or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 932

post #13966 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Just got the brown Hamptons in today. These shoes are stunning. I don't know why they didn't get more run. Maybe it's just a style you either love or hate.
This tag is sewn inside one of the shoes. Was this done for all shoes made this year?

My Flatirons I just got do not have that tag.

Chris
post #13967 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Just got the brown Hamptons in today. These shoes are stunning. I don't know why they didn't get more run. Maybe it's just a style you either love or hate.

This tag is sewn inside one of the shoes. Was this done for all shoes made this year?

I think this tag is only found on a few 90th anniversary styles, which are, as far as I know, Hamptons, Broadstreet, and Jodox (which has not appeared on the website yet). I just got the brown Hamptons as well and am very pleased with it. The 90th anniversary tag is a nice little touch.
post #13968 of 49927

My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands!

 

 

I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

 

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

3) The fringe on part of one shoe is bend up and a little ratty looking...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

4) There's a pretty noticeable discoloration right on one of the top caps..

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice about this -- Thanks!

post #13969 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Just got the brown Hamptons in today. These shoes are stunning. I don't know why they didn't get more run. Maybe it's just a style you either love or hate.
This tag is sewn inside one of the shoes. Was this done for all shoes made this year?

I have bought Jeffersons, McAllisters, Williams, Daltons, Patriots, Neumoks and Strands all this year, and none of them have this tag.

post #13970 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post

My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands!

 

 

I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

 

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

3) The fringe on part of one shoe is bend up and a little ratty looking...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

4) There's a pretty noticeable discoloration right on one of the top caps..

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice about this -- Thanks!

I'd return these to the store or send them back to AE. One minor flaw I could live with, even though it would bug me each time I saw it. But all of these... that is just to much. AE will make it right for you, I am sure of it. You will be glad you sent them back.

post #13971 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post

My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

 

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

3) The fringe on part of one shoe is bend up and a little ratty looking...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

4) There's a pretty noticeable discoloration right on one of the top caps..

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice about this -- Thanks!

 

I have a pair of walnut Strands and my pair do not have any of the above issues.  I don't know that any of the above issues individually are that terrible (knowing what we do about AE quality control) but when you put all of them together in one pair, I think they are not acceptable, especially since they are your first pair.  I would send them back for an exchange.

post #13972 of 49927
Agreed as well that the tag was only for specific throwback styles... both Broadstreets I purchased this year had the same tag, the other models I purchased new did not.
post #13973 of 49927

An 8.5D fits me in terms of length (but pretty tight if I try to do closed lacing) but a 9D fits me better in terms of width but I have about 1.5 inches of toe space. Which size should I go for?

post #13974 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post

My first pair of AE shoes just showed up, walnut Strands!




I was taking a closer look at them and noticed a few odd marks and finishes here and there. These are my first pair of shoes "above" something like Cole Haans, these are my first pair with interesting detail work on them, and these are my first pair in a lighter brown/tan. So I'm not sure if the things I noticed are actually quality issues, or if these are just the sort of things I should expect with these types of shoes. I'd appreciate it if some of the more experienced members would take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

1) The broguing right below the laces on one shoe seems a bit stretched and uneven, and the split is visible through it. (images hidden in spoiler tags) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






2) There are two darker spots on of the shoes that are also little bumps in the leather. They are fairly visible in the right light.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

3) The fringe on part of one shoe is bend up and a little ratty looking...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








4) There's a pretty noticeable discoloration right on one of the top caps.. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice about this -- Thanks!

My Strands have none of those issues. I think those would be acceptable, as seconds.
post #13975 of 49927
I would send those back. Should not be problem to exchange
post #13976 of 49927

I swung by the local AE store tonight, and, while ordering another pair of shoes, I asked if it would be possible to get bourbon McAllisters. Well, in case anyone is wondering, she said it looks like they'll be available in a little over a month (end of January or beginning of February). Now, that's just based off their computerized inventory/ordering system, but it makes sense, and I'm looking forward to that option. I considered placing an order right there, but I think I'll wait until I see them in person.

post #13977 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post


My Strands have none of those issues. I think those would be acceptable, as seconds.


Well, unfortunately I didn't pay seconds prices, lol. The sales guy who helped me in the store just sent me an e-mail to make sure they got delivered, so I'll start talking with him and see about exchanging them.

 

Thanks guys!

post #13978 of 49927
Is anyone else in love with the old Allen Edmonds Windsor monk strap boot? I wish they'd bring it back.

AE has no strap boot offerings, and there are no currently produced boots of this style in the AE price range.

post #13979 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarterStyle View Post

Is anyone else in love with the old Allen Edmonds Windsor monk strap boot? I wish they'd bring it back.
AE has no strap boot offerings, and there are no currently produced boots of this style in the AE price range.

I have an Alden black shell boot very similar to this one.

Currently Alden sells a boot like the one in the picture - The George Boot - and it is offered in black shell and color 8. But it does run $625-ish ...........
post #13980 of 49927
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post


I much prefer the look of the Kenilworth. I think the double sole of the Leeds just makes it look too bulky. Then again, it's not how tall it is that bothers me but rather how wide it is. What's the terminology for these different sole "profiles"?

Incidentally, I also much prefer the distinct pieces of leather between the quarters and the vamp of the Kenilworth. If there's any nomenclature describing that difference, I'd love to know it too.

Both shoes are considered PTBs, but that's where the similarities end. While the kenilworth is sleeker (5 last) than the leeds (1 last), the leeds is a much more substantial shoe, not to mention the shell v. calf difference. The leeds is also much easier, IMO, to wear casually. I have the leeds in burgundy shell, dark brown shell, and black shell. I used to have the kenilworth in dark brown calf. I sold it after a few wears. Just too skinny and "wimpy" for a PTB - at least for my personal style. And I even like the 5 last!!

But I do acknowledge that many like the kenilworth. I have no issue with that.

Shell Leeds are 595; calf kenilworths are 295. So this is quite a difference too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread