or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1021

post #15301 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

I know I'm waaaay late for the 744 seconds, but I've been bitten by the fever for shell and need these. Does anyebody know if AE has some left in 8D?

Looks like someone bought some recently, so they might still be around. Email or call the Shoebank and ask; that's the only way to find out.
post #15302 of 48161
Thanks, I did shoot Jay Clay an email earlier today, but is it adviseable to contact the SB as well?
post #15303 of 48161

My recent purchases:

 

Bourbon Neumora sample for $79

Walnut grain Park Ave sample $79

Navy Suede Player sample for $79

Chili Lasalle $135

RL Sanderson $130

RL Singleton $130

post #15304 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

Thanks, I did shoot Jay Clay an email earlier today, but is it adviseable to contact the SB as well?

I think it would be probably be a good idea. Supposedly all the outlets have access to all the inventory, but when I bought mine I found that only the Shoebank said they had them. I don't why that is, but that's where I got mine.

Maybe they drop off loads of shoes at a particular store (seems like the Wolverine Krause boots were all at Jeffersonville, for instance), and it takes a while for them to put them all into the system for other stores to see.
post #15305 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtaylor View Post

My recent purchases:

 

Bourbon Neumora sample for $79

Walnut grain Park Ave sample $79

Navy Suede Player sample for $79

Chili Lasalle $135

RL Sanderson $130

RL Singleton $130

 

I'm with you on all of these, except for the walnut grain park avenues.  Regardless, six pairs of brand new AE's for $635 is pretty impressive.

post #15306 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post

Thanks, I did shoot Jay Clay an email earlier today, but is it adviseable to contact the SB as well?

Yes. Jay never responded to 2 of my emails in the prior sale.

post #15307 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

I'm with you on all of these, except for the walnut grain park avenues.  Regardless, six pairs of brand new AE's for $635 is pretty impressive.

 

Yes, I was hesitant, but for 80 why not

post #15308 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtaylor View Post

 

Yes, I was hesitant, but for 80 why not

Sad I missed out on these crazy deals. Any idea if there is still any availability left?

post #15309 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

Sad I missed out on these crazy deals. Any idea if there is still any availability left?

I think the $79 shoes were only size 9D, as they were samples? Not sure you missed out, unless that's your size.
post #15310 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2793 View Post

Newbie here. How do AE's fit compared to clarks desert boots? I'm considering picking up some park avenue seconds in black. I just need to get a black oxford cap for upcoming school events and interviews. Maybe ill buy a lesser brand for my first pair but just would like to know how to size

 

This will be a question that is nearly impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy.  If you are just getting into the high-end shoe market for the first time, you will just need to go spend some time in an AE store trying on different shoes (and shoes made on different lasts) and walking around in them for a few minutes.  If you have an AE outlet near you, it is a fantastic opportunity to go in and spend an hour trying on shoes since they are all out for you to access at your leisure without having to bother a sales associate. 

 

That said, here is a stab at answering your question...  I have never owned a pair of Clarks desert boots, but I tried on a pair once and they felt quite sloppy and unsubstantial to me.  You will be in for an adjustment with your first pair of high end shoes because goodyear-welted shoes have a feel of their own.  They will feel very stiff initially, but after a series of wearings they will feel very comfortable assuming they fit you properly.  Shoes like Clarks are mass produced on relatively shapeless, blobby lasts for a reason.  They want any average joe to be able to walk in regardless of their foot type and be able to pull on a pair and walk out of the store in them.  Any foam that is present inside cheaper shoes is also there for a reason.  Foam instantly forms around your foot to take up the "slack" for a shoe that doesn't fit you in an ideal way, and it allows nearly unlimited foot types to fit into the same shoe.  After growing up wearing cheap shoes (or even expensive ones that are still made of foam, like tennis shoes), a goodyear-welted shoe that fits properly will likely feel quite restrictive initially.  Some people think that massive amounts of wiggle room in the toes and other areas of the shoe is good, and when they suddenly have on a shoe that actually fits and is made of sturdy leather, they feel claustrophobic.  Welcome to a shoe that fits properly.  You should be able to wiggle your toes some, but they will feel like they are hitting a hard sturdy surface on all sides due to the substantial sturdy leather that quality shoes are made from.  Also, the natural leather insole that your foot will be resting on in a traditional AE shoe will feel really hard when you push on it with your fingers, and the bottoms of your feet may ache a bit after wearing them for the first series of wears.  Some people get spooked by this, but it is completely normal.  The insole will form to your foot as the cork compresses and forms a custom-like footbed.  Your feet are perfectly capable of walking on a surface that is even harder than leather and cork as long as they are properly supported.  Just like working out will be uncomfortable at first, you will get used to it and be better off in the long run.  Your feet don't need to be surrounded by soft foam for all day comfort, that is a myth.  This may have been more than you were asking for, so sorry for the long reply! 

post #15311 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

This will be a question that is nearly impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy.  If you are just getting into the high-end shoe market for the first time, you will just need to go spend some time in an AE store trying on different shoes (and shoes made on different lasts) and walking around in them for a few minutes.  If you have an AE outlet near you, it is a fantastic opportunity to go in and spend an hour trying on shoes since they are all out for you to access at your leisure without having to bother a sales associate. 

That said, here is a stab at answering your question...  I have never owned a pair of Clarks desert boots, but I tried on a pair once and they felt quite sloppy and unsubstantial to me.  You will be in for an adjustment with your first pair of high end shoes because goodyear-welted shoes have a feel of their own.  They will feel very stiff initially, but after a series of wearings they will feel very comfortable assuming they fit you properly.  Shoes like Clarks are mass produced on relatively shapeless, blobby lasts for a reason.  They want any average joe to be able to walk in regardless of their foot type and be able to pull on a pair and walk out of the store in them.  Any foam that is present inside cheaper shoes is also there for a reason.  Foam instantly forms around your foot to take up the "slack" for a shoe that doesn't fit you in an ideal way, and it allows nearly unlimited foot types to fit into the same shoe.  After growing up wearing cheap shoes (or even expensive ones that are still made of foam, like tennis shoes), a goodyear-welted shoe that fits properly will likely feel quite restrictive initially.  Some people think that massive amounts of wiggle room in the toes and other areas of the shoe is good, and when they suddenly have on a shoe that actually fits and is made of sturdy leather, they feel claustrophobic.  Welcome to a shoe that fits properly.  You should be able to wiggle your toes some, but they will feel like they are hitting a hard sturdy surface on all sides due to the substantial sturdy leather that quality shoes are made from.  Also, the natural leather insole that your foot will be resting on in a traditional AE shoe will feel really hard when you push on it with your fingers, and the bottoms of your feet may ache a bit after wearing them for the first series of wears.  Some people get spooked by this, but it is completely normal.  The insole will form to your foot as the cork compresses and forms a custom-like footbed.  Your feet are perfectly capable of walking on a surface that is even harder than leather and cork as long as they are properly supported.  Just like working out will be uncomfortable at first, you will get used to it and be better off in the long run.  Your feet don't need to be surrounded by soft foam for all day comfort, that is a myth.  This may have been more than you were asking for, so sorry for the long reply! 

Completely agree, and I think this is a helpful general answer to a lot of similar questions.

I would add this: Your "official" or "measured" size, as measured on a Brannock device, is going to correspond to dress shoes (give or take a little due to foot and last shape). So a 9D on the Brannock should correspond to a 9D in Allen Edmonds, and serve as your starting point.

In general, athletic shoes do not adhere to this sizing. For example, I wear 11 in dress shoes, but I wear 12 in almost every running shoe made. I don't know why this is, but I find it to be fairly consistent. The point is don't assume athletic shoe size is your "measured" shoe size.

I actually think Clark's are sized pretty close to measured shoe size, but I'm not sure. Take MoneyWellSpent's advice here and assume they are not.
post #15312 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtaylor View Post

My recent purchases:

 

Bourbon Neumora sample for $79

Walnut grain Park Ave sample $79

Navy Suede Player sample for $79

Chili Lasalle $135

RL Sanderson $130

RL Singleton $130

 

You win. $80 for AEs? What a deal.

post #15313 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


I think the $79 shoes were only size 9D, as they were samples? Not sure you missed out, unless that's your size.

 

Yes, my store said they order them periodically, and never know what they will receive.  9D only but there was a whole wall when I went last night

post #15314 of 48161

What a great deal!

Ive been looking for the Navy Suede players, which SB did you get them?

post #15315 of 48161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Completely agree, and I think this is a helpful general answer to a lot of similar questions.

I would add this: Your "official" or "measured" size, as measured on a Brannock device, is going to correspond to dress shoes (give or take a little due to foot and last shape). So a 9D on the Brannock should correspond to a 9D in Allen Edmonds, and serve as your starting point.

In general, athletic shoes do not adhere to this sizing. For example, I wear 11 in dress shoes, but I wear 12 in almost every running shoe made. I don't know why this is, but I find it to be fairly consistent. The point is don't assume athletic shoe size is your "measured" shoe size.


I actually think Clark's are sized pretty close to measured shoe size, but I'm not sure. Take MoneyWellSpent's advice here and assume they are not.

in my experience clarks DB run large.

i'm a 9.5D on the brannock, but wear an 8.5 in DBs.

I have a pair of AE elgins in 9D, and a pair of macneils that are 9.5D.
Edited by gastarbeider - 2/5/13 at 10:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread