plan to install toe plates.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 5:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 12:44 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on Today at 6:38 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1022
Styleforum Top Picks
Originally Posted by Cold Iron
Just got the latest seconds list for 10D. There is now a pair of walnut shell Strands on it for $373.15
what other list do you have? they won't acct gift certs with 2nds do they? i have a $100 credit and would buy those in a heartbeat for $273 out of my pocket. do they tell you what is wrong with them?
They do accept gift cards at the outlets. I've tried using it with a shoebank order before
As I posted earlier, I've been shopping for a winter boot. I was considering the Long Branch, but I ended up going with a pair of Cheaney from England. Just got them today:
I decided my requirements were:
- For use in "urban" snow, slush and rain. i.e.: not looking for a serious hiking boot here
- Commando sole (tired of Dainite and wanted to try something different for snow)
- Goodyear welted
- Easy to get on and off
- Roomy last. This is really important to me, because I want to wear midweight wool socks with them, not dress socks
I'd actually starting thinking about this based on a Tricker's MTO boot that showed up in the Tricker's thread. I ended up browsing the Shoehealer website (Shoehealer is a Tricker's a supplier and is often mentioned on the Tricker's board), as well as a few other English shoe sellers. I ended up purchasing from Shoehealer.
First, on the boots. I was not thinking of getting a boot this tall, but after seeing and talking to Richard at Shoehealer, it seemed like an OK proposition. The speed hooks at the top really make the boot easy to get on and off. The leather is very nice, but thin. There is something about the leather used in British shoes that is different from US shoes, and I've found this to be fairly consistent. The leather is much softer and smoother, particularly the lining. However, while I think it is fine for what I will use these for, I don't think these would have enough support and heft for serious hiking, hunting, sports, etc.
They have a nice, wide toebox, so that in my "normal" size, they are big enough to wear with boot socks. I'm very pleased with the fit. Construction is Goodyear welted, with Veldshoen-type construction forward of the heels. Also very well finished.
I've not taken these out for a spin yet, but looking forward to the next snow!
BTW, these came in just under $400, including shipping. So these are very comparable in price to the AE Dalton, and a little more than the Long Branch. I think the Long Branch, in particular, uses slightly heavier and stiffer leather than these.
Here are a couple more pics, including the goodies that came with the boots. I cannot say enough about Richard at Shoehealer should anyone be interested in English boots or shoes.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Finally, here are some links for anyone interested:
Cheaney web page for these boots: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/country-leisure/125/cheaney-fiennes-country-boots-in-burgundy-grain
Shoehealer website: https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/ (note: lock up your wallet before browsing the "Custom Made Tricker's Gallery"!)
$595. I think they are special order if you don't want brown.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Makr Ruck Sack 12 seconds ago
- › Truman Boots 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fjallraven Kanken Backpack - Laptop 15" 11 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 15 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 17 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 28 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 28 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread - updates, complaints, etc... 28 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015