No, the rough leathers are just slightly looser than their calf skin counter parts (speaking as someone who owns two pair of Neumoks).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:37am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:25 am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:43pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 948
Styleforum Top Picks
Strands in walnut
Delrays in dark brown
Bayfields in brown CXL
Daltons in burnished walnut
Johnston & Murphy black captoe's
Johnston & Murphy burgundy mid-wings
If anything I'm in need of a new pair of black plain cap toes.
For that price though wouldnt it be nice to just add them to the collection :)
I haven't fit in any of the 5 lasted shoes that I have tried on but I took a chance on the snuff suede neumoks during an Amazon sale and they fit me TTS.
I've noticed no difference between my Strands and Fifth Avenues, though I've only tried on the latter at home.
Is the leather rough? AE's description on the website says:
I figured that meant it wouldn't have the same problem conforming to the lasts that the Rough Collection leathers do.
Interesting. How did the traditional 5 lasts (mis)fit you? Maybe we can reverse engineer the different between them and the Neumoks.
[Sorry, in hindsight I should've multi-quoted.]
I have Mcallisters and Mctavishes in the 5 last and I size down a half size in all of them. I tried on the Neumoks going down half a size too and they fit perfectly.
To be clear, my normal size is 12E but I went down a half size to 11.5E for the 5 last shoes that I mentioned and they fit well.
So relative to those other 5 last shoes, I don't size down.
Thanks for the input guys, looks like theres not much between them to worry about.
I was thinking, how good would it be if AE would provide a shoe fit guide for each actual pair or at least each actual last? Their interactive printout is cool but pretty ineffective, it says I should be a 10.5 but that would be easily 1.5 sizes too big at least based off the strands/daltons im working off.
The "rough" leathers are soft and comfortable, yes. But they don't stretch the way calf does, at least to my experience. My calf Strand and PAs are noticeablely snugger than my Neumoks but not by much. Part of it is that the Neumoks are unlined, so they have more "give" to them than a lined shoe, the suede in particular.
Well, I don't know if there's exactly a "gap" in your collection, but the amount of broguing on the Strands differentiates it enough from plain captoes that I'd feel it was worth adding, and at $150, you can bet I'd grab a pair (I don't have Strands in black either).
I'm sorry for disagreeing, but there seem to be more differences. Certainly, some are aesthetic, in the form of chunkier, heavier soles and rougher finishing around the seams, as well as those you mentioned. However, the leather on some of them (McTavish and Elgin) seem a lot stiffer, and AE reps will confirm that leather characteristic. Thus, they don't conform as tightly to the last and may result in a looser fit. Some of the unlined Neumoks get past it and conform more tightly. I know my Jingle Bell Moks fit a lot more snugly than my McTavish, and a lot more like my other 5-last shoes from the more classic lines.
I guess that's not completely disagreeing, but still, I think that's a minor part of the rough label.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 3 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Belgravia 10.5E Dark Oak Antique (184 last) 13 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 31 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 33 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 35 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...