or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 1015

post #15211 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

AE, Alden, j. Press, John Lobb, all within walking distance.

AKA: The Promised Land
post #15212 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounselorStyle View Post

All three of the NYC stores are within what I would consider walking distance of one another.  The fourth seems like an odd move.  I guess they want to be within lunch-break-trip distance for every lawyer, banker, and businessman in midtown? 

Yea the website said 43rd and 6th so just a few blocks from the Rockefeller location. I know it won't happen but wish they would come downtown. There's a big shoe mania that closed in Union Square - it could be the Mecca of AE! Wishful thinking.
post #15213 of 52499

Can anyone comment on the fit and sizing for the cordovan Dundee?  I've got the Dalton and the Bayfield which share the last with the Dundee.  Both my Daltons and Bayfields are in 11B with the Daltons being a little loose. 

 

 

Also, any pictures of the Dark Brown Shell Cordovan?  All I'm finding are the cappuccino cordovan pictures, which are aaammmmaaaazzzzing. 

post #15214 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby34 View Post

I've narrowed my choice down to the Park Avenues, but I have two honest questions I need help answering.


I live in Miami, where it rains often or there is constantly water in the street/sidewalk.

 

Should I go for leather soles, even though the water will be rough on them? Or Should I go for rubber soles since they seem to have a thin welt? If I go for rubber soles, I'd push for the VIP Rubber sole, which looks a bit dressier.

 

The next question is in regards to fit. I tried on the Brooks Brothers Park Avenues in a 10.5D after they said that was my size, but it felt tight and uncomfortable on the sides of my toes. Should I look for a E , EE or EEE in the Park Avenues? The Salesman said don't go wider, but I can't wear them the way he suggests without pain. I was thinking go to the E, but they didn't have anything wider than D to try on.

 

Thanks for any help....and for all the help you've given so far.

 

I prefer the leather soles but if they are going to see water on a somewhat consistent basis, go with a topy or have AE do it with the options they offer now.

 

As for the fit, 10.5D to 10.5E may not sound like a lot, but it is pretty wider.  If the 10.5D is a tad tight, or tight enough to know you are going to be in discomfort, I would actually try on a few sizes to see what works best. 

 

Depending on how long your foot is, an 11D might work better for you without having to go up a width size.  If not, and you do have a good amount of room in the toebox, then try a 10E as well as the 10.5E.

post #15215 of 52499
I always try to error on the side of slightly too wide compared to slightly too narrow. My feet always have something going on due to being active so I appreciate the space
post #15216 of 52499

The rubber sole on the Brooks Brothers is actually great and I find the insole more comfortable than the regular AEs

post #15217 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

I always try to error on the side of slightly too wide compared to slightly too narrow. My feet always have something going on due to being active so I appreciate the space

 

I would always go up in width if I was stuck between two, simply because of the fact that your feet do swell throughout the day, so that extra room will always be put to good use. 

post #15218 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostron View Post

The rubber sole on the Brooks Brothers is actually great and I find the insole more comfortable than the regular AEs


Is that the poron insole?

post #15219 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

Can anyone comment on the fit and sizing for the cordovan Dundee?  I've got the Dalton and the Bayfield which share the last with the Dundee.  Both my Daltons and Bayfields are in 11B with the Daltons being a little loose. 

 

Also, any pictures of the Dark Brown Shell Cordovan?  All I'm finding are the cappuccino cordovan pictures, which are aaammmmaaaazzzzing. 

I have the Dalton in walnut shell and both the CXL and black calf Bayfield's. And all 5 AE shell colors of the Dundee. The Dundee fit is somewhat in between the two other boots and just about perfect for me, I'd go with the 11B in your case. Just got the Dark Brown and Cappuccino Dundee's late last week and will try to get a picture up soon for you.

post #15220 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

Can anyone comment on the fit and sizing for the cordovan Dundee?  I've got the Dalton and the Bayfield which share the last with the Dundee.  Both my Daltons and Bayfields are in 11B with the Daltons being a little loose. 


Also, any pictures of the Dark Brown Shell Cordovan?  All I'm finding are the cappuccino cordovan pictures, which are aaammmmaaaazzzzing. 

I have a pair of the cappuccino cordovan Dundees. I have two other pairs of AE's (Wilbert & Hamptons) in the 1-last at the same size, 9D, and I find the Dundee to be looser fitting than the others. It works fine for me once the laces are tightened, but definitely more roomy. I'm uncertain if sizing down by half-size would have worked better, but it's fine as-is, especially if I wear thicker socks.

By the way, I don't think the looser fit of the Dundee is due to it being shell cordovan. I have a pair of cordovan Bradleys in size 9.5D (also 1-last), and the 9D Dundees are a little looser fitting than the 9.5D Bradleys.
post #15221 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

I have the Dalton in walnut shell and both the CXL and black calf Bayfield's. And all 5 AE shell colors of the Dundee. The Dundee fit is somewhat in between the two other boots and just about perfect for me, I'd go with the 11B in your case. Just got the Dark Brown and Cappuccino Dundee's late last week and will try to get a picture up soon for you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post


I have a pair of the cappuccino cordovan Dundees. I have two other pairs of AE's (Wilbert & Hamptons) in the 1-last at the same size, 9D, and I find the Dundee to be looser fitting than the others. It works fine for me once the laces are tightened, but definitely more roomy. I'm uncertain if sizing down by half-size would have worked better, but it's fine as-is, especially if I wear thicker socks.

By the way, I don't think the looser fit of the Dundee is due to it being shell cordovan. I have a pair of cordovan Bradleys in size 9.5D (also 1-last), and the 9D Dundees are a little looser fitting than the 9.5D Bradleys.


Thanks for the words of wisdom, fellas.  If I go ahead with the Dundees I may size down to 10.5B because I want to be able to wear them in warmer weather without thick socks.  Is the cappuccino color available through special order only currently? 

 

 Also, if I end up going with the non-special order dark brown cordovan color I would want to lighten up the welt (would love natural).  I've read elsewhere that this is easy to accomplish with some fine grit sandpaper, a steady hand and some plain edge treatment.  Anyone have experience with that? 

post #15222 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

 

I prefer the leather soles but if they are going to see water on a somewhat consistent basis, go with a topy or have AE do it with the options they offer now.

 

As for the fit, 10.5D to 10.5E may not sound like a lot, but it is pretty wider.  If the 10.5D is a tad tight, or tight enough to know you are going to be in discomfort, I would actually try on a few sizes to see what works best. 

 

Depending on how long your foot is, an 11D might work better for you without having to go up a width size.  If not, and you do have a good amount of room in the toebox, then try a 10E as well as the 10.5E.


Thanks for the advise, I used the Brannock and came in a tad under 10.5. I've worn size 11, 11.5 sneakers for the past few years and the E makes sense now. I never grew in foot size, I just got fatter, and my foot wider.

 

I'll look into the topy when AE calls back about fullfilling my order. I kind of prefer the rubber due to the amount of water and tile down here. But I'm probably going to heed some advice and get the leather.

post #15223 of 52499

I did it on a pair of old brown MacNeils.  My advice is to not use regular masking tape.  It took some of the finish off.

post #15224 of 52499
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post



Thanks for the words of wisdom, fellas.  If I go ahead with the Dundees I may size down to 10.5B because I want to be able to wear them in warmer weather without thick socks.  Is the cappuccino color available through special order only currently? 

 Also, if I end up going with the non-special order dark brown cordovan color I would want to lighten up the welt (would love natural).  I've read elsewhere that this is easy to accomplish with some fine grit sandpaper, a steady hand and some plain edge treatment.  Anyone have experience with that? 
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

I did it on a pair of old brown MacNeils.  My advice is to not use regular masking tape.  It took some of the finish off.

Are we talking about the welt or the edge of the shoe? It seems it would be tough to lighten the color of the welt given the welt stitching.
post #15225 of 52499

Does Allen Edmond still make the Lombards?

 

Do they have an wingtips that are open laced (bluchers)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread